Good Idea to Bring Refillable Mug on DCL???

We did the parks before our cruise so we had our refillable mugs with us. We used a fresh paper cup to refill our mug each time. I really liked having them as they held more and kept the drink cool longer in the hot sun. We had a few people ask us where they could buy them. I do recommend bringing some king of insulated drink cup :)

How does WDW avoid the "unsanitary" nature of refill stations?????

Thanks!:goodvibes

Our last cruise in August of last year, there was a castmember who stood at the beverage station on deck 9 and filled the cups for you. If you came in with a cup from the ship, they handed you a fresh one.If you wanted a refill mug filled, theyd give you the cups from the ship to fill it.As many as you needed. There was certain times of the day/night there was no one there, and you were supposed to use common sense.There is a sign asking you to use a fresh cup each time you wanted a drink.

I don't get it, I use a refillable mug when I am at WDW. As you know it comes with a lid that snaps on. The rim of the the mug never touches my lips..... :confused3

we are spending two nights at BLT before our cruise. We are doing deluxe dining not only so we can do a couple of signature restaurants but so we can have the refillable mugs for the cruise and our subsequent four nights at AKV.

When DCL first started and soda was not free, you would buy a refillable mug to use at the Deck 9 beverage station. They didn't have any problems with it then, so it's not really a problem now. It is easy to fill a cup without touching the nozzle, just make sure to wash your mug every night and be careful not to touch the top part of the mug to any sanitary surface. In this day and age, there i no need to further pollute our world by wasting thousands of paper cups.

I'm trying to gauge the size of the cups, can anyone tell me how many DCL cups would it take to fill a resort mug?

You know what? Regardless of you licking you mug or not, or using a big gulp cup or not or what you do at home or in WDW, DCL requests that you use a new cup when you get your free sodas. Why is it that there are people here who don't want to follow the rules or have such an objection to it? If DCL didn't think there was a germ issue, they most likely would not have discontinued the refillable mugs. To me it's simple, we all paid good money to go on a cruise, none of us wants to get sick while at sea or after we get home. No one is so special that the rules and requests don't apply to them.

There are mug washing stations at WDW where you are supposed to wash out the mug before reusing it. People don't do that either. And there is always some one complaining about getting "food poisoning" from Pop Century or some other hotel at WDW. Ask them how many times they refilled a mug, maybe the person before them refilled with a mug that they shared between 6 family members and then just stuck it back under the nozzle. Have you ever seen kids refilling things? They are not always able to do it the way an adult would.

Just like when you go to Home Town Buffet or any other buffet restaurant, they ask you to use a new, clean plate.

Have you ever seen kids refilling things? They are not always able to do it the way an adult would.

Saw some kids at the Contemporary drink station once pressing the levers with their fingers and putting their mouths under the nozzle (thus eliminating the need to use cups at all). Fortunately they had two drink stations so I just made sure I got drinks from the other one.

Saw some kids at the Contemporary drink station once pressing the levers with their fingers and putting their mouths under the nozzle (thus eliminating the need to use cups at all). Fortunately they had two drink stations so I just made sure I got drinks from the other one.

I know it not funny but...........

Another problem with soda fountain dispensers is mold tends to grow on the outside of the spigot. If they are not carefully cleaned, it can be an issue.
Our local health department posts all the health inspections on the web, and that is a very common violation.
Another common violation, food needs to be stored at least 6 inches off the ground...EVEN canned goods.

I'm trying to gauge the size of the cups, can anyone tell me how many DCL cups would it take to fill a resort mug?

2 or 3 at the most I think.Your talking the new style taller thinner ones not the older, shorter thicker ones?

Saw some kids at the Contemporary drink station once pressing the levers with their fingers and putting their mouths under the nozzle . . .
I've seen kids do this at the Deck 9 beverage station. Ewww.

Woody

You can bring it, but will have to use the solo cups to fill it. If a CM sees you, they will even let you know that in a kind manner. If they see too many people refilling or there gets to be an outbreak on the ship, they will post someone by thr drink station to do all of the soda filling for you.

The drink station is one of the largest source of GI outbreaks, so it is watched very close. They are not watching to see how much a person is drinking, but instead how they are filling....

Hope that helps.:goodvibes:goodvibes

I didn't realise the cups were that small.

If I remember correctly, they are the small cups that you would get if you went to a counter service rest.at one of the parks and got a childs meal,or a McDs child size cup.There may be some bigger ones I honestly dont remember. I want to say the cups I remember are about 8 ounce servings or so, and the new mugs are around 16-24 ounce range as a guess.

I hope you mentioned this to a CM. One time, at a Chinese buffet restaurant, there was a young teenager who picked up some food with his hands, looked at it, and then put it back into the serving dish. I told the restaurant worker ASAP who then took the tray and dumped it. The kid was old enough to know better, but maybe his parents never taught him.

Since we are sharing "horror" stories, last time on the Magic I watched a ~4-5 year old, help himself to bacon(mum was doing her own breakfast) he dropped a load of it on the floor, yes by the way that was THE floor, he picked it up with his hands(not that that mattered) and went to put it back on the tray I shouted out loud (I tried not to just couldnt help it) "no,thats gross" then he started crying, the mum started shouting, food was dumped on the floor and I made the sharpest exit I could out the place and NEVER went to a buffet the rest of the cruise.
FYI, the kid was actually shouting at his mum that he was too young to be doing it himself and she should be doing it " if he is that clever youd think he should know not to do what he was doing:confused3
Anyway, I am sure it can happen to anybody.

Ok...just curious...when you go to a restaurant at home that has the fill-it-yourself beverage station, do you get a new cup each time? I don't think I've ever seen anyone do that. And, I also don't touch the beverage dispenser with the rim of my cup. I use the side of the cup or my hand to push the handle. I will certainly respect Disney's rules and use a cup to fill my mug (I like having the insulated cup and don't want to be running back to the beverage station all the time, either) but I do think this rule is a little over the top. JMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter