• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Good fences make good neighbors

Tralliam

Mouseketeer
I have a question for the DIS, we need to replace our fence. The 2 sides we're going to do have the pickets facing our yard so it's technically "ours".

If you were the other side of the fence and I asked you if you would like to share some of the costs, would you be willing? If so, 50/50 or some other split.

I don't think they should feel obligated to do this, but it would be nice to defer some of the cost with those that would share in the benefits.

We just recently put up a fence and didn't ask anyone to share. Our next door neighbor had put up fence first and didn't ask for us to share. If you want a fence, you pay for it is how I look at it.

I wouldn't ask a neighbor to share in the cost of my fence. I wouldn't want them to think they can have a say in the type of fence or that they could do anything to it in the future because they paid for part of it.

I would be seriously offended if a neighbor asked me to pay for half of the side of the fence on my yard. What good is half a fence to me if I don't have one on the other side of my yard or gates connecting it to my house?

Thanks for the replies, this is what I was thinking as well, but after a company gave us an estimate which included this suggestion it got me thinking.

I have a question for the DIS, we need to replace our fence. The 2 sides we're going to do have the pickets facing our yard so it's technically "ours".

If you were the other side of the fence and I asked you if you would like to share some of the costs, would you be willing? If so, 50/50 or some other split.

I don't think they should feel obligated to do this, but it would be nice to defer some of the cost with those that would share in the benefits.
I live in a townhouse and when we were putting up our fence, our neighbor came over and asked if we would be wiling to let her share when she was ready to build hers. We said sure and we split the cost. No problems at all

I've never heard of asking neighbors to split the cost of your fence with you. We're putting up a fence this summer and have never thought to ask anyone on any side to share in the cost (lol, we're putting it up mainly so we don't have to deal with the awful neighbors behind us -- I'd be risking bodily harm asking them ANYTHING!).

Also, make sure to check with city ordinances to see whether the fence posts have to be on the inside or can be on the outside (so that you get to see the "pretty" side). In our city, all fences have to be "pretty side" facing out.

Whose yard is the fence on? Technically, that is whose fence it is. No, I would not pay 1/2 of your fence.

We have a fence separating our property line with our neighbors.

The fence is leaning, because we both have dogs and they all jump against the fence.

The neighbors built a fence in the back of their yard.

DH told the neighbor that if he would build a wood fence on the property line (neighbor told us he was getting a Rottweiler in a year - there is NO WAY the current fence would hold up against a dog that size) that we would pay for all of the materials.

To us, it is a win/win situation. We get an inexpensive fence for the cost of materials. To the neighbor it is a win/win situation. They get an inexpensive fence for just labor.

The neighbor was ecstatic at that idea. And DH and I are thrilled too.

If your sharing a fence with these people, then yes i would definitely want to be consulted, and i'd definitely pitch in $!! its rude not to!! I wouldnt want my neighbour putting up a fence without my input. In my hometown believe it or not we have fencing committees. its just the norm that when you put up a fence, your neighbour gives money as well.

Around here, we usually share the cost of fencing. Because of the CCR's, we can only put up one type of fence and since it's a suburban subdivision, every property has fences. We'll be asking our neighbors to pay for their share of shared fencing, but if they say "no", we'll ask if it's OK for us to replace the falling-down fence & have it put up on our dime. It's just the norm for neighbors to share the cost.

at my old house my neighbor got an estimate and i offered to pay half of cost for sections between houses... then had contractor do rest of my yard while he was on job.. by the way how much was your estimate, i need a wood fence at my new house now and chainlength fence removed. about $ 4000 to
$5000 ? doesnt matter disney has my fence money

If I was fencing in my yard I wouldn't dream of asking the neighbor to split the cost.

I also wouldn't be putting the pretty side facing so that the outside had the horizontal boards that the pickets get nailed on to right there for anyone to climb up them and get into my yard.

If I was fencing in my yard I wouldn't dream of asking the neighbor to split the cost.

I also wouldn't be putting the pretty side facing so that the outside had the horizontal boards that the pickets get nailed on to right there for anyone to climb up them and get into my yard.

This. We replaced our fence a few years ago and wouldn't have dreamed of asking either neighbor to split the cost. I also made sure the flat, pretty side was facing out because both neighbors had kids and I didn't need them climbing into our yard willy-nilly. The hooligans next door kept trying to tunnel under the fence as it was, I wasn't giving them any help.

thanks for all the interesting responses and anecdotes, I have to let them know it will be down for two days while the work is done. I guess I won't ask them to split the cost but who knows maybe they will offer.

The "pretty" side will face the street on the front but on the yard to yard sides we're going to leave it as it is with the "pretty" side facing us. Not too worried about our neighbors climbing into our yard.

The estimate is around $14 per linear foot, $2 per foot for removal of the old fence, $250 jackhammer fee to dig the holes for the posts (we're only 6" above bedrock), total price for 147 linear feet is around $2700

If you are a subdivision with an HOA then there are generally rules about the situation. In ours, if it is a shared fence then you are supposed to share the cost.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter