Good counter service restaurant not at a park?

Jenny-momof3

DIS Veteran
On one of our MK days we're looking at going for the morning only. Plan on swimming in the afternoon and then thought it might be nice to walk around a different resort ( not sure where :confused3 ) and have a CS meal. Suggestions?

I'd say Mara...

Not necessarily because the food is soooo spectacular - though it is very good - lots of standard c/s choices, along with African Stew, delicious soups and desserts - but the resort is really great to walk around.

You can grab your lunch, eat outside near the pool, then head over to the flamingo pond and look out over the savannah to see some of the animals. Then walk out to Arusha Rock for a different view and chat with one of the guides there. And if the weather doesn't cooperate, there's lots of native African art inside that really is beautiful, and there's lots of indoor areas that overlook the savannah's for animal viewing too.

This will sound strange, but I'm partial to the chicken at the POP food court.

Mara is a nice choice....Tons of seating inside and seating outside, nice selection of food, being able to explore the grounds.

Or

Pizza Window at Spoodles on the Boardwalk.... There is seating outside on the Boardwalk and great night time activities there....We always take at least one trip to the Boardwalk (when we are not staying down there) because we love to take a relaxing stroll down there, grab a bite to eat, a sweet treat from the candy shop, and stop to watch the fun along the Boardwalk.... The pizza is not on the dining plan which stinks...There is also a grab and go counter with fries, fried chicken and cheese...That is very good also for a quick bite and also not on the plan...We love the area down there enough to pay OOP.... It is cheap enough.

...one more vote for Wolfgang Puck Express.:thumbsup2

Rotisserie Chicken and the Creme Brulee are worth the trip alone

We like WG Pucks Express too. You could try one of the monorail,resorts and explore the 3 hotels on the monorail.

kae

Yeah, but other than the fact that you can eat steak for a CS credit, I don't know that CSR is really a "walk around and enjoy the grounds" kind of place the way you could at AKL, Poly, Boardwalk or DTD.

Although CSR may not have the animals of the AKL or the shops of the Boardwalk or DTD (and once we did Boardwalk we saw no reason to go back), I think the landscaping and different sections are just as lovely to walk around as the Poly. CSR is our favorite resort with the Poly second. And we love the Pepper Market.

Having stayed at all level from value to deluxe I think the values and the mods have the superior CS. However, I wouldn't plan a trip to them just to have CS and walk around. If I'm going to explore a resort, I would definitely choose deluxe! I would approach this from the opposite point of view. I would decide which resort would be the most fun to visit and then check out the dining options for that resort. In that case, I personally would chose the Poly, Boardwalk, or AKL to explore. JMHO

Yeah, but other than the fact that you can eat steak for a CS credit, I don't know that CSR is really a "walk around and enjoy the grounds" kind of place the way you could at AKL, Poly, Boardwalk or DTD.

I would disagree with you on that. The grounds are amazingly gorgeous and beautifully themed! I could walk there for hours. Also, there are many other great foods at the PM- burritos/taco/quesadillas, all kinds of Asian foods, salads, brick oven pizza, pastas.. everything made to order. :thumbsup2

It's not another resort, but we LOVED Wolfgang Puck Express in DTD.
That was going to be my suggestion, too.

We also really enjoyed the food court when we visited Port Orleans French Quarter. (It made me jealous, because I liked it better than ours at Saratoga Springs.) To add to the experience of exploring at POFQ, you could take the boat from Downtown Disney or maybe even take a horse-drawn carriage ride.

Wolfgang Puck Express DTD & for resorts, Pepper Market at CSR get my vote!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter