• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Good camera for less than $200

Octoberbride03

<font color=660000>I think Tweetie done gone Cucko
preferably less then $150.

Going on the Magic in 2 weeks. We already have a Kodak easyshare, which works great and is coming with us. Thing is like 8 years old and no signs of dying.

However I would like a new camera so both Dh and I can shoot pics. Last time i was a total camera hog:lmao:

Would also like something that does much better in the low light areas than our Kodak. Very grainy and well Pirate night pics will be a complete loss.

Don't need a DSLR, we're talking pretty much every day use and touristy stuff. Don't go on trips like this often. Most of the time we takes pictures of the dog.

Can be a little more than a point and shoot, but doesn't need to be fancy or waterproof or anything like that.

TIA:thumbsup2

I also have an older easyshare that keeps going but it is a larger model that I don't always feel like bringing with me. I bought a Nikon Coolpix camera a couple yeadrs ago it is a great pocket sized camera it takes great pics has a 5x optical zoom and the new model even takes HD video. The model I have is the s560 not sure of the new model number but you can find it at any electronics store for about $200.

Ya know what?

If there is such a thing as a disposable that takes good lowlight shots, just let me know what it is and I'll go that route.

I don't really care much right now.

http://sellout.woot.com/sale/21306

This is a very good deal on these types of cameras, which, of the point and shoots, delivers among the better pictures across a range of scenarios.

"Best," "low-light," and "point and shoot," are three categories that are difficult to find in one camera.

If you miss this deal, just google best cameras for under $200. There are generally 3-4 sites that routinely publish these lists. Of course, you'd probably want someone here who has used such a camera to recommend one. In truth, for the parameters you are describing, there isn't much distinguishing between them, especially in the low-light capability. The sensors on these cameras just aren't really made for low light pictures.

This is a very good deal on these types of cameras, which, of the point and shoots, delivers among the better pictures across a range of scenarios.

"Best," "low-light," and "point and shoot," are three categories that are difficult to find in one camera.

If you miss this deal, just google best cameras for under $200. There are generally 3-4 sites that routinely publish these lists. Of course, you'd probably want someone here who has used such a camera to recommend one. In truth, for the parameters you are describing, there isn't much distinguishing between them, especially in the low-light capability. The sensors on these cameras just aren't really made for low light pictures.

Thank you.

it doesn't really have to be point and shoot. But something less than DSLR which we really don't need. If I had my choice I'd live closer to my sister who just got a new fancy camera for her birthday last month. But I'm 4hrs south. Guess who's not borrowing it for her cruise:rolleyes1

This is actually an excellent little camera.

This is my flickr stream. All the recent concert photos were taken with a Panasonic Lumix. http://www.flickr.com/photos/alisonkl/

This is actually an excellent little camera.

This is my flickr stream. All the recent concert photos were taken with a Panasonic Lumix. http://www.flickr.com/photos/alisonkl/

Do we want the good news? OR the bad news?

Good news, did not miss out on the deal. Bad news, is the only shipping information I could find had me less than confident that my camera would arrive before we leave a week from Thursday.

Really didn't mean to leave it this long but the summer was filled with bad surprises all around and well here I am 10 days out from traveling.

So on the other stupid question side: How well does an LG phone camera shoot at night?

I'm guessing not well, But that's on my list of things to find out tonight.

I think its just time to say there will be no new camera before this cruise as i had hoped there would be. It'll be about 3-4 years until the next 1. Just hope i remember to find a decent 1 before then:lmao:

Thanks all.

Do we want the good news? OR the bad news?

Good news, did not miss out on the deal. Bad news, is the only shipping information I could find had me less than confident that my camera would arrive before we leave a week from Thursday.

Really didn't mean to leave it this long but the summer was filled with bad surprises all around and well here I am 10 days out from traveling.

So on the other stupid question side: How well does an LG phone camera shoot at night?

I'm guessing not well, But that's on my list of things to find out tonight.

I think its just time to say there will be no new camera before this cruise as i had hoped there would be. It'll be about 3-4 years until the next 1. Just hope i remember to find a decent 1 before then:lmao:

Thanks all.

Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC...6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1317075540&sr=1-6

They actually have a bunch in the under $200 category right now. I almost exclusively carry a dSLR but I've been quite pleased with the Lumix's.

Great pictures RadioNate. That looks like a good camera in capable hands

Thanks.

For being a cheap point and shoot you can get usable shots in really horrid lighting situations. A dslr could absolutely do better but for a camera that is less than $200 that fits in your pocket I've been really happy with the results.

It is noisy at it's highest ISO level but nothing unexpected. After I posted the link I remembered I took some last week so I threw those online with no processing.

Mine is actually cracked and held together with a hairband but I've been happy with it so I haven't replaced it yet.

I went to best buy the other day and played with a couple of Panasonics and what sealed the deal was the Oct. coupon book from BJs Club. They had a deal start on these yesterday for 129.99 included a 4GB card and camera case to go with. Actually kind of forgot about it last night so i just ordered it now and bumped it up to 2 day shipping, so it'll be here by Weds. And we'll spend the drive down fooling with it and reading the manual:lmao:

Good thing its a 12hr drive over 2 days. I am hoping that it ships tomorrow and gets here Tuesday, but we'll see. First time I have ordered from the website. Usually just shop in club, but this was a web only special or I'd have driven to my club tonight:thumbsup2

Thanks for the help and putting up with the whining etc. Its just been a long/frustrating week/month/summer and I was about tapped out the other night.

So with shipping and tax I wound up getting this camera for $147.51. Even Amazon didn't beat it.

one trick I have found when using a point and shoot camera at night is putting it on the sports setting. This gernerally gives you the highest ISO the camera is capeable of and doesn't generally use a flash. I also will focus on the brightest peice of the picture to get the fastest shutter speed possible in those conditions therefore hopefully eliminating blurr. I generally shoot with a DSLR but my dd is starting to have an interest so I help her play with her little $100 point and shoot.
Hope this helps :)
Have a wonderful vacation

Ok, I'll have to look for that when it gets here:thumbsup2
Our Kodak doesn't have a sports setting.

Thank you to all who helped me out

:worship::worship::worship:

Our Kodak died the morning after we went to St. Maarten. Not a surprise as it had been getting slow in recent weeks and fresh batteries did not really help when I replaced them the day before the trip. But 8 years is a good little life for that camera I think.

The Lumix got here the day before we left on Thursday and the paper manual took exactly 1 minute to read. It shows how to insert the memory card and battery, how to charge the battery and then tells me that the rest of the manual is on the CD ROM that came with the camera:lmao:

So since there was no time to do the CD ROM b4 we left and don't have a laptop the whole trip was shooting by the seat of our pants and playing with the buttons. :lmao:

So over the course of the week, we took some 900 pics on the Lumix and got some on the Kodak too b4 the death. And since I tried to wean out the really horrible pics as they were shot I believe we got a fantastic number of usable shots. And since we left in the storm on Sat. I may see about entering that weather contest I saw. We'll have to see.

And I got to play with a DSLR on the trip too as I took some pics of our thread/table mates and we're talking about getting 1 of those for the next trip:rotfl2: Got a couple of years before the next at least though.

I will not though that Shutters prices on Cameras are competitive and If I'd had to I would have bought 1 to replace ours, but I did get a better deal on the i bought through BJs:thumbsup2

I have a great Canon PowerShot, 12 megapix, 5 times zoom. It is also one of those slim, compact, great to carry in a pocket type cameras. When it was brand new it was $199 and that was close to two years ago already. I believe its the ELPH line. I HIGHLY recommend it.

Also, this camera has traveled all over the country, been in all types of weather, and has been dropped on all types of surfaces. With the exception of a few dings and scrapes, it still takes beautiful pictures!

Which model Lumix did you end get?
Can you post some photos?

Got the FH25.

Beautiful little camera, very easy to figure out by playing with the buttons:thumbsup2

Am working on posting photos. Just finished with all the installation and uploading of photos to the hard drive. And then DH insisted on viewing every single pic:rotfl2: That takes awhile.

Next step is to back em up to photobucket and at least 1 other storage site(usually winkflash) and then post some here.

What I'll likely do is choose some random shots for photobucket and then post em while I work on the back up sites. Will try and get some done later tonight.

Been a wild and crazy couple of weeks after the trip, but I finally have a bunch uploaded to Photobucket(since the DIS does not seem to like it when i try and share from winkflash:confused3)

Here are a few of my favorites:

747 heading for Maho beach

P1000194.jpg

P1000195.jpg

Harbor Pilot as set sail on 10/8 from Port Canaveral. Very nasty weather and seas:scared1:

P1000032.jpg

P1000030.jpg

And yes, I forgot about the sports setting when the 747 was approaching, but i still love the shot. I was standing right under the wing as it approached. :woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter