• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Golf Help

robtra91

Disney Dad
My family and I will be at Disney in late October. On the 28th, they are going to MNSSHP and I am going golfing! I need to decide this week which Disney Golf Course I am going to play and the Magnolia, Palm, and Opsrey Ridge all look incredible! I wouldn't even mind seeing an alligator or two during the round...

I am a decent (mid-upper 80's for 18 holes) golfer and do not mind the challenge of a good course - I am good enough that I will not slow down anyone's play and I do not let a tough round of golf get to me. I plan to take a lesson at the course I end up choosing prior to playing, and I will be bringing my own equipment.

The question I would like to ask is: If you were only going to play one course, which Disney course would it be and why? I will be playing twighlight rates and my decison will not be based on cost.

Also, will any of the courses be shut down with a pro event coming to Disney the following week?

Please help!!

DH is a golfer with about the same handicap as you, he has played all of the 18 hole courses, except Buena Vista. He plays at least 2 to 3 rounds each trip. His favorite course to play was Eagle Pines, sadly it is no more. Here is his ranking of the Disney Courses.

1. Eagle Pines (sniff sniff :( )
2. Magnolia
3. Palm
4. Osprey Ridge

For our Dec trip he is playing 2 rounds at Magnolia. I wouldn't want to play golf near a gator, I am way too fond of my hands and feet. Gators can run faster than you can. I am from the bayous of South LA, so trust me on this one.

In July we are considering stay at the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress for a few days so he can play the courses there.

I've always preferred Magnolia and Palm to Osprey Ridge, but I'm an old schooler who likes the classics and those two are classic Florida flatlands courses of the 70s school of design.

As for the course availability ahead of the Tour event ... you'd have to call the Disnet golf folks for guidance. I'm certain they keep the courses available to their guests, but might run a restricted schedule ... and it might depend on the weather as well. Better to call.

You may have your heart set on playing a Disney course, and if so, that's fine.

But I find that the Disney courses are just typical flat Florida courses with no interesting topography to them.

If I were in your cleats, I'd probably play one of the courses at Orange County National, both of which have nice elevation changes. This is a superb facility for both play and practice.

Just a few minutes from the world.

Have a look - this is a very highly rated facility.

http://www.ocngolf.com/sites/courses/layout9.asp?id=322&page=23478

I agree with Otter. Disney's courses are nice, but with the exception of Osprey Ridge, there is not a lot that I find special about them. My suggestion would be Osprey over Mag and Palm, plus I believe the Mag and Palm will be closed by then for the tourney anyways.

Bear in mind the remaining Disney courses will be packed because everyone will be on those two, not to mention that with a PGA event in town there are tons of sponors, family, etc that will be playing while there. My dad used to play in the ProAm of the tourney, and we got free golf all week, so you can imagine how crowded the courses will be with that perk. If you are lucky enough to get a tee time at Osprey, then go for it. Being a Fazio design, it is definitely a challenge. Otherwise Orange County National is a great suggestion for off property. Great layouts, and the coures are adjacent to Disney property. If you look at google earth, they are the ones on the west side of property next to the 429.

I will be there in Sept and have chosen Osprey Ridge. I have played Magnolia years ago.

So far, alot of really good advice. If the Magnolia and Palm are closed with the tourney the following week, I may be looking at the Orange County info alot closer.

Keep on sending more info - THANKS!

I'd play the Magnolia! Love the classics, and this one has the signature Mickey sandtrap on the Par 3 (I think it's on number 6) . Plus, I played my best golf on that course of all of them.

Everyone here is missing what I consider a hidden gem! My favorite is the Buena Vista. It isn't that difficult but I think it has a mix of easy and challenging holes. Plus it winds through Old Key West resort on the frong nine which I stay at and it looks great surrounding the course without getting too close to the course at all. It then goes around Saratoga Springs and the Treehouse Villas on the back nine. If you haven't been there before I highly recommend at least one round there.

Thanks everybody for all of your insight. I think I am going to try the Magnolia, if I can play it that close to the tournament the following week. If not, I will try the Palm (may have the same problem), or Osprey Ridge. They all sound great, so it was a very difficult choice.

I guess that means I can't go wrong!

Thanks again!

I guess I could have saved everyone alot of trouble - the only course available for the date I wanted was the Lake Buena Vista course. The Palm was available for earlier dates, but I am happy and excited to play LBV!!!

You will enjoy it! Its not the most difficult course on property, but it was completely refurbished last year and I love how it winds through the resorts. Enjoy:thumbsup2

My wife surprised me last night by telling me that she also made a reservation for me 2 days earlier at the Magnolia. I was feeling good about playing one course - now I am stoked to play two!

My wife surprised me last night by telling me that she also made a reservation for me 2 days earlier at the Magnolia. I was feeling good about playing one course - now I am stoked to play two!

Thats awesome. I'm sharing this story with my fiance, in hopes that the same thing happens to me sometime:lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter