golf anyone anywhere?

vwlfan

DIS Veteran
Son in law and I with wife and daughter are staying in studios at VWL last week in August. I am an obsessed but also very poor beginning golfer. SIL is pretty fair. We have decided to do 18 EARLY one day during our stay, mindful of the hot FLa. august days.

Can anyone recommend one of the 18 hole courses that we can play that won't have me throwing clubs any more than usual?

dvc members can join the courses for $85 and greens fees will be between $35-$50 a person but you cant play until 10am......if you play earlier you will pay $100 a person per round....
play Eagle Pines...it is the easiest of the 5 courses in my opinion...it is short and wide open....Osprey Ridge is the best and most challenging....

Do you want a really nice course or not as nice? The best ones for morning rounds will cost $$$$$. I like the Palm & the Magnolia courses, both are fairly open and playable. :banana:

he has played the dis courses ( I drag him off the course to go to the parks) He said play osprey ridge. But he recommended do not keep score or play best ball. This is an amazing and beautiful course according to my dh. He also is saying playing other than peak hours may keep your play less anxious. :mickeybar

The DVC golf membership is $50 and 3 otheres can play with you After 10am you can play any course for a reduced fee. Since you are there in August it will be $35 plus tax. In the past there have even been better golf rates late afternoon without having the golf membership. Cheaper rates start after 3pm with the cheapest rates after 5pm. DH and sons are all golfers so they play frequently when we are at WDW. They mostly do the after 3pm rates.

If you really want to have a good time and aren't a good golfer, absolutely don't keep score. I have always played later to get the best rates, and be prepared to get paired up with someone else. Sometimes for beginners, that can be intimidating. Padisneyfan has the prices right. Be prepared to tip the bag handlers as well.

DH has played Eagle Pines and had a great time. He also agrees with the others who have said to play in the off-peak hours.

disneyjunky--- what part of pa are you from?

I have to share a cute golf story since you mention about being paired with others. When my sons were 15 and 16 they golfed with an older man and his son. DH and I were waiting at the clubhouse to pick them up. The man and his son asked if we are the parents of the two boys. Not knowing what to expect would come next they commented how they so enjoyed golfing with them. Which was nice to hear as a parent. They commented how my younger son even got a birdie on the course and then laughed. Apparently on his drive he hit a bird mid flight and killed it. He stated that they will always remember having golfed with my sons at WDW because of it.

We are heading down to OKW mid May so I'm sure DH and sons will be spending alot of time of the courses. As for me I like sitting on the balcony and watching.

Nancy

Thanks to all for your advice. DId not even consider the after 3pm.. thinking that i wanted to get to a park later on...

much to mull

Two additional suggestions I would make are since you are a new golfer:

First, don't feel like you have to play the entire 18 holes -- especially in Orlando in the summer. Figure you are going to pay $X to have fun, and when it stops being fun, you've gotten your money's worth. If you are not used to Florida weather in the summer, you may well wilt before you finish.

Second, be very considerate of players behind your group. Let faster players play through. If you don't, courteous golfers will call the pro shop and have the marshals come talk to you -- discourteous golfers will hit into you, which is both dangerous and stressful.

A few years ago, I took some relatives out for a round on Doral's Blue Monster. My uncle and one of my cousins are the worst golfers I've ever seen, so whenever we saw people waiting behind us, we let them play through. We let a LOT of people go through, but that made the round more enjoyable for them and for us.

It took us six hours to play 18 holes, and we were only able to accomplish that because my uncle and cousin didn't play 14-17. You have to play 18 on the Blue Course, so they did and it was ugly, but we still had a great day without spoiling anyone else's round.

A cheaper option to the 18 holes course is to play Oak Trail course which is a 9 hole walking course based out of the Palm/Magnolia pro shop. It is set up as a "family course" and is probably a little more "user friendly" than some of the championship courses, it's still a decent enough little course and you can be finished golf and into the parks by midday :D. If you have "permission" to do 18 holes, no one said you have to do them all on one day ;) you might be able to get two (or more) golf days if you just play 9 at a time :D

I usually use the "stableford" method of scoring so one ( or more) BAD holes don't mess up the score card too much. For those of you newer golfers not aware of how it works you award yourself points per hole depending on how well you do for that hole. Your handicap (or your guess of what your handicap should be) tells you how many shots would be your individual "par" for that hole. For example a 9 handicap golfer gets an extra shot on holes 1-9 an 18 handicap golfer gets an extra shot on each hole on the course, a 22 handicap gets 2 shots on holes 1-4 and one shot on the rest. I'll use the example of an 18 handicap cos it's easier. The points awarded are 0 points if you are 2 shots or worse than your "par" for that hole, 1 point if your one shot worse, 2 points if you get your "par" , 3 points if your one better than par, 4 points if you're 2 better than par and 5 points if your 3 better than your par ( if you get too many 5 point scores you're a bandit LOL :rotfl2: Lets say holes 1,2,3,4 and 5 are all par 4s and the golfer (18 handicap so gets one shot per hole) scores them as a 5 , a 6, a 10, a 4 and a 3.
for hole 1 ( 5 shots) he gets 2 points , hole 2 (6 shots) he gets one point, hole 3 (disaster) gets 0 points (but doesn't wreck your card) hole 4 (regular par so a "birdie" for him 3 points) and hole 5 he would get 4 points. Over the 5 holes he has earned 10 points ( which is playing to his handicap) but the disaster hole doesn't wreck the score card. Over 18 holes, if you're playing close to your handicap you should generally score between 30-35 points ( if you hit 36 and above too often it probably means you're better than your handicap). By keeping a note of your stableford scores gives you a much better idea, IMHO, how you're golf is improving because the system irons out when one or two holes take a heavy toll on your round. For beginers it also allows you to move on from the 10+ shots on one hole and concentrate on the positives like how you chipped in from 50 yards for a birdie ( and 4 points). It makes golf a much more uplifting experience when you're learning the game.

I have played Eagle Pines, Magnolia, Palm and LBV and I think that Magnolia is a very wide open course and would suit your requirements. ::MickeyMo

If you have your own transportation, I would recommend going offsite. I went to a great 36 hole course called Orange County National. The have two great courses, Panther Lake and Crooked Cat. I played Panther only. It was a short drive on 192 west (I think is was west) and took less than 30 min. The have all the bells and whistles. A HUGE driving range, great practice facilities, GPS for both courses, a lunch voucher that you can use on the course from the beverage cart. You can get a nice sandwich, chips or candy and a can of soda. I think you also get some kind of pro shop discount.

The course layout was fantastic and the conditions were superb! Go to the website which is:

http://www.ocngolf.com/page/1-1.htm

Just cut and paste this if you can't click on it.

The site posts that a round for the time period you will be there is only $60 Mon-Thurs. It's a little higher on weekends.

You will not be disappointed playing this course, trust me!

Enjoy!

Jon

Playing at one of the WDW courses is very enjoyable and they have very well mantained courses.All the course related Cast members are knowledgeable and friendly. I have played both in April and August. August was HOT. we had a earlt tee time and still melted. If you are like me and get my moneys worth August can really melt you down. Foursomes both in front of us and behind us had players not finish and ended up just riding out the 18 and drinking beer, they just got to hot.

The DVC golf membership is $50 and 3 otheres can play with you After 10am you can play any course for a reduced fee. Since you are there in August it will be $35 plus tax. In the past there have even been better golf rates late afternoon without having the golf membership. Cheaper rates start after 3pm with the cheapest rates after 5pm. DH and sons are all golfers so they play frequently when we are at WDW. They mostly do the after 3pm rates.
____

when did the membership price go down...i have purscheased it a few times and it was $75 and than went up to $85....______________

ok...I prefer the lake buena vista course...especially for a duffer like myself....you can play the gold tees, which reduce the distance a great deal, and the price cant beat.....word to the wise however....skip the DVC golf memebrship if you plan on playing in the summer. Pay the extra cost to get out at 7am....it is not just hot it is DAMN HOT :firefight !!!!

Celebration Golf Club is my recommendation. Not a far drive at all, and they have a super DVC discount any time of day unlike the resort courses where you only get the discount after 10 am. Course is in great shape and has many tees for all levels of players.

Great call RJ!!!!!....I forgot about that one. Celebration is fantastic, and the price is right in the summer time.....still, get out early and finish early!!

golfnut1264 said:
____

when did the membership price go down...i have purscheased it a few times and it was $75 and than went up to $85....______________

Spring Vacation Magic 2005 has the prices listed. Also on official WDW website.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter