Golden Oak

the entrance way is stunning, but is there a market for these homes there? Is this the new Isleworth?

I live in a place where the fourseasons did not have a golf course. They put time shares, one and two bedrooms on the top floors. Started at 1.5M They also they built a wing of 3 bedroom "condos" started at 3.5M. They sold really fast, before construction was done. Granted the average house price was 1M in the county at the same time. So you weren't paying a lot more to get valet service and a resturaunt a little ways away.

I thought for sure there would a discussion started here already on this:
http://disneygoldenoak.disney.go.com/

IMO, doesn't fit with what WDW is all about.
There's an article in the Orlando Sentinel today about Golden Oak. Home prices range from 1.5 to 8 million!

http://thedailydisney.com/blog/2010/06/disney-begins-pre-sales-for-luxury-residential-development/
crazy4wdw: Since Disney is only selling the "homesites" (lots) I read that as the lots costing $1.5 to $8 million. Imagine having to pay a custom home builder on top of that!

The say "homes" as well in the article, so it sounds like homes, not just land. And they describe the three styles of homes on the official site.

What I am wondering is that when the Four Seasons was announced, there was also "fractional ownership homes", nothing that I recall about actual full ownership, and it was all in the context of Four Seasons. Did something radically change with the development that Disney chose to complete the project themselves, and sell the homes directly?

They do say it is administered under Orange County, so they have definitely de-annexed the land.

I can only imagine what the association fees will be to support concierge services, etc.

crazy4wdw: Since Disney is only selling the "homesites" (lots) I read that as the lots costing $1.5 to $8 million. Imagine having to pay a custom home builder on top of that!

On the Disney site it says homesites for custom homes without a price. It also seems to say the custom homes will be of particular style. I imagine you pick the number of bedrooms and from a list for trims and finishings.

On the DailyDisney site it has the price for homes.

the entrance way is stunning, but is there a market for these homes there? Is this the new Isleworth?

Of course there is a market for these homes. Even with the economy in the state it's in, there are still plenty of executives, lawyers, doctors, and CEOs with endless amounts of $$$$$. Those are the ones that will buy there.

I'm sure there is a market out there. But I am disappointed at this decision by Disney...perhaps I'd say, appalled, at what seems to be blatantly catering to an elite group of the rich and famous. I do recognize that Disney like most everyone is in business for the money, and rich people have families too, but I just think it's the wrong direction and the wrong message for Disney. Sure they have more money to throw around than the rest of us 'just plain folks' but do we need to point it out? Isn't it obvious? Maybe the Grand Floridian and the other deluxe resorts aren't enough for them so they need their own high class digs? "...elite...services and privileges", "fortunate few," come on now. I thought Disney was a place where we could all be kids and strip off those "trappings" that make us so different from the next person. What kind of privileges in the parks would be extended to the owners there? If the rich and famous want a house in the Disney area they can build it themselves without any help from Mickey! To put Disney's stamp on it seems to me to be just wrong. (My apologies, I don't mean to offend and I'm not usually this outspoken, but reading about this just was a shock and I guess they've got me wound up! I'll probably regret this in the morning.) ;)

I'm sure there is a market out there. But I am disappointed at this decision by Disney...perhaps I'd say, appalled, at what seems to be blatantly catering to an elite group of the rich and famous. I do recognize that Disney like most everyone is in business for the money, and rich people have families too, but I just think it's the wrong direction and the wrong message for Disney. Sure they have more money to throw around than the rest of us 'just plain folks' but do we need to point it out? Isn't it obvious? Maybe the Grand Floridian and the other deluxe resorts aren't enough for them so they need their own high class digs? "...elite...services and privileges", "fortunate few," come on now. I thought Disney was a place where we could all be kids and strip off those "trappings" that make us so different from the next person. What kind of privileges in the parks would be extended to the owners there? If the rich and famous want a house in the Disney area they can build it themselves without any help from Mickey! To put Disney's stamp on it seems to me to be just wrong. (My apologies, I don't mean to offend and I'm not usually this outspoken, but reading about this just was a shock and I guess they've got me wound up! I'll probably regret this in the morning.) ;)

I don't think your points are wrong and from what I have seen well deserved of by the 4seasons.

In my area they built one. The businesses near it suffered. They lost staff because they didn't want to put up with 4 season guests coming into their store and demanding all sorts of off the wall things. One way to say this is the guests simply don't know where the 4season property ends. Charge it to my room, and isn't this included for us, comes up way too often. I really feel bad for CM's who will soon be treated like this.

The worst offender I can remember is one of the 4season owners, Prince Al Weleed of Suadi Arabia. I doubt he ever knew, but he isn't in touch with reality. He is of course the second largest owner of DLP and this is probably why he can affect WDW so much.

Not meaning to be disagreeable, just disagree. I don't think Golden Oaks has anything to do with Disney's purpose or image (actually, as with any business, their only responsibility is to make as much money as possible for their shareholders; legally, of course).

There are many folks who cannot afford & will never be able to afford to go to Disney parks. But that doesn't mean Disney parks should not exist for those of us who can afford to go, or that those people who cannot afford to go should feel it is not the Disney iimage for us to be able to pay the high Disney prices. Some of us stay in value resorts, some off-site, some in luxury resorts. Some of us eat fast food, some eat steaks & lobster. Some can afford to buy $8 mil houses from Disney, some can't.

Just my point of view.

Julie

I'm a little both directions on this:

on one hand...Disney destinations are not cheap - nor were ever designed to be...and the idea that they should be "for everyone" is a sunny-side up myth that has NEVER been the purpose of the construction. they HAD to make money at Disneyland, all other locations were built to generate money. Simple. The Walt Disney Company has never said "We'll get every person to a park somehow..." or anything remotely in that ballpark.

but...big but...i hope this thing fails miserably. It's bad taste - it's reflective of how badly the class system has gotten. and frankly, a reflection of just how la-la the money people are still after a near catastrophic collapse just two years ago (that they caused...in no uncertain terms...the greedys are taking the simpler people with them into the abyss). it's ludicrous.

building star island in orlando for those of extreme excess is just a little to obviously capitalist for a company that is - still - in the end built on children's imaginations. it would not, nor cannot, exist without the legacy. and this kinda move is just bad form.

The only upside is that it makes building timeshares into oblivion look a little less ridiculous...a little

Put me firmly in the category of "do not approve". I think this is a bad move on Disney's part. I agree with Mom B and Lockedoutlogic. I never pull this card, but I will in this case - this is not what Walt would want. I don't think it fits with Disney's vision and I don't like that it clearly represents that line between the haves and have-nots. It's just such a gross way of flaunting your money and it really is in bad taste in my mind given where the economy has been and where it (unfortunately) is not going for the average joe.

I understand that Disney said their more "affluent" customers were looking for an outlet and more options on Disney's property. Fine, if that's the case, build an ultra-deluxe hotel that is fully comprised of suites and services you'd expect at an ultra-exclusive resort. I just think that building homes on Disney property is just plain wrong...

Something this tells me this will sell, be profitable for them and be a wise "business" decision. I just pray it doesn't catch on. I'm sure at one point or another, we'll all run across one of these privileged few on property and be scoffed down upon...

Put me firmly in the category of "do not approve". I think this is a bad move on Disney's part. I agree with Mom B and Lockedoutlogic. I never pull this card, but I will in this case - this is not what Walt would want. I don't think it fits with Disney's vision and I don't like that it clearly represents that line between the haves and have-nots. It's just such a gross way of flaunting your money and it really is in bad taste in my mind given where the economy has been and where it (unfortunately) is not going for the average joe.

I understand that Disney said their more "affluent" customers were looking for an outlet and more options on Disney's property. Fine, if that's the case, build an ultra-deluxe hotel that is fully comprised of suites and services you'd expect at an ultra-exclusive resort. I just think that building homes on Disney property is just plain wrong...

Something this tells me this will sell, be profitable for them and be a wise "business" decision. I just pray it doesn't catch on. I'm sure at one point or another, we'll all run across one of these privileged few on property and be scoffed down upon...

To go alittle further...

I don't think this idea is to build pads for hedge fund crooks...i mean..."managers" or lottery winners...

I think it is for the rich and famous

and that brings a whole new issue up. Say there are hollywood A-listers, foreign princes, international heirs buying some of these mansions...do they really want that?

do they want Jay-Z throwing an all-weekender at J. Lo's Disney Villa?

It sounds like i'm exaggerating...but think about it for a second. Is this where the road is turning to?

I have looked on the map and compared it to where it should be, but it looks like it's in the same area as Fort Wilderness. Are they taking part of FW out to put these homes in?

I hear there are only about 30 lots total and that area is big, so could be possible for them to remove some of fort wilderness to put this homes in.

but if someone could give me some coordinates, i would like to see where they are putting these homes.

BTW, I can understand why ppl are against this, but if I had the money, this is something I would buy. Though i would have to be at a point where money was no object, and i could visit the parks everyday! :)

Hmmm...my first thought was that I wanted to live there in my retirement (approx. 30+ years)! I wonder how much they'll be by then or if they've even managed to build all 450! :rotfl:

Image has nothing to do with it.

Disney is doing this because they have the land......and want the $$$$.

It's that simple.

Image has nothing to do with it.

Disney is doing this because they have the land......and want the $$$$.

It's that simple.

Got to pay for that Fantasyland expansion somehow... :confused3:teacher:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter