Gold AP - blackout 1st day?

LauraLap

DIS Veteran
We were planning on upgrading our 7-day tickets to the "regular" AP and our first day in the parks, which was going to be Jan 1, 2016. With the new tiered system of AP announced, Jan 1st is now considered a blackout day for the Gold pass. I really don't want to pay 100 dollars each (there are 4 of us!!) to upgrade just for one day in the parks.

Does anyone know if we go in with our 7-day pass when we arrive, then upgrade to the Gold AP as we leave, will we be charged for the blackout day?

Since this is new there's no real way to know for sure. I'd try it and if they try to charge you, I'd just wait until the next day (or even a couple of days later) to do the upgrade.

I would imagine that this will be treated as if you were upgrading a 7 Day MWY ticket that included Water Parks and More to an Annual Pass. For those, you could upgrade to a Standard Annual Pass if you hadn't used any of the WP&M entitlements. If you had, you needed to upgrade to the Premium Annual Pass. In this case, because you used the ticket on a Gold Pass blackout day, you probably cannot upgrade that ticket to Gold, you would have to pay the additional $100 per ticket.

I can't guarantee it'll work this way going forward, but in the PAST I have upgraded a multi-day FL res ticket that was used on a weekend to a Weekday AP, which has all weekends blocked out. There was no issue or extra charges

Thanks....... it may be okay then. I really hope this works out or else it will be extremely frustrating!

The value of your 7-day ticket will be applied towards any AP. You can upgrade after you have entered the park on the first day or just wait until your 2nd park day to do the upgrade. That way there won't be any concerns with entering and re-entering the parks on the first day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter