Going with another family, stay together or no?

Momma2PrinceNPrinces

DIS Veteran
Yes I know most of you will probably tell me this is personal preference! I have quotes for 6 bedroom homes in WH, but not sure where else to look for these size homes near the parks? Also, anyone not stay with their traveling companions? I also have quotes for 2 bedroom condos at SVR and WBC, but what is the probability we'd even be next door to each other? Ugh decisions, decisions! And as you can tell from my 100 posts the last few days I am an indecisive person :headache:

I also have quotes for 2 bedroom condos at SVR and WBC, but what is the probability we'd even be next door to each other?

I can't speak for WBC, but I have stayed at SVR. Its possible that you might be very close to the friend's unit (and you could request that in advance via Diamond Lane check-in) but its not guaranteed. And the resort is VERY big....so you could, potentially, be outside of a comfortable walking distance from each other too.

Me personally, I wouldn't want to stay in the same house with friends (or worse... extended familiy :eek: ). I need that "personal space" ... somewhere to escape to when I need some alone time, especially when its time to call it a night. But I'm weird like that. I'm sure others would love it!

We've had guests stay with us (non relative and relative) during a long vacation period where we rented a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath condo for 6 weeks and people came and went with the longest stay being 7 days. All these people were those whose company I enjoy and have similar lifestyles. At DW, we've stayed in the same house (in WH) with our DD, DSil and DGKs. Again, it worked fine.

I think what makes this sharing of space enjoyable is not expecting to spend each and every minute with the others. People need their space. I think with a frank discussion of ground rules, it could be a lot of fun AND save all parties a ton of dough. We would have a planning session and draw up a tentative plan---what food you'll get, will you cook meals, what is everyone's "must-do's" as far as sightseeing and what times or days will everyone go off and do their own "thing". All good discussion topics.

Happy planning:goodvibes

So, I just talked to my friend and she wants us all to stay together. Where else should I be looking for big houses besides WH???

We went in November with another family. Each family has 2 kids, and all four kids were under 4 years old. We shared a four bedroom house in Windsor Palms. We liked staying in the house together because the adults could watch a movie or sit in the hot tub together once the kids were in bed.

Each day, we went to one of the parks together for rope drop, but then split up after the first couple hours. We generally got back together for dinner, either at the house or for a table service ADR. It worked well for us, but we have been friends for a long time (met in high school and we are now in our mid-30s) and have travelled to WDW together before.

I would look at Emerald Island as well. Very close to Windsor Hills, well maintaned. Community pool not as elaborate, but we rented a 4bd/3ba house with private pool so it didn't matter to us. We rented through homeaway & were happy with it.

I would not stay together at all. We is debating the same thing this summer. One my son friends wants go Orlando this summer with us. But we already a family of five and have no room in the car for him. So the parents have drive him down.

We are looking at hotels and condos right now to save money. I am all for separate rooms because we already will fight over TVs as it is.

So, I just talked to my friend and she wants us all to stay together. Where else should I be looking for big houses besides WH???

Formosa Gardens has large villas and is very nice. It's very close to the parks as well. The resort amenities at WH are far nicer however.

We stayed at Windsor Palms - big houses with pools & hot tubs. There is a "back road" that got us to AK in about 6 minutes. Great location and house.
We have traveled with both family and friends and I think as long as you have your own space (bedrooms), you will be fine. We have done both - shared a big house and gotten hotel rooms or 2 BR condos next to each other and it was always okay.
Happy planning!

We've stayed with other families (not related) when we traveled for baseball. We had a blast! Everyone was on their best behavior, and we were all a bit laid back, so it worked out fine for us. We didn't spend every minute together.
I do agree with the OP who mentioned a ground rules discussion, as your "styles" may not match, especially with the rules for the kids. You don't want yours saying "but so and so gets to eat candy for breakfast" or whatever the case may be.
As long as there's enough room for everyone, I say go for it.
Those are some of our best memories. :goodvibes

Yes I know most of you will probably tell me this is personal preference! I have quotes for 6 bedroom homes in WH, but not sure where else to look for these size homes near the parks? Also, anyone not stay with their traveling companions? I also have quotes for 2 bedroom condos at SVR and WBC, but what is the probability we'd even be next door to each other? Ugh decisions, decisions! And as you can tell from my 100 posts the last few days I am an indecisive person :headache:

Not enough info:

What is the relationship between you and them?
How much do you interact with them at home?
How many kids? Theirs? Yours? Ages?
Do they get along?
Do your parenting styles match?
How do you reconcile situations where they don't?
How long are you going for?
How many park days?
How many off days? Any plans for off days?
Transportation?
What does a typical park day look like for you? Them? Same? How do you reconcile differences?
Everybody comfortable sitting around in sweats with bed-head and no make-up?

DaytonDisney said most of it! You can have the best vacation of your life with the right companions, but your parenting and housekeeping styles must be compatible. And your overall lifestyle should be similar. You don't have to be clones but it really helps if you share or are very tolerant of certain behaviours, such as smoking and drinking. Staunch vegans or vegetarians may find it trying to share with a meat & potatoes crew.

Be as considerate as possible regarding privacy,household chores and shared facilities. Make sure both families have independent transportation. Fully understand that there are to be no expectations of constant togetherness.

We have shared homes with numerous combos of friends and family and the only underlying tension was on our first trip when we found ourselves with 3 minivans instead of 3 cars (same price!) We opted to drop down to 2, and congratulated ourselves on saving rental and parking fees. It wasn't a disaster by any means but it limited options for one family. There were compromises, but things would have been more enjoyable had we stuck to the 3 car plan!

DH & I are looking forward to our 12-day stay in Windsor Palms this Sept with DD, DSIL and our two DGSs...which is probably our 10th trip involving shared accommodations. We can't imagine going back to hotel or similar arrangements and absolutely LOVE having sufficient bedrooms and bathrooms with shared common areas in one unit.

Happy planning!

Personally, the last time I traveled with family, I vowed never to do it again. My parents and sibling were EXTREMELY picky about hotel rooms, and food. My husband and I were pretty much ignored when we made suggestions. My nephew screamed all night, every night, because he didn't like being in a new sleeping environment. My husband and I ended up sitting, doing nothing, every morning because people "weren't ready yet", only to find them watching TV. My advice? Meet at the parks at a specific time and place, and get your own room. Or better yet, go alone. But that's just me! :thumbsup2

If you go to www.vrbo.com you can search by the number of bedrooms. Windsor Hills, Windsor Palms, and Emerald Isle are probably the closest communities to Disney though and they should have large homes.
We travel with large groups all the time. Here are some keys I have found to having an enjoyable vacation:

1) Have enough en suite bedrooms for all the adult couples. It is nice for adults to have their own bathroom.
2) Have enough beds for everyone - no pull out couches for kids to sleep on in the common areas. It's good for the kids to have a bed in a bedroom where they can retreat and decompress.
3) TVs in each bedroom is helpful when there are lots of different television tastes.
4) Whatever food or drink we buy is for everyone and whatever they buy is fair game for us too. There is no ours or theirs.

This is a the home we have stayed in 4 times. It is further out, but it really fits my family's needs. http://www.vrbo.com/46990

We have traveled with friends many times and always found it a lot more fun and affordable to stay in a house together. Some of the best times we have had are coming back to the house at the end of a day in the parks and just playing games or watching a movie all together in one big group. :)

We were at WDW at Easter and stayed in a beautiful 6 bedroom 4.5 bath house with a private pool at Acadia Estates. It is a lovely quiet neighborhood off of Formosa Gardens Blvd, just 3 miles from Disney. You can be at Animal Kingdom in about 7 minutes.

The kids loved the games room (which was air conditioned) and the themed bedrooms.

Here is a link to the house we stayed at if you want to check it out: http://www.vrbo.com/571182

Cannot speak as staying together as never have done that part before.

But 3 years ago when we did DL for 3 days my brother and his 2 boys joined my family so we went from 5 to 8 people. 2 dads, 1 mom, 2 girls and 3 boys. My older daughter and brothers oldest son are relatively close in age and his younger one is close in age to my twins so it works.

It was a great time as my boy would head off with my brother and his boys and do boy stuff while the rest of us did girl stuff like princesses.

Mid day we would head back to the hotel and take over a room for lunch and the pool.

What worked for us is my brother and I think alike. Its a vacation and pretty much rules go out the window. Only rules are basic manners. If the kids wanted ice cream at 10pm both of us were okay with it. If they wanted donuts for breakfast everyday that's fine also. We let kids pick the rides in the area and they took turns doing it.

Guess in a nut shell we mesh and if you and the other party mesh you will have a great time. If not then I'd suggest not doing it.

And like said some basic ground rules may help.

For the last 2 years we have had people come on holiday with us to Bonnet Creek. Last year my brothers family and the year before my best friends family. We have rented two, 2 bedrooms at WBC and its been perfect. Not a single cross word. Even if it was cheaper I would never share, too easy to fall out over silly little things. I'd also never stay n a villa but that's only because I would feel isolated. I can imagine if you were the kind of family that were super close then a villa could be a really good economical solution.

We are back in a couple of months but on our own so that will be strange but cant wait.

We have done the big family vacation at Orange Beach. It started out with those wanting to save money talking about one big house for everyone. They wanted to put kids in sleeping bags on the floor, and have each family take a meal shift. We were the first couple to say, "no," but were happy to stay nearby. My husbands brother and wife were thrilled we weren't interested, because neither were they. We had three of the four youngest children and needed them to have their own place to nap, and none of us were interested in preparing a meal for an entire household.

We wound up finding a mid size condo, where each family could book their own space, based on their budget. If someone needed to save money, they faced the parking lot, and if another family wanted a corner ocean view, they got that. It worked great! We could meet up at the pool, the beach or at each other's condo, but also had our own space.

We are about to so this - myself, DH and DD (9) will be sharing a two bedroom condo at WBC with my sister, my brother-in-law and nephew (14 months). When we decided to do the group vacation we immediately agreed each family would have their own vehicle and at the parks or any where else we are not obligated to stick together. We have booked our fp + together and are making a list of rides we all want to do that my nephew can't go on so my sister and brother-in-law don't have to each ride alone when baby swapping (and dd will be able to ride twice, once with them and the again with me). Our financial situations are very different as DH is disabled. They both work and make good money. While I do work, my pay is about half of one of theirs so I plan to save money by eating in the room some. I also plan to head back to the room for afternoon breaks while they have no intention of going back to the room for lunch and a break or aside from breakfast and snacks, eating in the room at all. We have booked a couple of ADR's together for character meals but other than that we agreed to be on our own. I am a little nervous because my sister and I do have a tendency to start arguing when we spend to much time together but I think as long as we respect the others choices, it will be okay. This is sort of a need a break from real life trip for all of us. Our mom lost her battle with melanoma right after Thanksgiving and then our paternal grandma (last of our grandparents) passed right before Christmas. Grandma is buried next to Grandpa at the national cemetery in Bushnell so we were going down to pay our respects and decided to give the kids a treat since we are going to be down there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter