• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Going west for the first time!!

DaisyLynn

DIS Veteran
So, we have finally come up with a plan for our spring 2008 vacation...I think.

It took some compromising, since I, of course, wanted to go to Disneyland and he wanted to go to the Grand Canyon. Well, I was going to give in completely, but decided that 7 days in the GC would be a bit much. He is definitely outdoorsy, though. He could find trails to hike and all that stuff, but me...not so much. I'd like to see it, but beyond that I'm really not interested. He has no desire to go to Disneyland, from what I am getting from it anyway. But we'd both like to visit Vegas. He has been, but I have not. He went years ago, though. So please, check out what I've got here and see if there is anything you might change. Just as an FYI, at time of travel...me, female and 28, him, male and 36. We're not married and have no children at this time. But...who knows what we'd do in Vegas!!!

Day 1, Tuesday: Fly to Phoenix, stay overnight at Holiday Inn Express
Day 2, Wednesday: drive in rented convertible to Grand Canyon, overnight at The Grand Hotel
Day 3, Thursday: full day at Grand Canyon, overnight at The Grand Hotel
Day 4, Friday: drive to Vegas, overnight at New York, New York
Day 5, Saturday: full day in Vegas, overnight at New York, New York
Day 6, Sunday: drive to Disneyland, overnight at Paradise Pier
Day 7, Monday: full day Disneyland, overnight Paradise Pier
Day 8, Tuesday: full day California Adventure, overnight Paradise Pier
Day 9, Wednesday: fly out of Long Beach, back home

This looks like so much fun, but sooo tiring to me! Does it look like too much? I think that the driving days will be kind of nice though. We can go at our own pace. Sleep in a bit, scenic drives. As I said, though..I've never been out west and I'm the planner of the two of us. He has been, but will leave the planning up to me. I like it that way! I'm just a bit lost, so any direction or insight would be much appreciated! :)

You'll gain 3 hours flying west, so if you can arrive at noon or so, I'd head to the Grand Canyon that first night, maybe stopping in Sedona for lunch? Make that first day count in other words. This would give you an extra day in Las Vegas so that you could take a day trip out to Lake Mead, or out to Red Rock Canyon, and have one more night of fun. Or just a relaxing day poolside before the rush-craziness that is Disneyland.

Its a shame youre not spending a couple of days in phoenix, its a really nice area, as is Sedona when youre on route to the grand canyon.
Personally Id free up a couple of days for these places, and limit time in Vegas, theres abit of building work on the strip, and it really is getting tacky looking and going downhill since I last went. We stayed in the bellagio this time, and i wasn impressed, dont think i'll be going back to Vegas.
There are such niocer places in phoenix, tuscon, sedona, and if youre other half loves hiking etc, sedona is the place.
If you want somewhere to stay check out
The Penrose.

Jules

Try to make some time for Sedona! It's on the way from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon. We just got back last month, and I think it was one of the most beautiful places on earth. You can around the curve into the town, and it takes your breath away. There is a lot do there - Indian ruins, jeep tours, rock water slides and just looking at the gorgeous views. I loved the Grand Canyon, but I thought Sedona was even more glorious. And even in the high summer months we were never hot. There is hardly any humidity and we were hiking at noon!

I don't know if you are tied to the days of the week on your trip or not, but if you aren't you may want to consider doing Vegas during the week instead of the weekend. Hotels are 2 or 3 times more expensive and there are A LOT more people from Fri - Sun. Lots of Southern Californians come up to spend the weekend .

If you do drive to DL on Sunday LEAVE EARLY. Traffic is a nightmare getting out of Vegas to S. Cal. anytime after noon. It will take a 4 hour trip and turn it into 8 hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter