Going to WDW with parents. . . at 30. Is this insane?

Nightenbelle

Earning My Ears
I'm single. There- I said it, thats out of the way.

I date, occasionally. I'm just picky I guess. Comes with being a die hard Belle fan I guess. I want a guy who understands that I want so much more than he has planned. . . and a guy who'll give me a library (or at least not laugh at the one I already have!)

So I've cried, I've beat the biological clock into submission by giving it a furbaby (My poodle is my child) and now- I'm going to Disneyland.... errr Disneyworld.

I've never been. I've always wanted to. Part of me always just thought it would be a bigger better version of the DL I know and love- but now i've accepted that there is just more to it.

So- I'm wondering- should I take off by myself to explore- or stick with Mom and Dad? For one thing, I'm sure I'll be stir crazy if I stay with them the whole time. I'm used to doing my own thing. Since we are driving from AR to FL- thats 2 full days in the car- just me and them and a toy poodle.

But will I end up just wishing I had someone around if i Take off by myself?

Why not a little from column A and a little from column B?

Find out what shows, rides, and restaurants they would like to check out and do those with them and if there are certain things that they wouldn't be into then go solo.

I am planning my first solo trip myself and am a tad bit nervous about it, but all the feedback I have been getting is that once you are there the nervous feeling goes away and is replaced by Disney magic :cool1:

:) DH and I do not have children and my MIL or my parents go with us almost every trip. They do not have to do everything with us. They get their own rooms and we meet up for ADRs becasue we tend to like the same thing. My Mother will be 70, Father 76 and MIL is now 70. There may come a time when I will no longer be able to travel with them.

I enjoy seeing the magic through their eyes and there is joy in providing them with a DVC studio of their own--so lodging is always free for them. I think they are all awesome and treasure our vacations together. DH and I live alone the other 350 days a year. So my cup is always half full.

WDW is absolutely huge. I think you will have so many interesting things to see that if they are with you it will be fun. However if they get tired and go back to the room, you can stay in Epcot and have a drink then slowly make your way back.

Are you staying on site? Were is your four legged child staying. Our four legged daughter (Jack Russell) stays home with her sitter when we travel. My parents have a standard poodle and he stays too when we go. They get along great and the Jack Russell just tells him what to do :rolleyes:

I say do a little of both.

I agree with PP's.... I say go with them but plan some things to do on your own!

I have gone many times now as an adult with my parents, I enjoy the time away from real life with them! While we do many things together, I never have hesitated to take in time for myself... Spa, keys to the kingdom tour, shopping at DTD, or even the parks!

My pup is probably staying at the Disney kennel. I don't have someone here who could watch her- my family is all going out of town at the same time except my cousins- and considering they believe dogs belong out doors and wouldn't even take their dog to the vet after it got hit by a car- I have no intention of leaving my baby with them.

At least if she comes with us, I can stop by and visit with her once or twice a day.

I will definitely do some things with them. I get along very well with my parents- amazing how that happens after you move out. I was kinda worried about heading off on my own for a bit, but after reading a bunch here- I'm not so worried. I'm thinking about taking one of the backstage tours alone. I'm a total nerd for the backstage stuff, and Mom and Dad feel like it spoils the magic. I have to be careful with my trivia around them, they really could care less what the "codes" are on rides or what the various CM hand signals are.

Any advice on which tour is the best for a behind the scenes nut? Have any of you ever used the Disney Dog accomidations?

Not insane at all ... I was in a very similar situation, and this is coming from a guy's point of view.

As some background, I grew up on WDW, with my parents taking my brother and I every other year. Heck, I spent college spring break '98 at DTD back when it was hopping (friends were Cast Members on the college program). After college and career life I went almost a decade of no more WDW, figuring I'd outgrew it. My parents still took thier RV down to Fort Wilderness and WDW almost yearly. They constantly said I should fly down and meet them, but I was never interested. Finally as a 30th B-Day gift, my parents paid for a trip down during Halloween and the F&W fest. I guess I didn't have a choice but to accept ... one of the best decisions I ever made. I had an incredible time at the F&W Fest, and hanging out with my parents as an adult was such a different dynamic than when I was drug around as kid.

I'm now 36, and still meet my parents down in WDW almost every year for the F&W Fest. I'll probably be down in late Oct with them again. I do spend plenty of time touring solo and doing my own thing, but many times still do meals and other activities with the parents. I figure they're not getting any younger, and it's great to still be making great memories with them while we have the time. There are probably a lot of folks out there who if given the chance, would have wished to spend more time with thier parents.

As for things to do ... little things like grabbing a Lapu Lapu at the Tambu lounge and catching Wishes on the Poly beach, checking out some of the resorts to plan out future trips ... from a solo point of view I really like strolling the World Showcase while grabbing a few drinks along the way (need a margarita from La Cava). Epcot and Animal Kingdom are great parks for solo touring. The Pagani and Maharaja trails in AK are excellent for solo animal watching.

Tourwise, I'd strongly recommend the Keys to the Kingdom tour. The Segway tours are also great. I think the Epcot Segway tour is gone, but they should still have the Fort Wilderness Segway tour. I've done both, and loved them. The Behind the Seeds tour at The Land Pavillion is also nice and afordable tour that usually doesn't require reservations.

I'm single. There- I said it, thats out of the way.

I date, occasionally. I'm just picky I guess. Comes with being a die hard Belle fan I guess. I want a guy who understands that I want so much more than he has planned. . . and a guy who'll give me a library (or at least not laugh at the one I already have!)

So I've cried, I've beat the biological clock into submission by giving it a furbaby (My poodle is my child) and now- I'm going to Disneyland.... errr Disneyworld.

I've never been. I've always wanted to. Part of me always just thought it would be a bigger better version of the DL I know and love- but now i've accepted that there is just more to it.

So- I'm wondering- should I take off by myself to explore- or stick with Mom and Dad? For one thing, I'm sure I'll be stir crazy if I stay with them the whole time. I'm used to doing my own thing. Since we are driving from AR to FL- thats 2 full days in the car- just me and them and a toy poodle.

But will I end up just wishing I had someone around if i Take off by myself?
You sound just like me! I'm 28, single, and physically disabled so I do travel with my parents. Belle is my favorite character as well (see my username) and we also have a toy poodle! I agree with everyone else on this. There is so much to do at WDW that I'm sure you will find things that interest you that your parents don't want to do. That will give you a chance to do things on your own and meet people. WDW is just the kind of place that it's hard not to have a good time no matter who you go with (unless you're with a real downer). I don't know if you like pin collecting but that's a great way to meet CMs and other guests. I got really into it the last time we went. It's such a fun (and sort of costly) hobby to get involved in. Hope this helps!

My Dad passed away when I was a teenager and I am an only child so my Mom and I are very close. My husband and I don't have kids and we always almost always go on vacations with my Mom. She loves to travel just like we do and we want to visit the same places. Most of her friends are either married or not interested. We always have a great time together. This December will be our 3rd Disney trip together.

up until 2009 anytime i went to florida and WDW i went with my parents from the age of 6 til my early 40's naturally when i was younger I stuck with them but in the 90's when we went I did alot by myself. since we were staying off property at times i would meet them usually over at TTC if at Mk or prearranged spots and times in the parks. When we started staying at POP i was on my own and if i wanted to meet them id let them know either via cell or if I ran into them in the parks.
we did stuff at a family or i would go on rides with my mom as my dad didnt do too many
now i go solo!! as my dad doenst like to fly anymore so they stay home

I'm 30, I'm single, and I go with my parents twice a year (we're DVC). A lot of times, we'll host extended family. My aunt and uncle from Iowa visited, and I played a lot of golf and went out to eat with them. We also bowled at Splitsville twice - once with just my parents, and a second time with my aunt and uncle included. When I'm with my parents, we will often go into Epcot since we're usually there during F&G or F&W festivals. Or, we'll go out to eat at DTD and get ice cream at Ghirardelli. Our favorite restaurant to visit together is probably Teppan Edo.

One of the two trips every year is usually a whole family reunion (all my brothers, their wives, and their kids). In those trips, I golf, spend some time with the kids (they love pool days so as not to use park admissions), and we enjoy each others' company that way.

However, the majority of my time when I'm just with my parents (or aunts and uncles) is spent trekking the parks solo. I find that it gives me a ton of flexibility. Some of my simplest solo Disney pleasures include taking laps on the TTA PeopleMover and just people-watching from above, walking around DAK on an early morning when the animals are all out, or trying something new and reporting back to the rest of my family so we know what the kids will like. (I will say that LeFou's Brew at Gaston's Tavern is addictive.)

Plus, it's easier to get on rides using Single Rider, and in some instances, when they need a single to fill a spot on a ride vehicle, you can get bumped up.

Hi ,,im Aziz from Morocco work in Epcot park
just saw ur post and im inetereted to meet and know new people from everywhere ^^

You sound just like me! I'm 28, single, and physically disabled so I do travel with my parents. Belle is my favorite character as well (see my username) and we also have a toy poodle! I agree with everyone else on this. There is so much to do at WDW that I'm sure you will find things that interest you that your parents don't want to do. That will give you a chance to do things on your own and meet people. WDW is just the kind of place that it's hard not to have a good time no matter who you go with (unless you're with a real downer). I don't know if you like pin collecting but that's a great way to meet CMs and other guests. I got really into it the last time we went. It's such a fun (and sort of costly) hobby to get involved in. Hope this helps!

I always thought pin collecting was kinda lame until I was forced to participate with a smile as a CM. I knew I was hooked when I found myself using a 15 minute break to run off stage, change, grab my purse, run on stage, buy a random pin at the store across from my ride, then rush to trade for really awesome shield pin that I realized was a CM exclusive from 4th of july the year before. I have no idea why anyone traded it for anything we ever had on the Jumpin Jellyfish lanyard (honestly had a little kid tried to trade it while I was there I would have subtly said something to the parent about the value of CM exclusives- but. . . I was not there when it was obtained- but I never saw us get anything really neat on the lanyard- not in a whole year- lots of cool if you like such and such pins- but none of the rare exclusive ones you are supposed to find occasionally on CM lanyards.) So- I do plan to bring my bag of pins. I still can't quite bring myself to wear a lanyard. Feels to much like work. Every job I've ever had required me to wear a lanyard of some kind- even now as a teacher I have to wear my ID around my neck in case some idiot decides to invade my lil hole in the wall rural school and doesn't have the good sense to steal a lanyard himself first or in case I forget what Codes we use for fire, tornado, and lockdown (F, T, and L btw- aren't we clever?)

:-)

Thank you all for the advice. I'm a lot less. . . whatever I was when I posted this. :-)

I always thought pin collecting was kinda lame until I was forced to participate with a smile as a CM. I knew I was hooked when I found myself using a 15 minute break to run off stage, change, grab my purse, run on stage, buy a random pin at the store across from my ride, then rush to trade for really awesome shield pin that I realized was a CM exclusive from 4th of july the year before. I have no idea why anyone traded it for anything we ever had on the Jumpin Jellyfish lanyard (honestly had a little kid tried to trade it while I was there I would have subtly said something to the parent about the value of CM exclusives- but. . . I was not there when it was obtained- but I never saw us get anything really neat on the lanyard- not in a whole year- lots of cool if you like such and such pins- but none of the rare exclusive ones you are supposed to find occasionally on CM lanyards.) So- I do plan to bring my bag of pins. I still can't quite bring myself to wear a lanyard. Feels to much like work. Every job I've ever had required me to wear a lanyard of some kind- even now as a teacher I have to wear my ID around my neck in case some idiot decides to invade my lil hole in the wall rural school and doesn't have the good sense to steal a lanyard himself first or in case I forget what Codes we use for fire, tornado, and lockdown (F, T, and L btw- aren't we clever?)

:-)

Thank you all for the advice. I'm a lot less. . . whatever I was when I posted this. :-)
Haha too funny. I only got into it on my last WDW trip because the husband of one of my nurses is a Disney freak and knew that we were going so he gave me a ziploc bag of old pins he didn't want anymore. Unfortunately that got me hooked on pin trading. I don't wear the lanyards either. They're too long on me and I don't like wearing anything around my neck in hot weather. However, on our last trip my dad wore the lanyard for me and got so into it, he started trading MY pins with CMs in exchange for pins that really weren't too cool. I had to keep a watchful eye over him to make sure he didn't give away pins that I liked! We just went on our first DCL this past summer and they had night of pin trading with the officers. That was pretty neat. So you were a CM at WDW??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter