Going to WDW with no plan or strategy!

I think there's a huge difference between someone who goes on a regular basis "winging it" and the same move by someone who hasn't been there before.

People who go regularly know where the lines will be. They don't need any sort of plan because they know the lay of the land. They know how to use fastpass, the value of rope drop, and lots of other ins and outs.

Newbies who attempt the same thing sometimes end up spending a good portion of their one and only WDW trip waiting hours at a time on lines.

A few years ago I waited at rope drop at the Magic Kingdom and chatted with the woman next to me. (MY husband and kids were at the back of the crowd; I was the fastpass runner.) She asked me where the shows were. "Shows???" I asked. "Yes, the shows and things my (13 year old) son will enjoy."

I asked him whether he liked roller coasters, and he said yes. I directed them to Big Thunder and Splash Mountains (Space Mountain was being rehabbed that year) along with Pirates of the Carribbean, Haunted Mansion, Monsters Inc and Buzz Lightyear. I hope it made a difference to them.

I think there's a huge difference between someone who goes on a regular basis "winging it" and the same move by someone who hasn't been there before.

People who go regularly know where the lines will be. They don't need any sort of plan because they know the lay of the land. They know how to use fastpass, the value of rope drop, and lots of other ins and outs.

Newbies who attempt the same thing sometimes end up spending a good portion of their one and only WDW trip waiting hours at a time on lines.

A few years ago I waited at rope drop at the Magic Kingdom and chatted with the woman next to me. (MY husband and kids were at the back of the crowd; I was the fastpass runner.) She asked me where the shows were. "Shows???" I asked. "Yes, the shows and things my (13 year old) son will enjoy."

I asked him whether he liked roller coasters, and he said yes. I directed them to Big Thunder and Splash Mountains (Space Mountain was being rehabbed that year) along with Pirates of the Carribbean, Haunted Mansion, Monsters Inc and Buzz Lightyear. I hope it made a difference to them.

Good point.

Dh and I are Florida residents (no kids) and have been going to WDW several times per year for 27 years. We don't plan or make dining ressies. We don't have to "do" everything because we know we can catch it next time.

I think you've gotten good insight from the pp's. If you've never gone before, at least figure out what parks you are going to, find out what your kids are especially excited about doing and make those a priority, and figure out how the fast pass system works and use it.

We are sort of going to wing it. I have planned out which park we are going to on each day based on crowd level and that's about it. DH has been many times to disney so he's familiar with the layout and what to ride first. I do have a feeling that we will focus on rides that the kids can go on first and then come back in the evening while my parents watch the kids and do the bigger rides.

I will make ADRs for a few meals, but otherwise we get a park hopper and just totally wing it!!!! The flexibility helps ~ if a park is too crowded we go somewhere else. In reading the boards it seems that sometimes people make a specific plan and then when things don't go as planned they get really upset.

We are winging our entire 8 day trip. When we get up in the morning is when we'll decide where we are going that day. I plan on walking in the park and head in 1 direction around the park and hit everything along the way until we are back at the beginning again. We changed our pkg from the regular dining plan to the quick service so we don't have to plan dinner reservations. I want to eat wherever we are. Absolutely no plans involved and I can't wait!

No Plan is a Plan in my book. Most of us that "Wing it" actually have a rough estimate of a plan in our heads; sort of a built in road map, if you will. After a decade of 1 to 3 trips a year, you know what has to be done to get maximum benefit. You have the flexibility to work between the "uber planners" and the "clueless masses" And if you want to sit on a park bench, you know you will be back. If Magic Kingdom is getting too full, you can head to AK after the morning crowds begin to clear out etc.

You know to eat lunch at 1030 or after 2 and that with the Disney Apps you can make an ADR for 2 hours from now somewhere in the parks and don't have to decide what you want to eat in 6 mos.

Well that's my plan, and it has never failed me. I also must say that as a solo traveler I do benefit by not getting tied up in the "I don't know, What do you want to do" trap.

When we (dh and 3 kids) went with my in-laws for everyone's first trip in 12-20 years, and the kids' first trip, my MIL was determined that they didn't want to study a guide book or have a plan, then spent the vacation complaining about everything we didn't get to do or see. So if you're not going to have a basic knowledge of how to manage your touring, just don't put a lot of expectations on yourselves. :-)

I think you can wing it pretty well if it's just adults and you know the parks well. I don't think it's ever wise to completely wing it with children or large groups. Two adults no stroller can get a lot done though winging it, especially with single rider lines.

We are DL veterans I guess (we've had passes for 4 years and go dozens of times a year), but we have only been to WDW once. We make ADRs and go from there. For our honeymoon, we never made rope drop (didn't even try - not even close!) and we had an amazing time. We do not like to plan out every detail of our vacation. And that was in June. We knew what rides we wanted to go on (we researched ahead of time). Since we are used to DL crowds, WDW was like a breath of fresh air (MUCH less crowded feeling!!) Even entering a park at 11:00am, we didn't feel like the lines were too bad.

This time around we will hit rope drop and morning EMH a few times, but not every day. We have ADRs and an idea of what we want to do the first couple of days, but we don't like to stick to a strict schedule. I like having the freedom to do what sounds fun that particular day. We have park hoppers and we just go where we want to go! It's interesting because I am a HUGE planner in daily life, but I just refuse to vacation that way and have no desire to do so. We know what our very favorite things are and we'll do those repeatedly I'm sure, and we'll fit in the other things we want to do.

When we make our Christmas trip (it WILL happen), I think we will plan in much more detail because of the crowds that time of year. But we're going in May this year (24 days!!!!!) and I really think we'll be fine.

Do what works for you, I say!

The first few times, my DH and I went to WDW we had no plan. We'd never even considered such a thing.

Then, after we had our first child and discovered these boards, we planned in great detail for a few years, which proved to be very helpful. We went commando and got to accomplish a ton more. However, we were exhausted. When we got home, we needed a vacation after our vacation!

Now we usually wing it. We tent camp at fort wilderness, enjoy the resort, never make rope drop, and b/c we know what we are doing, we always get to do everything we want to do while we are there without running ourselves ragged. I will admit, I do intend to make a few ADR's for our November vacation this year b/c my youngest hasn't had many character meals (none that she was old enough to remember anyway), so I promised her a few of those. But besides those and getting our campsite, that's all the real tour-type planning I intend to do.

However, in November 2014, we may be travelling with another family who has never been to WDW before and this will likely be the only trip they take while the kids are small. In that situation, I'm sure we'll go all commando again. I'd better start getting in shape now!

I am enjoying reading all these post from people that have detailed plans and prior dining reservations etc..but was just curious if there are people that go with out any plans?

I have looked into when the princesses will be at different locations in the parks, etc....but our family is the type that we like to not have a schedule, we want to be able to come and go as we would like. We do plan on eating out some, mostly quick service food at the parks for lunch, but also have a full kitchen at our condo, and plan on relaxing by the pool at Bonnet Creek and eating at their restaurants on-site for dinner or in the room

Just want to see if there are others that don't have a schedule! Thank you!!:)

I never plan and never feel like I miss out on anything....the important thing to keep in mind is do what your family is comfortable with....it is suppose to be a vacation...

This is our first time and we are planning a little bit, mostly just what day what parks and such. We have some idea of Fastpass and how to take advantage of them and the "use anytime" child swap Fast passes.

Having said that, we have not planned in detail what we are going to do when, but one thing that we have planned a lot about is to "take it easy" when the plan goes haywire :goodvibes

And I am not ADR crazy with 2 kids in tow.... :cool2:

48 hrs for liftoff !!

For your first trip, I think its important to do some sort of a plan. It doesn;t have to be detailed to the minute/hour. Pick a park and at least a timeframe that you want to arrive per day. If you want to have a meal in a restaurant that is not quick service, make ADRs. I guess it also depends on time of year that you are visiting. But I believe if you go that route, you need to go into with low expectations.

I am a quasi planner: I make ADRs at 180 days, plan my parks ahead of time and thats just about it. For our upcoming trip in September, I have pre-planned a rope drop day at MK in order to have a stress free tour in FL. But beyond that, we will go where my kids take us!
Now they are very familiar with the parks and know where their favorite rides/attractions are- so that helps with time spent wandering around.

For your first trip, I think its important to do some sort of a plan. It doesn;t have to be detailed to the minute/hour. Pick a park and at least a timeframe that you want to arrive per day. If you want to have a meal in a restaurant that is not quick service, make ADRs. I guess it also depends on time of year that you are visiting. But I believe if you go that route, you need to go into with low expectations.

I am a quasi planner: I make ADRs at 180 days, plan my parks ahead of time and thats just about it. For our upcoming trip in September, I have pre-planned a rope drop day at MK in order to have a stress free tour in FL. But beyond that, we will go where my kids take us!
Now they are very familiar with the parks and know where their favorite rides/attractions are- so that helps with time spent wandering around.

I agree with you, we plan to be in the parks at or close to rope drop and do headliners first.
We are convincing ourselves that we will drag the kids to the resort for a mid day nap/pool time, but its not set in stone, lets see what goes.
We have a undecided day towards the end of the trip to do the kids "park of choice", somehow I feel we are going to end up in MK for that ! ::yes::

We have planned for down days at the resort, and have a car rental for the whole time. With a 2 yr old :hyper: , we hope we can make it happen.

The only plans I every really make are ADRs, and I don't always do that. Without an ADR sometimes it's hard to get into anywhere besides a quick service; although I've gotten lucky a few times.
When I would take a Disney trip once per year, I planned much more, knowing I wouldn't go again for awhile. I made DETAILED plans with printouts for each day with details and ADR confirmation numbers. But now that I have my annual passes, we can go to Disney anytime we have a free day. :woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter