Going to park with kids 3 and 6 - nap, evenings etc

jgeorge15

Earning My Ears
Just newbee here - hope you do not mind me asking these

Just trying to figure out the days and times to visit each parks

We are going in April 1-6th. When do you all get up and go to park and when do you get back to place of stay?

We will be staying 6 miles away - Do you think we can take an aftenoon break and come back later in the evening?

How long does it take to get out of the park during crowded days - approximatey - after watching night time parades/fireworks - any good spots to get out early? if you stayed for any of the 8.30, 9, 10 shows - were you able to get to parks early next day morning?

Were you able to stick to plans?

Did you ever taker a jogging double stroller? I felt that is easy to push with 2 different aged kids - will taht be ok to move around in park?

TIA

Jessy

I found for us we got to the parks when they opened, stayed until about 12-1 pm, went back for lunch/rest/naps/swim, and then went back @ 5 - close. We stayed on-site which made it very easy to do.

We do the same thing our boys are 5 and 2. We get there first thing, leave after lunch and then go back around 5pm. We stay on site also so it may make it easier, but it is still doable offsite.

We did the same thing, at the parks when the opened, stayed for lunch then headed back to the hotel for nap, swim. After swimming, we went back for dinner, fireworks etc. It worked well for us. We were there last Sept with our 3 and 5 year old and a double stroller. Our 5 year old was tall enough to ride Big Thunder Mtn and Splash Mtn and wanted no part of Fantasyland. We ended up splitting up and having our 5 year old walk. When we go back, I would bring 2 strollers. It was alot of walking for a 5 year old!

We went last year with two - aged 2 and 4. We are big believers in getting to the park at park opening. You get to see so much the first hour or two before the crowds get there.

A couple of days - we didn't go back for naps but would just go as long as we could before leaving (maybe 4 pm) and dd would fall asleep on the way back to the room. But we also left a couple times for naps and then went back.

Keep in mind - it is not an easy thing to 'run back to the room for a nap' - you have to leave the park, get on the tram (close stroller if you bring one), get off tram, load up in car, drive back to hotel and then unload. Then do the reverse on the way back. I find that with little ones, it is often a lot easier to just stay a little longer and then stay at the hotel once you get there - the traveling and loading/unloading just is an ordeal sometimes with the little ones.

Not sure if you're planning on this - but since you're staying off-site - stop at a grocery store and bring snacks and drinks into the parks with you. I found this a lot easier with the kids - no need to always stop if they need a drink, etc. We've also brought PB&J's for lunch too.

Thanks for everyones reply. It is always good to hear from people who have same situation.

I still have a question -about parking - Are we paying for a one day or one time parking ticket? Can we go out and come back with the same parking ticket?

Thanks a again
Jessy

I am in the same boat. My kids will be almost 5 and almost 6 when we go. They don't nap during the day anymore but I don't want to wear them out. The only thing I'm afraid of is if we go back to our room in the middle of the day, they'll be too lazy to go back to the parks. I would much rather just stay in the park as long as possible and get to bed a bit early in the night.

Thanks for everyones reply. It is always good to hear from people who have same situation.

I still have a question -about parking - Are we paying for a one day or one time parking ticket? Can we go out and come back with the same parking ticket?

Thanks a again
Jessy

Save your receipt from earlier in the AM and show that when you return to any WDW parking lot that same day.

I'm planning on doing the same thing. But, I not quite sure what to expect, because my youngest will be 2 when we go. She may give up naps, by that point, but I sure hope not!

I found for us we got to the parks when they opened, stayed until about 12-1 pm, went back for lunch/rest/naps/swim, and then went back @ 5 - close. We stayed on-site which made it very easy to do.

We do the same & take a shower too :) .

We are able to stay to closing (10pm) & watch the fireworks & head back to the resort but we stay at the Poly & we only do MK & EPCOT at night so we just hop on the monorail back 'home'.

I think one time in 2002, it was dh, me & dd-15 mo. We watched Illuminations & got back to the Poly via the monorail at about 9:45-9:50. We walked very fast to get on that monorail.

Thanks again for the replies. I appreciate it

My little girl will be 3 in April after our trip - She still take a nap almost all days - and skips some times too. First couple of days we might be ok to go till 4 or 5 but then it might get harder.

We will reach there on a Saturday after noon - so I might even think about visiting MK at that day becuase the wishes show is at 9 - after that it will be AT 10 that means we will get to resort before 11 or so.

What do you all think about visiting MK on Saturday evening on March 31st?

If we reach at the park around 5 -5.30 - what are attraction we should see/ride before getting ready to see spectro magic and wishes

Thanks again for helping me out

Jessy

Make sure you get there right at or slightly before opening - we always get the most attractions done by far during the first 2-3 hours of the day because it is quieter, many of the rides will be walk-ons, until 11 or 12 when all the non-morning people finally arrive!

We stay off-site, and always go at park opening (or before for breakfast), and go back to the condo for a swim/nap break mid-day. It is refreshing, and the kids will want to head back to the park, don't worry! One trick I read somewhere is to try to go back to the same parking spot when you return. It works out about 90% of the time. Bring food with you to eat during the commute, and, most importantly, adjust your pace to what is enjoyable to you and your family. It should feel like vacation.

Hello, I absolutely agree with everyone to get there early. Most days we take a break at lunch time and return to the resort for a swim or some T.V. watching even though my children do not nap in the room. Occasionally we will stay at the park until late afternoon and not come back at night. (Usually we do this is the kids want to see an afternoon parade.) If you are comfortable with your own double carriage go for it. I usually bring my own stroller for anyone 4 and under(DD4 will sleep in a carriage but not nap in the hotel room :confused3 ) but rent a double stroller at Epcot which DS8 still fits in to comfortably. You know your kids the best but your 6 year old will likely need to ride for some of the time at Epcot and Magic Kingdom. Make sure to schedule a couple late mornings, early evenings or days off so everyone doesn't get too exhausted. Have a great trip.:banana:

Thanks for everyones reply. I was sick strep, head ache and fever so did not want spent time on computer

I appreciate the comments and suggestions from the every who visited WDW with kids.

I might take 2 lightweight strollers instead of double stroller as that will make easy to go through the crowd

Jessy

Thanks for everyones reply. I was sick strep, head ache and fever so did not want spent time on computer

I appreciate the comments and suggestions from the every who visited WDW with kids.

I might take 2 lightweight strollers instead of double stroller as that will make easy to go through the crowd

Jessy

glad to hear you're feeling better! We have 4 kids -- 3 are 4 & under. We are usually at the parks too at opening and stay until lunch. We head back to the resort for naps/pool. DH and I usually alternate staying with the napping boys while the other takes the older two to the pool. We're back at the parks by around 5pm and stay as late as they'll last.

That's a great idea to take 2 singles, especially if you'll split up so that one kid is not left without a stroller -- it's a lot of walking especially for the little ones. We did this before my youngest was born and it worked out great!

if you do not want to go "all the way back' to your hotel for naps, hop on the monorail or train and just ride it in circles for an hour or so LOL! Seriously. The monorail has AC and as long as you are not occupying too much realestate in the prime hours, you can ride it for a nice break!

We did do naps in the room (We stayed on site) well, tried to. We would head back to the room and they (then almost 6, just turned 4 and 14 months) would usually nap on the bus, then we would let them swim when we got back to the room. We'd head back around dinner time and stay late, usually catching evening shows.

Then we'd try to make rope drop each day (never actually did, but did AM EMH one day).

We took our double graco stroller AND rented a double stroller each day we were there. The baby had a "comfy" seat and the girls got a break when they needed. We also took the sling and I think we used it more thean the stroller for transporting a child. Yes, it was August and it was HOT, but he was just more comfy in the sling...and it made some rides easier to go on.

Not sure what we will do this year. They will be almost 7, just turned 5 and just turned 2 this trip! The baby would often nap in the stroller. Actually the 4YO did, too. we took our cues form the 5YO as to how close we were to melt!

~down. One day we actually got to MK at 8 for ADRs at Crystal Palace and stayed until Wishes. There wasn't a melt down, but MOmmy and Daddy were VERY tired that night! We ende dup having a lazy morning and not hitting AK until almost 11, and then we left early since I got socked with a migrain. Not sure if too much MK the day before was a culprit, but we didn't enjoy the park as much as I had hoped.

You know your family best. pace yourself and remember that travelling with children always involves a slower go and negotiations, and you will have a magical trip!

~Elena

Elena and others

I love that idea of taking naps in train/mono rail. Is there a monorail and train? Does both have AC? My kids love riding in train - we might do that after lunch. I am not planning to spent all day in any parks

I will MK one day evening for the parades and Epcot - may be a late stand catch the fireworks

If we are at the parks at opening -we will leave the parks early - by 4 or so so that we can go and relax for next day morning adventure.

I will share my experiance I after our trip so others can benifit from it

You all are great in sharing tips

Thanks a lot
Jessy

The train circles MK with three stops (Main St, Frontierland and Toon Town). It is open air with no AC.

last year dd's were 3, 5 and 7 months. We were in the parks at opening or shortly after opening. They were not big on fireworks but I was determined to do the night parade and Wishes at MK. So, that day we left the parks in the afternoon, they took a nap and then went for a swim, showered and we went to dinner back at MK. Even with the nap after Wishes, they were exhausted.

Every other day, we left the parks by 5 for the day. They were quite content to go back and swim and play in the fountains. They did not take naps any other day. They were wiped out by the end of the day and it was a breeze getting them to go to sleep.

The baby napped in her stroller, no problem

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter