• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Going to New Orleans!

njprincess601

DIS Veteran
I have a conference in New Orleans in March and have 1 day free to explore the city. Any suggestions on what's "not to miss?" I've never been before and am really excited to see the city.

I have not suggestions but lucky!

I think people go to that one street a lot when they got there.

Great city to tour!

Don't miss Jackson Square, beignets at Cafe du Monde, the French Market, walk along Bourbon St. Oh yes, and eat lots of different things, especially those with seafood. Some really good cooking down there.

Just a caution though. Be sure you bring your street smarts with you. NOLA can have a seamy side and there are a few people that prey on tourists. Don't walk alone down a deserted street, don't bring all your money/credit cards when out exploring.

Do have an open mind - its different in NOLA.

What dates? I ask because Mardi Gras is in March this year. If you stick to the tourists areas, you should be fine. But, like a previous poster said, this is a dangerous place! :mad: Stick to suggested places and explore them during the day. With that said, you will probably have a great time. Check out the Riverwalk, Jackson Square, the French Market, and you can ride the ferry to the west bank and back to get a beautiful view of the city from the river. Don't get off, just ride there and back. It's about a 30 minute ride roundtrip and it's free. Hope you have a great time when you come down. :thumbsup2

What dates? I ask because Mardi Gras is in March this year. If you stick to the tourists areas, you should be fine. But, like a previous poster said, this is a dangerous place! :mad: Stick to suggested places and explore them during the day. With that said, you will probably have a great time. Check out the Riverwalk, Jackson Square, the French Market, and you can ride the ferry to the west bank and back to get a beautiful view of the city from the river. Don't get off, just ride there and back. It's about a 30 minute ride roundtrip and it's free. Hope you have a great time when you come down. :thumbsup2

I'll be there March 23-27 which I believe is after Mardi Gras. Thanks so much for your suggestions! I'm a native New Yorker so I'll definitely bring my "street smarts" haha. I plan on sticking to the tourist areas but of course want to see the best of what your wonderful city has to ofter!

I agree with Jackson Square and Cafe du Monde! My husband really liked eating at the Gumbo Shop.

I loved this Plantation tour! The tour guide was so wonderfully Southern and it was so interesting to learn the difference between what we usually think of as a plantation and a Creole Plantation. (Laura Plantation)

http://www.graylineneworleans.com/plantation_riverroad.shtml

The bus ride was great too to see the countryside. They pick you up right near Jackson Square.

I went last April, you should have good weather too!
Also, I had no idea the French Quarter would be as fun as it was. The clubs are all a little different, no cover charges, live and DJ music and dancing, and you can carry your drinks around with you.

Have fun!

I live in the metro area and work in downtown area (CBD). Definitely go to Mother's on Poydras St. for a "Debris" poboy; Cafe duMonde for coffee & begnets; ride a streetcar to the French Quarter & all the way down St. Charles Ave. (uptown) and see the beautiful Garden District homes; if money is no object, take a cab (or uptown streetcar) to eat at Commanders Palace - delicious food & impeccable service! While in the French Quarter, be sure to visit the shops and the St. Louis Cathedral. The Superdome is down Poydras Street. Visit Mardi Gras World andlike a previous poster said, take a ride to the Westbank via the Canal Street ferry (across the Mississippi River).

Let me know if you have any other questions! I've lived here all my life! Have fun!!

Where will you be staying? The hotel consierge should be able to make some more suggestions.

I went to New Orleans for a conference years ago and loved it. I bought a book on New Orleans walking tours and enjoyed taking myself around some areas in daylight. Bourbon Street was much seedier than I anticipated. It's not all jazz clubs and restaurants. There were several "Gentleman's Clubs" and shops that sold products geared for adults to use in privacy, which they proudly displayed in their shop windows. Some of the more well-known restaurants are just a short distance off of Bourbon Street.

Definitely try to go to Preservation Hall to hear some jazz. It's very small, but worth getting there early. There were some good jazz clubs near Preservation Hall that I really enjoyed.

I agree with going to Cafe DuMonde for the beignets. One of my favorite things to eat was the Mufaletta Sandwich from the Central Grocery, which is not far from the Cafe DuMonde.

I did a Plantation Tour and I also went on a Swamp Tour. It was a lot of fun. The tour guide claimed their swamp was the one Walt Disney filmed for the "America the Beautiful" film that played in Disneyland for years. They sold Disney-themed postcards in their gift shop, so perhaps it was true.

I will echo the same caution as others about being careful and knowing where your wallet/purse is at all times - especially at night on Bourbon Street when it is crowded. Also, do not speak with street people who come up to engage you in conversation. When I was there the police were handing out fliers warning tourists about all the scams the street people were up to.

Despite the warning, I would visit New Orleans again. It is a wonderful city - especially if you like good food and good music.

I have to second the Laura Plantation tour. We did that a few years ago when some co-workers and I were in NOLA volunteering with Habitat for Humanity.

The highlight of the trip for me was catching the Gay Easter Parade. Drag Queens on floats. AMAZING. :cloud9:

My family had one day, actually an evening through about 4 the next day, to visit and decided to go with the Visiticket which sells tickets for a certain number of days to as many attractions that participate in that given time period that you can make it to. We bought a one day ticket for $60 each. We pricelined a 4 star and got a GREAT corner room at something like a Hyatt that looked down Canal Street. Gorgeous view at night!! We were able to make it down Bourbon and Royale Streets before dark and I never felt unsafe. There were some people that I wouldn't go up and talk to but nobody I'd cross the street to avoid. We walked through those streets over to Jimmy Buffet's then up that street back to the hotel. The next morning we started early because we had a lot of places we wanted to go! We started off at the French Market then on to Cafe DuMonde. We saw the Cathedral. We then bought our Visiticket. It was hard to pick and choose and I would have really loved more time but we had to visit an old friend that night in MS on our way to FL. We hit Mardis Gras World (their bus picks you up), then the Steamboat Natchez for a river tour (right in the same area the bus picked us up and dropped us off at), got our car and made a mad dash to feed the giraffes at the Audubon Zoo (where they had started early and we missed it!!) which left us with a quick car ride to the Destrehan Plantation (which took us past a classic New Orleans cemetery)! It was a whirlwind day but I loved it! It reminded me a lot of our Disney trips! :) Given a couple more hours, I'd have tried to throw in the airboat trip at the swamp! I highly recommend all that we did though! There were so many more choices as well. Price out what you want to do, check it out and HAVE FUN!

I live in the metro area and work in downtown area (CBD). Definitely go to Mother's on Poydras St. for a "Debris" poboy

Great now all I can think of is a Mother's Debris poboy!!:worship:

Quite possibly the best thing on earth!!

Great now all I can think of is a Mother's Debris poboy!!:worship:

Quite possibly the best thing on earth!!

Very overrated! The "debris" has no flavor. Some of the other food is pretty good. I just don't like the sandwich. Acme Oyster house has the same sandwich, but 1000 times better IMHO.

We were able to make it down Bourbon and Royale Streets before dark and I never felt unsafe. There were some people that I wouldn't go up and talk to but nobody I'd cross the street to avoid.

Feeling safe and actually being safe are 2 different things. I love my city and was born and raised here, but I just have to be honest. We've had tourists murdered. 2 people were murdered in the French Quarter within the last few months. One was a marine. New Orleans is consistently on top of the murder rate charts. And while the tourists areas are safer than the rest of the city, it does spill over into that area from time to time. So, please be careful, and try not to "Look" like a tourist.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter