Going to DL tomorrow- Will I need hip waders?

RainyDayPixie

Mouseketeer
To all of you there yesterday and today- is there a lot of standing water still? And how are the crowds?

I'm not worried about rain coming down, but lots of standing water would be a drag! Just trying to decide what to pack. Do I need to pull out my hip waders? :rotfl2:

I'll be there this time tomorrow!

There have been various pictures posted around the internet of ducks floating down Main Street on Tuesday. As I type this, it is rain really hard and I live within an hour of Disneyland. I would want boots on if I were out anywhere in So. Cal. today, as our drains are just not set up for the volume of rain we have been seeing. I would give the same advice for visiting Disneyland. Now, hip waders? :rotfl: I don't know if that would just make the day miserable.

As for crowds, if it's raining like today - you will have the Park to yourself.

Here's a picture from Twitter from yesterday:
DucksatDLR.jpg

- Dreams

Oh my goodness! Dreams, I hadn't seen that picture of the ducks floating down Main Street until now! That is hilarious! People who don't live in SoCal - or in California - don't understand how quickly the rain can build up and turn into a mess out here. They think, "Eh, whats a little rain?" But, as you said, our storm drains can't handle the volume of rain we get in such a short period of time, so mayhem ensues and streets flood very quickly. So that photo of the ducks is very descriptive!

Oh man I hope it doesn't look like that on Saturday! :scared1:

Hopefully you will not need hip waders. ;) May the force be with you! :) And have a magical day!

Dreams- I saw you post that pic on another thread. I guess I was sort of hoping that all that water magically disappeared yesterday and today...

Just bought a new pair of rain boots today for my day at the park tomorrow.

Would you all guess that the fireworks show will be cancelled?

I hear you. I have been racing all over town buying DS new shoes.....waterproofing all our shoes over the next 24 hours. :scared1:

Kohls had some rain boots on clearance for $3 a pair several months ago. I bought them with the thought of my girls wearing them when we went up north in the snow, which they did. I am so glad I have those for them for this trip! Not sure what DH and I are going to do. Have wet feet most likely. :laughing:

I just got back last night from four days at rainy DL. Go prepared and you should be fine. I wore knee high rain boots and was happier for it. I also had a rain jacket layered over fleece along with a small travel umbrella for when it was really coming down. The rain would hit HARD, just torrential, and DL doesn't have good drainage so there were HUGE puddles and flooded areas. It lasted 2-3 hours (varying intensity) then stopped and the sun came out! When it hit hardest we ducked into stores and stopped to eat. Crowds left in droves when it really started, but then it cleared up and the park was empty and beautiful.

I did see the ducks swimming in the street. It was hilarious! They were loving the rain!

We were there today and yesterday. I say rain/ snow type boots are best. I wore leather type non slip shoes that I picked up at walmart( I will tell more about that later) it was some puddles but not too bad in the right shoes. My feet didn't get wet intel the very end and tht was after all day in the parks and it dumping rain.

You might need waders! This darn rain keeps getting super heavy (about 15 minutes ago) with all kinds of wind, then it calms down and gets downright quiet, and now it is pouring with a vengeance again, beating hard against my window. Supposedly some nasty thunder is coming, but I have not heard it yet.

Saturday and Sunday are supposed to be the "get out and run your errands" days. Late Monday or early Tuesday will see more rain.

Goodness! Looks like the parks closed early today again. They'll open tomorrow. Won't they (she asks hopefully and in a very tiny voice)?

Does anyone know what number to call to see if the parks are open? Or do we just head straight from the airport and hope we don't have a Griswold family vacation moment?

(BTW- This quickie trip is adults only, so at least my kiddos won't be disappointed if it doesn't happen. Me on the other hand....)

I don't know for sure, but I would think the parks will open, most likely they'll just close early, which is what happened for us. If the rain is heavy several attractions may be closed as well. I think it's rare for the parks to not open at all so you should be good!

If you go to disneyland.com you can find a number for general park info. You should be able to reach a live person to ask for sure about the parks being open.

I'm sure the parks will open tomorrow. The rain isn't supposed to be as bad as today. You can call 1-714-781-7290 to find out for sure. I think they open @ 7am

It is pouring pouring pouring right now - heavy rain where I am in L.A. (Friday afternoon, about noon). And I am not even getting the heaviest of it. Those of you who thought DLR was in the clear for today, get out the rain gear!! It's a-comin' your way!!

It is indeed wet here today! But walk on to everything. Just ate at BB. There are many empty tables. I love it!

Dreams- I saw you post that pic on another thread. I guess I was sort of hoping that all that water magically disappeared yesterday and today...

Would you all guess that the fireworks show will be cancelled?
hehe, another DIS member must have seen the same photo on Twitter and shared it as well. I only posted it on this thread. Oh how I wish the water would magically disappear.

As for fireworks, my understanding is that fireworks happen unless there is wind or lightning. Last night we had thunder and lightning where I am (less than an hour from DLR).

...It lasted 2-3 hours (varying intensity) then stopped and the sun came out! When it hit hardest we ducked into stores and stopped to eat. Crowds left in droves when it really started, but then it cleared up and the park was empty and beautiful.
And for those whom Disneyland is about checking off how many rides you can ride in 1 day - perfect conditions!

It is pouring pouring pouring right now - heavy rain where I am in L.A. (Friday afternoon, about noon). And I am not even getting the heaviest of it....
It just keeps falling. We had lightning and thunder last night around 11pm and it has not stopped raining since. :guilty:

It is indeed wet here today! But walk on to everything. Just ate at BB. There are many empty tables. I love it!
Glad you are enjoying your visit! For a Seattle resident, I bet the rain is no big deal for you. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter