Going to Disneyland when its Raining LESS Crowds?

Typically it gets lighter crowd wise.
Earthquakes may be even better. My neighbor says he went to the park the day after the Northridge quake and it was empty!

When we were there in December of 2014, it was dead when raining. We went in every e ticket ride in DL and DCA in one morning!

I went in February a few times and I have been there when it rained most of the week. It seemed like a light rain just made people put on ponchos and kept on going. A heavy rain on the other hand seemed to send some back to their hotels. After 4 days of rain nearly all day it was a nearly empty, then on day 5 the sun came out and it was beautiful-then everybody was back in the park by the afternoon.

When we were there in December, it was POURING rain so bad that our shoes and jackets were completely soaked and there were puddles everywhere we walked. We kept sticking it out, thinking the crowds would start clearing. We were so wrong! It seemed like the crowds stayed put for the most part. I'm guessing everyone was hoping for the same thing - the longer they stuck it out, the more the crowds would disperse. I think it can be hit or miss on whether or not crowds disperse with the rain.

rain can definitely lighten the crowds a bit. rides like grizzly river and splash mountain are usually walk-ons. it seems families with very young kids/babies don't like to be out in the rain, so they will hide out/return to their hotel until conditions improve.

Beginning of this year we were there for 3 days. It was forecasted to rain and it rained for most of the 3 days. The crowds were lighter, especially at DCA. But it was not by any means dead like it would have been 5 years ago.

When rides start closing, parades get canceled, characters go inside and people can't use outdoor seating it won't matter if the crowds get a little lighter, you'll know where everyone is. They'll be wherever you are.

My observation has been that locals largely don't come and heavy rains only drive some tourists back to their hotels. So if it's a tourist-heavy time, it doesn't lighten up as much as a local-heavy time.

Rain definitely reduces crowds. That's awesome. What's NOT awesome, is, well......the rain.
Just having to deal with it is pretty miserable. Some people just love it and make the best of it. Not me. I'm not happy there when it's raining.
I see families trying to keep it all together and it looks so stressful and not fun. Lots of slipping around, etc.

A little light rain/sprinkles, OK. But hardcore downpour, yuck. I'm from Seattle so I know rain :)

You can usually wait it out unless you're stuck in the middle of a big storm that's going to last for days. That's straight up bad luck.
The one day it poured was during the holidays and we hung back at the Grand Californian all day until it let up. It was lovely and very relaxing.

I was there December 2014 and it POURED one of the days of our trip. We stuck it out all morning and the crowds seemed to not die down at all. However, after we went back to our hotel room around lunchtime to change into dry clothes half of our party stayed behind (because it was still pouring) and half went back for the afternoon. The two that went into the park ended up staying till close and reported that the park was absolutely dead the entire time.

I think it ultimately depends on how long and how hard it rains.

I actually like my rainy Disney time. The crowds thin in heavier rain and I bring rainboots and rain ponchos and whatever things that you need to stay as dry as possible and its not bad. I also sip cocoa and coffee to keep warm and happy and I munch on warm beignets. In fact I may use the rain as an excuse to eat extra warm beignets. when my son was a little guy in a stroller I brought the rain cover and he was downright toasty and bone dry under there watching a dvd and drinking cocoa. He even asked if he could take his jacket off lol.

But I dont mind rain if I can keep my feet dry. Heat on the other hand...I cant take it at all.

We went December 23, 2007. It was chilly, slightly windy and sprinkling but not really raining. The park was dead. We tried to get there for rope drop and were late and showed up around 8:30 for an 8am opening. the parking structure was empty. I think we parked by the busses. I thought maybe something was wrong and the park was closed or something. We bought 2 day hoppers and got everything done in both parks in one day. Walk on for everything and 3 of my boys got chosen for Jedi. Awesome. We came back on the 26th and it was packed. All we did was shopping and FPed a couple rides. It was a great trip.

Here's my take. Rain is SoCal is rare and usually light (I'm a Chicagoan originally, where it *really* rains). When the rain is characteristically light, crowds aren't effected that much. However, I was at the park three or four months ago and it was pounding rain. Crowds were virtually non-existent and nearly everything was a walk-on. The drawback, of course, is that you're going to get wet. Hell, you'd be dryer riding Splash Mountain ;-). But if you can tolerate it for a few hours, they'll be time well spent.

As an aside, I'm always trying to second guess/estimate crowds. Rarely am I successful. For example, I went to the park on Super Bowl Sunday this year. I hoped/expected crowds would be light. They weren't. I've since given up trying to game attendance.

I took my three boys to Disney for a short trip a few months back and it started POURING. We stuck it out, and it was basically DEAD in the park for hours that evening and it was so awesome and memorable! Yeah, the rain is wet, and uncomfortable, but it was like an adventure for my boys, traversing the park at night in the rain, riding rides, which were basically all walk-ons. We laughed a lot and really enjoyed seeing the emptied park (especially since it's Sooooo crowded these days all the time). Ended the night with ice cream on main street.

Anyway, sorry for the reminiscing :p But in my experience, yes it almost completely cleared everyone out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter