Going to Disneyland - Any tips?

Merriweather

Earning My Ears
It's official :cool1: , going Dec. 9 thru 12, which shouldn't be too crowded from what I've heard. I just booked a 2 bedroom, 2 bath suite at the Desert Inn. I think I got a good rate, I know it's close, and will give more privacy and space than one room, and less anxiety than booking "non-guaranteed" connecting rooms somewhere and hoping we get them, LOL. Party consists of me, DH, DD, DD's DH, and 3 year old granddaughter. First trip for GD. None us us has been in about 3 years. SO, any tips/hints etc. appreciated. Comments on hotel (hopefully good :-), what's there for the 50th, what's there for Xmas, what's good for a toddler, etc. I love hearing ideas from you guys, in the past I have gotten great ideas I'd never have thought of from these boards. :cheer2:

I suggest calling Disney Dining prior to your visit to book lunch/dinner reservations in advance. They book priority seating up to 60 days in advance (714-781-3463).

I love going to Disneyland during Christmas time. When you ride on It's A Small World, they have bubbles that come down as you enter some of the tunnels. It's so neat and I love it! They also have cool cookie decorating for kids and even adults. Last year it was on Main St. at the Fire House and my little sister loved it. I believe it was free too but I can't remember. :sunny:

My family and I really enjoyed the Christmas parade and we ate at Blue Bayou (I highly recommend their prime rib with au grautin potatoes).

Oooh and they also have strawberry churros! :earsboy: Hope you have loads of fun! :teeth:

Does DL have a Christmas party in the evening, like WDW? Thanks

Not that I know of...I heard there is a cast member party on one or two of the early December nights, that closes the park to the public at 6 instead of 8...But no MVMCP like WDW does. I think they just started a version of the Halloween one at DL, so maybe in the future....

eatmypixiedust said:
I suggest calling Disney Dining prior to your visit to book lunch/dinner reservations in advance. They book priority seating up to 60 days in advance (714-781-3463).

I love going to Disneyland during Christmas time. When you ride on It's A Small World, they have bubbles that come down as you enter some of the tunnels. It's so neat and I love it! They also have cool cookie decorating for kids and even adults. Last year it was on Main St. at the Fire House and my little sister loved it. I believe it was free too but I can't remember. :sunny:

My family and I really enjoyed the Christmas parade and we ate at Blue Bayou (I highly recommend their prime rib with au grautin potatoes).

Oooh and they also have strawberry churros! :earsboy: Hope you have loads of fun! :teeth:

Thanks for the info, the cookies sound perfect for a 3 year old, and I've never seen Small World at Christmas. Any suggestions for restaurants? I love the Blue Bayou. What else would be good, especially with a three year old?

I took my dd almost 5 in April, not too crowded,, but here are my tips. First, get there when they open, we were able to do a bunch of things in the kid area, Like Dumbo and all those in about an hour, which would have taken many hours later in the day. Same with Calif. adventure. Also, with a little one, go back to the room at lunch or after so they can rest.
If you rent a stroller, take a scarf (colorful one) and tie it to the handle so you canm find it in a sea of strollers. Although my kid is older and we don't even own a stroller anymore, she really enjoyed being able to ride around a relax. :cool1:
If the 3 yr old is shy, I suggest an autograph book for her to have the characters sign, it gave my daughter (who is shy) a good excuse to approach the characters. :rotfl:

have a great trip, we loved it and are planning to go again. :Pinkbounc

eatmypixiedust said:
They also have cool cookie decorating for kids and even adults. Last year it was on Main St. at the Fire House and my little sister loved it. I believe it was free too but I can't remember. :sunny:

Just an FYI, the cookie decorating is not free. It costs $5 for a large cookie and a plate of frosting/decorations. It is fun, though, the kids really enjoy it. :)

eatmypixiedust said:

When did they reduce it from 90 days?

As for will they do a party or not, who knows this year? They haven't in previous years, but we are getting Mickey's Halloween Treat this year and we found out about it a month or so ago, so I would say if there will be ne we will hear by the end of this month to mid-october, so keep checking the boards for information, they may do something, we'll have to see.

Also be sure to check out Haunted Mansion Holiday, they do it up witha Nightmare Before Chistmas Theme for the Halloween and Chiristmas Holidays, always a lot of fun.

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Parade is a must (whichever park they end up putting it in this year).

They also have Carrolers on Main Street and if you have time at the hotels, they are often overlooked but are really good.

have a corn dog at the little red wagon just off main street towards tomorrowland. yummy!

Last trip, we got a plain t-shirt and had the characters sign it instead of an autograph book. DS loved having them sign it as he was wearing it and it was a great souvenier. A sweatshirt would work also.

:earsgirl:

cmwade77 said:
When did they reduce it from 90 days?

I'm not sure but their recording states that they book priority seating up to 60 days from the date you call in to make reservations. I didn't know that it used to be 90 days in advance.

abby said:
If the 3 yr old is shy, I suggest an autograph book for her to have the characters sign, it gave my daughter (who is shy) a good excuse to approach the characters. :rotfl:

DD is planning to use a small size scrapbook and have them sign the pages (the Creative Memories ones have pages rather than just page protectors, and can be rearranged if needed) - then she can put a picture of DGD and the character next to the autograph. :earsboy:

Does Disneyland have the park open at night for a Christmas party like WDW?

DMRick said:
Does Disneyland have the park open at night for a Christmas party like WDW?

No Christmas party at Disneyland.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They have a cookie 'baking' station on Main Street near Coke Corner. It's not advertised, just a part of the streetmosphere. It looks really fun for the kiddies and I think it's free.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter