Going to Disneyland Alone??

BreeBrown

Earning My Ears
Has anyone gone solo to Disneyland? I just got my pass and I think I'd like to try it. I usually do things alone, but this is so different! I'd like to hear about others experiences about going alone :)

Has anyone gone solo to Disneyland? I just got my pass and I think I'd like to try it. I usually do things alone, but this is so different! I'd like to hear about others experiences about going alone :)

This forum is primarily for WDW in Florida.
You might want to re-post this question on the Disneyland Forum.

:welcome: to the DISboards!

I did it a few years ago and really enjoyed myself. It's not like you're really alone. You end up talking to the people in line with you or the CM's. I thought it was great. I met another Disney obsessed nut in line and we went to Trader Sam's for a cocktail. I think you'll have a great time. On top of that, you can do what you want when you want without consulting with anyone else.

I've done it several times. I enjoy myself when I'm by myself at D'land. sometimes I'll strike
up a conversation with a couple or another solo traveler. Sometimes I just enjoy the sights
and sounds all by myself. It's a very accessible pace to go solo.

I went by myself for the morning last week and it was enjoyable. I could go at my own pace, didn't have to take anyone else's desires into consideration, I could eat whatever I wanted without the family member that complains about how expensive everything is standing over my shoulder...it was fun. I don't know if I'd do a full day though, half the day was the perfect amount of time, any more than that and I would start to feel a bit lonely.

Went solo during half marathon weekend last year and doing it again this year. It felt like I got through the parks much quicker then when going with others but it was definitely enjoyable. There were some weird moments where I was on rides with families or groups and you feel like the odd person out but it's no big deal really. Single rider lines for Indiana Jones and Radiator Springs is pretty bonus. Enjoy it and have fun!

I love travelling solo! I do tours, talk to people in line, and can do whatever I want whenever I want! I have arranged Dis meets with folks too which is always fun.

go and enjoy!

Jill in CO

I went solo last summer and had a blast! The best thing about going solo - you can be totally selfish and do everything you want to do without the stress of pleasing a group! :D

I did a day and a half solo last year when the friend I was travelling with was resting up prior to/after the half marathon, and I had a great time! I did a bunch of things I might not have done otherwise, like I went on a Princess scavenger hunt and rode the Mark Twain while enjoying my first cup of coffee of the day. I also second taking advantage of the single rider lines. I'd go solo again in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Before I was married, but after I was out of high school, my mother and I went to Disneyland twice together. On one of those trips she was tired and ready to be done for the day. She went back to the hotel and I stayed by myself. It was different being there alone, but also fun to do what I wanted. I remember that I rode BTMR a few times and that I thought it was odd to ride by myself. Now that I'm married and have kids, I've ridden rides by myself a ton of times due to rider swapping, and it's not as odd though I still prefer riding with others. Fortunately my oldest is now big enough for all but Screamin' and she loves them all except TOT, which she calls the scary elevator ride.

I've done quite a few solo trips, usually for 2 and a half days each time. I like to take a camera and take lots of pictures -- you really get to notice all the great DL details that way.

I went alone for half a day in March and enjoyed. I do prefer going with a friend but as others have said there are people around other solos to talk with in line and stuff. For me, I have an annual pass and am also local. I know both those things make it easier for me to go especially because admission is already paid for. I also did go solo last December for the Candlelight Processional which was such a blessed experience and I enjoyed seeing all the Christmas decorations, too. I do have some health issues and need to watch all the walking so going solo helps with that also in terms of my not needing to feel like someone with me is being limited. All this said, though, this December I am completely wanting to go with a friend, I did feel a little lonely because I did go for 2 days though one of those days, Saturday was mostly spent talking with various CM's about when to return to Main Street (they gave different answers) and then where to stand for the CP. My birthday will be in exactly two weeks and for that if I do go, I would only go with a friend. That is also just me :) I know I said this in my other thread about character meals but if anyone is going solo two weeks from today on May 12th and would like to meet up for Minnie's please PM me. I wish everyone solo or otherwise awesome trips!

ETA: I found a thread for solo travelers in the WDW section. Is there a similar thread for DL? Thank you!

Last edited:
I do a solo trip every year, usually around February, for several days. It's wonderful! Everyone else has pointed out all the reasons it's so great :)

In fact, I think the worst part is all my coworkers saying, "You're going WHERE? By YOURSELF?!?"

I'm going on my first solo trip for the 24 hour party this year, but I've been to a lot of other theme parks solo. It's really fun because you get to set your pace, do what you want to do, and soak up the atmosphere. Again, no experience with DL solo, but at other parks, I love going alone because one of my favorite things is people watching. Theme parks are great places to see human nature at its best and worst. The single rider lines don't hurt, either, plus, you always get to pick what to eat (no being held back by what the kids will eat or what your friend wants).

Solo trips are not for everyone -- but they are definitely for me!

I've spent a lot of solo time at DLR -- I really love it. I still prefer riding certain rides with friends, and I usually prefer dining with friends (especially if it's at a table service location), but otherwise... I am fine on my own and have actually grown to favor solo trips in many ways! I take a lot of photos -- meaning I can rack up something like 700+ photos in just one day, or a couple of thousand photos over the course of a few days -- and I would not be able to do that if I had people with me. I need to be by myself to seek out photo opportunities and get in "the zone." I don't want to inconvenience anyone by stopping every few minutes to study an interesting detail and frame it 'just so,' nor do I want to be interrupted and bothered when I am on photo mission.

When I first had several hours of solo time in the parks back in 2008, it felt a bit strange. I just wasn't used to it after decades of visiting Disneyland with friends or family, and I couldn't fully embrace it. The next occasion for me to have solo time was in 2010, and that's when it started to click! I had something like 2-1/2 days to myself to wander around and do what I wanted, at my own pace. It was glorious. I was with friends at the beginning and end of the trip, but those middle days were all mine!

Ever since then I have either done completely solo trips -- not even meeting up with friends for a meal -- or 90% solo trips, in which friends are with me at the start and then I have several days to myself to explore. I do end up chatting with other people in line, or at the Disney hotels, or wherever. It's not that I wander around with a scowl on my face and a "STAY AWAY" sign! :lmao: But I love my solo trips so much, whether they are just day trips or multi-day trips.

I think I trained myself to adapt to solo trips in my younger years, during visits to other places, so it was just a natural progression for me to fly solo at DLR. Now that I have gotten so used to solo time, I have to actually get into a different mindset to do a "friend trip." Friend trips are great and I have had many wonderful outings in the parks with friends, but it does require shifting my mood, expectations, plans, etc., a bit. Whereas I can be silent and not talk to someone (if I don't feel like talking) during a solo trip, I have to actually interact and have conversations when I am with friends! :lmao:

I go solo to Disneyland all the time. Even before I was a "local" many of my trips to DLR were solo ones. Now that I live here, I have no problem swinging by the park on my day off, or sometimes before I go to work. I've also taken many solo vacations to WDW, and love them as well. My partner, family and friends just aren't as big into Disney as I am. But when I take them with me, they have a magical time as well. But I have never had an issue visiting the parks on my own. I actually look forward to it.

For me, all of my park trips have been solo and I've loved them because I'm doing my own thing. It's my next trip in panicking about...my first non-solo trip!

I go to DL alone all the time. I have an AP and go every few weeks and I always have the best time. I've always found the CMs to be extra nice to me and it's really wonderful to do whatever you want, when you want at your own pace. I never feel lonely there. I'm always chatting up CMs or fellow guests and with so many people around, it's a very comfortable place to be on your own. GO FOR IT!

I'm heading to Disneyland in June for my first solo trip! I'm so looking forward to it and hoping that none of my SoCal friends offer to join me out of sympathy. I'm going to do what I want, take lots of pictures, and eat all the junk food that I want. Who needs meals when you have so many Disney snacks to try? I think being solo isn't for everyone-but I often do a lot of things by myself rather than miss out because no one else is available. I figure Disney is like any music festival-you're going with thousands of your friends. :hippie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter