• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Going to Disneyland (1st time) in July for a Day What should I see.........

rlynch210

Earning My Ears
Hi There Everyone,

In 11 days I will be going to California for the first time. I will be staying from Sunday, July 11th to Leaving at 10pm on Thursday, July 15th.

I'm staying in the downtown L.A./Universal City Area, but plan for one day to go up to Disneyland and check it out.

I was looking at some of the tours that leave from LA, and this one tour for $87 a person picked you up at the hotel at 8;40am, INCLUDES park admission (but you can only choose the Disneyland Park or California Adventure) and then picks you up at Disneyland at 7pm and takes you back to the Hotel.

Pretty good deal huh?

I'm not much of a thrill rider but I can handle Splash Mountain, Thunder, and Space...

So Should I Choose the DisneyLand Park or California Adventure?

Is the Matterhorn in DisneyLand Park of C.A.? Do you think it would be risky for someone like me?

We Plan on Possibly heading to DisneyLand for the day on the Wednesday of that Week.

Thank you in Advance.
~Ryan

I would go to Disneyland. IMHO Disney's California Adventure is one of Disney's most disappointing parks. It is still better than Six Flags... in a way... but not up to par for Disney. There are some nice parts to it and a few good attractions. The Soarin' over California ride is good as is the Animation exhibit. The Aladdin show is really good too but there is part of the park called Paradise Pier that has rides you can go on at any amusement park near where you live. They even have a couple things that you can ride at parkinglot carnivals and county fairs.
Disneyland has all the good stuf. The Matterhorn is in Disneyland as is the Indiana Jones ride, and the long version of Pirates of the Carribean in wonderful New Orelans square. The Pinnochio ride and the great Alice in Wondelrand ride are in Fanatasyland along with the Storybookland Canal Boats.
There is so much to see. I personally would skip the tour and rent a car for the day. Coming home at 7:00 would be a real let down. You could get there at park opening and stay until closing if you rent a car.

If you leave at 7:00 you will miss the fireworks, fantasmic and other nightime events. I would definitely stay for the fireworks. I second doing Disneyland over Ca. Adv. Get there when the park opens and have fun!

You are actually going to DL for one day! Ok -- where to start:

Rent a car - do not take a tour. You will be leaving the park before dark -- WRONG!! Second, check the schedule for the park before you decide which day to go. If you are only going for one day, you want to take advantage of the LONGEST day in the park. Typically Mondays and Tuesdays are the best as far as crowds go. And remember, leave really early from your hotel, no matter what day you go. The traffic in the LA basin is like none other. You won't believe it.

If you are set on only one park, do DL. But if you do, you will miss the new TOT any many other great things in DCA.

In DL, don't miss Indiana Jones, Matterhorn, Fantasmic, Believe, lunch at the Blue Bayou -- the list is endless.

Have a wonderful time.

Leslye

Unfortunately "Beleive, There's Magic in the Stars" fireworks show is not being presented anymore. It has changed to Imagine...Fantasy in the Sky. Reviews are just okay.

I agree--skip the tour and rent a car. Get to the parking garage at DL by 7:30 (or before) so you can be one of the first cars in and hopefully one of the first to the gates. I would suggest splurging on the 1-day park hopper (it's an extra $20), but there'd still be enough at DL alone to keep you busy all day if you wanted just that one park. I just happen to be one of DCA's fans. I went opening weekend and fell in love with the place. Stay late. Leaving at 7 would make you miss out on so much, like Fantasmic and the fireworks. DL after dark is beautiful. Plus some of the rides are better at night. If you only have one day and have never been, you'll find plenty to do all day. If you did the tour, you wouldn't get there until after 10--by that time it's really crowded and lines are long, and leaving before dark, you miss so much.

You are going to have such a wonderful time!

So I take it you have been to the Magic Kingdom at WDW? When was your last visit? In my opinion if you can handle Space Mountain than the Matterhorn will be fine too. Indiana Jones is one of my favorite rides ever! Plus it's a small world is much much better at DL than WDW.

I am planning for my trip next year and I HATE the thought of driving myself, just don't want to do it. But I've found out that you could take the Amtrack for like $35 per person and that would give you more flexibility with arrival and departure time. Also, if you took Amtrak you could even spend the night in the Disneyland area so you could stay for all of the nighttime festivities and enjoy Downtown Disney a little.

If your plans are not flexible or you've already committed to the tour, then I would definitely pick Disneyland over California Adventure. Of course once you go, I'll bet you decide you HAVE to come back in 2005.

Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter