Going to Disney World with 76 yrs old and 6 yrs old

ohman

Earning My Ears
Dear all, I'm new here. Thanks for reading this.

Last time I visited Disney World was like 12 years ago! Time flies, this time I'm taking my daughter, who is 6 years old, my wife, and my parents (76 yrs old and 67 yrs old) to Disney World. We are flying from SFO to MCO, then on 7/17 and 7/18 we have two days to tour around, then on 7/19 afternoon we will board Disney Dream (disney cruise) for a 5 days cruise, then fly back to SFO afterward.

Couple of questions here:

(1) Giving the hot and humid weather in DW, we bought 5 "Kool Towel" for everyone. But I also heard that over there we could buy some sort of "body spray" that could keep the body temperature down. Does anyone know about this? Would the "Kool Towel" work well in DW? How about the scattered T-storms? Do people usually prepare some umbrella with them? Any tips or strategies about the T-storms in DW?

(2) Is "Magic Kingdom" pretty much the same with "Disneyland"?? We just went to Disneyland last year. If we are planning to go in to Disney World for only ONE DAY (with seniors and a 6-years-old), which theme park should we pick and any tips or strategies about planning? (My guess is that my folks won't like to take roller coaster type of rides, but would probably enjoy parades, etc.). So any tips or strategies for planning would be highly appreciated.

(3) Other than Disney World and Universal Studio, is there any other tourist attractions that we should consider (again, please factor in that we have two seniors and one 6-years-old in our group). We might be staying in The Billas of Grand Cypress.

Thanks!

Last time I visited Disney World was like 12 years ago! Time flies, this time I'm taking my daughter, who is 6 years old, my wife, and my parents (76 yrs old and 67 yrs old) to Disney World. We are flying from SFO to MCO, then on 7/17 and 7/18 we have two days to tour around, then on 7/19 afternoon we will board Disney Dream (disney cruise) for a 5 days cruise, then fly back to SFO afterward.

(1) Giving the hot and humid weather in DW, we bought 5 "Kool Towel" for everyone. But I also heard that over there we could buy some sort of "body spray" that could keep the body temperature down. Does anyone know about this? Would the "Kool Towel" work well in DW? How about the scattered T-storms? Do people usually prepare some umbrella with them? Any tips or strategies about the T-storms in DW?

(2) Is "Magic Kingdom" pretty much the same with "Disneyland"?? We just went to Disneyland last year. If we are planning to go in to Disney World for only ONE DAY (with seniors and a 6-years-old), which theme park should we pick and any tips or strategies about planning? (My guess is that my folks won't like to take roller coaster type of rides, but would probably enjoy parades, etc.). So any tips or strategies for planning would be highly appreciated.

(3) Other than Disney World and Universal Studio, is there any other tourist attractions that we should consider (again, please factor in that we have two seniors and one 6-years-old in our group). We might be staying in The Billas of Grand Cypress.

Thanks!

Well, first of all welcome to the Disboards...! :thumbsup2
Here are some answers to your questions:

1) We went to WDW in June and it was very hot there, to keep cool we had these cool neck ties that you would put in cold water and then wear to the park. I am pretty sure you can get them at places like REI and such. I am not sure about the kool towels though... As far a thinderstorms we experienced a sudden thunderstorm, and to prepare I would suggest you bring a small umbrella, and ducking into the shops if one happened at the park.

2) I have never been to Disneyland, but I know it is smaller than WDW. As far as picking a park for only ONE day, I would highly recommend the Magic Kingdom, it's the classic, has the most attractions (also a variety of attractions) and has the castle. Epcot is good, and is very good if you aren't planning on riding a ton of thrill rides. Animal Kingdom, is mainly outside and it will get hot. Disney's Hollywood Studios, has quite a bit of thrill rides, but is a good park. All of the parks are awesome, but if you are only going for one day, I would recommend going to the Magic Kingdom. Also remember to consider the heat, because you will be outside at some point no matter what. :thumbsup2

3) Not sure, I have only really gone to Disney World in Florida...

Have a Great Trip! :goodvibes

Thanks!

1. Thunderstorms are a 50/50 and usually only last 15 maybe 20 minutes. I've bought cheap ponchos from home. You can get them at Target or Walmart for like $1 or so. The same thing with the fans. There are two kinds and cheaper to get at home and pack than to buy at WDW. Some are just a fan some are a fan with a water bottle attached so you can spray cold water. We usually fill it with ice when we leave the resort that way the melted ice is cool on the skin.

2. MK doesn't really have what I consider "roller coasters". There is Space Mountain and Thunder. AKL has Expedition Everest. Studios has Rockin which to me is a coaster! Epcot has thrills but no coasters.
From my multiple viewing s of the planning DVD and info here when I was originally planning to go to Disneyland for Christmas. Disneyland is everything in MK here but smaller. There is however no HS, AKL or Epcot. Are you going to go to each park or are you trying to narrow down to just one?

3. I highly suggest Universal for WWOHP! If you love the books or just the movies it is amazing! There is Sea World and Bush Gardens but I think they are a bit of a distance. If you are going somewhere other than Disney though, Universal is the one.

And don't let the old people fool you. My mom and dad went with us to Universal last summer and even in the 105 weather they were happy and RIDING ALL THE ROLLERCOASTERS!! My Dad still talks about Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey and Dueling Dragons, he's 70! He ate ice cream for breakfast two days out of the 7 and was the first to wake up and call ove rto our room asking when we would be ready!

(1) I'm a native Floridian. Most of our rains are scattered and short-lived. Usually you can just find cover in a ride or store for a half-hour or so and the worst of it'll be over.

(2) Disney World's Magic Kingdom is similar to Disneyland's Magic Kingdom, no doubt--there are quite a few rides common to both. However, there are a few attractions that one has that the other doesn't. And the rides common to both also have some interesting differences as well. I may be biased, but I still think MK is the best park of all 4 WDW majors--it is the most "Disney" to me.

(3) I'm not convinced Universal is right for your family, given the wide range of ages. And I love Universal, btw. Sea World may be a better option, and it is closer to Disney than Universal is. All I can say here is to research the attractions at both and make the best choice you can.

Oh yeah: :welcome:!

WELCOME!!!!
If it were my family and I had to choose 1 park, it would e the Magic Kingdom. It's larger than Disneyland. The biggest help is to arrive at the rope(take the tram to the monorail) 40-45 minutes before the park opens. Look on the Disney world site for the map of the park and have an idea of what you want to see and do.
After you look at the map, send me a private message-click on my name and the drop down will give you the option- and I'll make a touring plan for you as a Dis welcome. First though I think you need 10 posts-someone correct me if I'm wrong- before you can send a private message.

1. I wouldn't bother with an umbrella. Most rain lasts just a short time and it is a good time to take advantage of an indoor ride.

2. Each park is unique (including MK and DLR). With that wide of an age range, I would suggest either MK or Epcot. We have a similar age range when we go this fall and those are the 2 parks we are sticking to as a group.

Epcot is the "tamest" of the parks, but still has some things that all members of the party would like: Soarin', Test Track, Nemo, Turtle Talk, and Spaceship Earth, are all pretty much crowd pleasers. There is also lots of hands-on stuff at Innoventions. My kids like Living with the Land and Gran Fiesta. There are great places to eat and lots of air conditioned shops to keep cool and dry in. There are many character meet and greets in both halves of the park. With only one day (and having been recently to DLR) I might recommend Epcot.

3. I agree with pp that Universal and IOA may not be a great choice for your group. I have not been to either, but my understanding is that they are not for the short or the faint of heart and stomach. Personally, I'd spend 2 days at WDW and do Epcot and MK (make sure you catch the nighttime parade at MK if you go). But if you want to do a non-Disney park, I'd go with Sea World.

My mom and dad (72/76) are HUGE, and I do mean HUGE WDW fans- they've
visited about 25 times. Their last trip was DEC2009 and we're all going again this NOV 2011.

I would recommend the Magic Kingdom:thumbsup2

There are so many shows and attractions that a family can enjoy together:

the Railroad Train ride, Pirates of the Carribean the Jungle Cruise, The Hall of Presidents, Haunted Mansion, it's a Small World, the Libert Belleferry, Tom Sawyer's Island and shows:Mickey's PhilHarmonic, Country BearJamboree

that's not everything- only my personal favorites

If your parents do not like coasters- stay away from the 3:Splash Mtn, Big Thunder Mtn and Space Mtn.

The Electrical Magic Parade shouldn't be missed if you fit that in!!

Be ready for meet and greets with the Disney Characters, too. And YES- parents and grandparents can be in the pictures;);):wizard:

Thanks to everyone's reply. I really appreciate that!

Just a quick FYI. Regarding the major differences between Disneyland and Magic Kingdom, google keyword "Magic Kingdom vs. Disneyland" and I found a lot of very helpful articles. Thanks again!

Are you going to go to each park or are you trying to narrow down to just one?

Hi Queen2PrincessG, I'm trying to narrow down to just ONE, as I think we will only have ONE DAY inside the WDW (the rest of the 5 days we will be on Disney Dream for cruise)... Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter