Going to Disney Pregnant! Oh, and stroller question...

3girlygirls

Ready to go back to the happiest place on earth!
Ok, so I'll be 13 weeks when we go next month - I'm just wondering what rides can I ride? I know none of the "thrill" rides. I'll be sure to have water with me at all times, any other preggo advice?

Also, my girls are 11,6, and 4. We took our Maclaren Volo strollers last time for the littles. They never ride in strollers now and are really too big. Should I try to take them anyways or just rent one of those double big strollers at the park IF we need it? I'm thinking their daddy may have a sore back if I don't take ours - I have no idea how long it is from bus to our hotel room, etc.

So excited!

5/08 Windsor Hills Resort
5/11 Port Orleans Riverside

We leave for Disney in 11 days and I'm going to be 31 & 32 weeks pregnant while there. Have not yet been while pregnant so I don't have any advice on the rides. I figure I can probably ride whatever my 2 year old can ride and DH can ride everything else with our 4 and 6yo so it should work out. I am worried about the heat though and going in to labour early from all that walking around.

I know our kids (and us so we don't have to carry the older two) will want the stroller, mostly for the walks to and from the entrance to the parks. Especially at the end of the day, we find our stroller really useful.

I went to MNSSHP when I was 8 months pregnant. I was able to ride pretty much everything except the "mountains." I could even ride Pirates. They have special pregnancy signs on the maps, so you can see which rides are safe.

Bring the stroller...At least for your youngest. The rental strollers are ok, but I like bringing my own for a couple reasons. One my son might get tired. and two....very handy for loading stuff on...its a lot easier to push a stroller than carry a backpack for hours on end....

As long as the ride doesnt spin: Tea cups or is too bumpy or fast you should be able to go on almost anything....

I thought about going this summer. I got a free dining pin about a month ago, but I will be SUPER PREGNANT this summer(im due in Sept) so i decided to wait another year!

Have fun and make sure you take breaks if u feel you need them!!!

We went twice during this pregnancy and at least once during prior pregnancies. I just stayed off the coasters and test track because it is bumpy. There is a warning on Kilamajaro Safari, but I went on that. There is one bumpy part, but seriously riding the Disney buses are worse.

Definately take your stroller! Our 4 and 6 yr old fought over who would be in it (with their 2 yr old sister) much of the time. Plus it was handy to carry our stuff. It's a ton of walking! Renting a double stroller is around $30/day if I remember right.

I have been to WDW pg quite a few times..you can ride anything that doesn't have a height requirement (really anything you would take a little baby on is ok)..as far as Kilamanjaro safari..it does have a warning. if you want to ride it ( i did..lol) ask for the front, its not as bumpy. I would say make sure you drink more than enough water (then drink some more..lol) and do take some time to rest and put your feet up.
I would also take the stroller, if anything it will hold your stuff..my 5 yo hasn't used a stroller at home in a few years, but does ride in the stroller occasionally at WDW. Its much easier pushing a stroller then carrying a hot/tired kid to and from the parks!

I know this sounds like overkill but DO NOT RIDE on its a small world. My best friend went when 4 months pregnant. Rode it and it has a REALLY hard bounce down at the beginning. She thought while riding it "Oh, that was a little rough...maybe I shouldn't have ridden that". Then the next day she started having serious bleeding and had to go to he hospital. It actually turned out all ok, but when she got back her midwife said yes that she remember that drop and it was too rough for a pregnant woman and that is prolly what caused it.

Make sure to drink lots and lots of water and rest lots!

And I would take that stroller for the 4 year old. It is a big stroller and the weight requirement is like 65lbs or something, right? I took a 4 year old and it was so nice to use it when he fell asleep and it was just too much walking. I am even considering renting a double stroller from orlando stroller rental for my 6 and 3 year olds this time....

Its a Small World..really? I highly doubt that it caused her to bleed, but what do i know.
You know you body and if you have ever had any problems during Pg, i would just really play it safe..but i have taken an 8 week old on IASW....

Its a Small World..really? I highly doubt that it caused her to bleed, but what do i know.
You know you body and if you have ever had any problems during Pg, i would just really play it safe..but i have taken an 8 week old on IASW....

I know, right? I wouldn't have believed it except the midwife said it. I then went on the ride and it is a rather jarring drop. Now in saying that, I don't know if this would have happened anyways, just later down the road or something to her. But man, it was enough to stop everyone's heart! When I say serious bleeding, I mean SERIOUS.

I'm going in a couple of weeks and I'm really glad to hear about the Kilimanjaro Safaris. I was sad I was going to have to miss that one.
I'll be 15 weeks.

Thanks for all the good scoop! That's crazy about IASW! I was counting on riding that one FOR SURE! Will have to think twice now.

Our strollers are the Maclaren Volo unbrella type strollers - they were the most recommended last time we went so we bought them for that trip and they were so easy to fold up, etc. My girls are 61 lbs and 51 lbs and tall for 4 and 6 year olds! I haven't tried to fit them in the strollers yet since the trip is a surprise and they will think I'm crazy for having them sit in a stroller...I'm not too worried about in the parks but AFTER we leave, waiting on busses, walking around resort, etc. that I'm anticipating major whining. lol! I guess I need to look up weight limits for the stroller!

Re: strollers
I am renting a double from Magic Strollers for my two DS, aged 6.5 and 2.5. We tour the entire parks and I estimate we walk about 10 miles a day on average. My oldest was quite tired for the last trip, and he ended up sitting on the tray of our single stroller! The whole tray is bowed in! :lmao: I definately recommend a double, especially if you plan on hustling, which our family always does.

Re: pregnancy
Definately keep that water bottle close at hand. I would recommend that you have a sip befoe queueing up for attractions and when getting off attractions in order to remember to drink. Fill it up with water from the park fountains (it may be warm, but it's FREE!). Have water in addition to a soft drink (if you have pop) at TS restaurants. When you are sitting a ride out, make sure you use a restroom so that you are emptying your bladder regularly. Wear underwear with a cotton crotch to help prevent UTI's. Also plan to dress in layers and wear comfy, supportive shoes.

I am 20 weeks pregnant right now and will be 22 when we go to WDW. Though we've been several times, I still plan on having my SO ride ahead of me on rides I'm uncertain about, then reporting back about bumpiness/drops/etc. Fortunately, my midwife is also a Disney fanatic, so she's been able to give me some great advice about what to ride!

I know this sounds like overkill but DO NOT RIDE on its a small world. My best friend went when 4 months pregnant. Rode it and it has a REALLY hard bounce down at the beginning. She thought while riding it "Oh, that was a little rough...maybe I shouldn't have ridden that". Then the next day she started having serious bleeding and had to go to he hospital. It actually turned out all ok, but when she got back her midwife said yes that she remember that drop and it was too rough for a pregnant woman and that is prolly what caused it.

Sounds like she had placenta previa. The jarring may have been enough to make her start bleeding, but she bled bc of the condition, not the ride.

Sounds like she had placenta previa. The jarring may have been enough to make her start bleeding, but she bled bc of the condition, not the ride.
That sounds reasonable.
My DD rides in her wheelchair on a ramped boat on Small World. The only ‘restraint’ she has is that the wheelchair brakes are locked. So, the drop is not that large.

You can look at the park maps for the attractions with warnings - they are marked with a red triangle on the map and also on a sign at the entrance to the queue. There may be some others that a guest chooses not to ride, but these are the only ones that WDW has put a warning on.
The wording for the general warning is:
WARNING! For safety, you should be in good health and free from high blood pressure, heart, back or neck problems, motion sickness, or other conditions that could be aggravated by this adventure. Expectant mothers should not ride.

For Epcot here are the attractions with warnings:
  • Mission Space the sign outside the attraction says that pregnant women are advised not the ride both the more tame (green side) and the more wild (orange side)
  • Test Track
For Magic Kingdom:
  • Splash Mountain
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
  • Tomorrowland Indy Speedway
  • Space Mountain
For Disney Studio
  • Star Tours
  • Rock N Roller Coaster
  • Tower of Terror
For Animal Kingdom:
  • Kilimanjaro Safari
  • Kali River Rapids
  • Expedition Everest
  • Primeval Whirl
  • Dinosaur

Soarin' doesn't have any warnings that would affect pregnancy; just heights and possible motion sickness. There are some scents used on the ride (ocean air, oranges, pine) that you may want to be aware of if you are sensitive to smells.

The Safari and Kali River Rapids are listed because you can get unexpected hard bumps and drops during the course of the ride. Some moms late in pregnancy have posted it felt like the baby was using their bladder as a trampoline, so it was not exactly comfortable. Many people suggest that the Safari is less bumpy closer to the front, but it is still bumpy. We sit in the front seat because youngest DD needs to stay in her wheelchair; we still get bounced around a lot. It all depends on which ruts your ride car hits. I have also ridden it without DD, and have found the farther back seats are about the same (unless you are talking about the back 1/3 of the tram). Also, the tram is quite far off the ground; in case of a problem with the tram, you will need to get off of the tram without aid of the boarding area which raises you closer to the level of the seats.

The main drop is the reason for not riding Splash Mountain. The big drop takes you down at a very extreme angle at a high rate of speed (I think you get to 40 mph). At the bottom, your ride car stops abruptly. That sort of combination of fast speed drop at an extreme angle and then abrupt stop can theoretically cause placental abruption - where the placenta actually peels away from the wall of the uterus. That's the main reason for warnings at Splash Mountain.
For rides like Dinosaur, Star Tours, Test Track, Big Thunder Mountain you are not moving that fast, but experience sudden changes of direction that jerk you around a lot.

I stopped riding Pirates as well. The drop is not bad, but at the end of the drop the boat went back and forth between the tracks pretty violently. Even DH was surprised. I may be over paranoid due to our long journey to get here though.

Bottom line is that the only person who can know what your limits are is you! If you feel uncomfortable about going on a ride, then listen to your gut! Chances are you will never regret NOT going on a ride.

Well probably not to be recommended but unbeknown to me I fell pregnant at Disney and my VERY tiny little pregnancy was on Rock n Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, the works!! EEK!! He only came out a little mad! LOL!!

mo x

Well probably not to be recommended but unbeknown to me I fell pregnant at Disney and my VERY tiny little pregnancy was on Rock n Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, the works!! EEK!! He only came out a little mad! LOL!!

mo x

I did this in August! I thought I was tired because my family was visiting and I would literally drive right from school to Disney and stay with them until 11 or so and then do it all again the next day. I rode everything! We're about to see how mad he is when he comes out next week!

I did this in August! I thought I was tired because my family was visiting and I would literally drive right from school to Disney and stay with them until 11 or so and then do it all again the next day. I rode everything! We're about to see how mad he is when he comes out next week!

Yeay not just me then!! Congrats!!! :banana: Good luck with the birth! I didn't realise I was tired, no more than normal when running about in the Florida heat! LOL!

mo x

Ok now I'm wondering if renting the citi mini double would be better than our 2 Maclarens? Together they weigh right at 100. Maybe even a tad more! What do y'all think? 2 Maclarens Volos or 1 Citi double?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter