Going to Aulani -- Let's list places to eat

We were at Aulani 2/28 - 3/7. The week prior we were in a house on the windward side at Hauula. While in Hauula we ate twice a Papa Ole's.. we truly enjoyed it. It's in the shopping center in Hauula with the Long's Drug. It's a real local Mom and Pop. The Teriyaki chicken was a favorite with my DIL, son and DH. I had the garlic shrimp and it was GREAT .. drippy butter great .. I liked it better than Giovanni's. Prior to checking into Aulani we went to Just Tacos.. My family wasn't impressed. I'm not big into Mexican food anyway - but the ones who love it said the red sauce reminded them of Taco Bell .. I know everyone has different tastes - but this didn't get onto our "go back" list. We did not eat out a LOT during out two weeks .. mostly due to having kitchens readily available... Did try Leonard's Malasada's .. just ok .. I was prepared to LOVE them. Did the dinner buffet at Aulani .. the food was quite good and the service was terrific. I have a sensitivity to Balsamic Vinegar and Mango .. One of the chefs walked me through and pointed out what to avoid! I was grateful for that.. My son loved the shrimp down at the little food place by the pool .. he got it quite often.. laugh.. For our "obligatory" luau we went to Paradise Cove - I had Entertainment Book coupons.. The pre dinner stuff and show were great - the food was "meh" .. nothing to write home about .. not TERRIBLE - just not wonderful. The experience was more what we were going for, and that was worth it! Other than that ... Shakey's Pizza (more for nostalgia than anything ..) We had gone to the Swap Meet at Aloha Stadium and passed Shakey's on the way. We decided to stop there for a late lunch/early supper (LUPPER) .. The pizza wasn't like I remembered - but it was pretty good! And Outback .. It was my older son's birthday and he stuck with "tradition" of Outback. It was as expected .. decent food - great service. The one thing we got addicted to was POG .. laugh .. went through gallons of it! When we got home, my DIL played with the ingredients .. basically water down some orange juice .. then equal parts watered down OJ, Passion Fruit and Guava .. We've been drinking it at home ever since!
Off topic, but where did you stay in Hauula? We booked 4 nights there after Aulani.

Off topic, but where did you stay in Hauula? We booked 4 nights there after Aulani.

In a house right on the beach .. Hale Moana Mele .. did it through VRBO .. and we LOVED it! Was a very good fit for my family of 5 adults! Would be good for kids too I think! NICE family place.

We were at Aulani 2/28 - 3/7. The week prior we were in a house on the windward side at Hauula.

While in Hauula we ate twice a Papa Ole's.. we truly enjoyed it. It's in the shopping center in Hauula with the Long's Drug. It's a real local Mom and Pop. The Teriyaki chicken was a favorite with my DIL, son and DH. I had the garlic shrimp and it was GREAT .. drippy butter great .. I liked it better than Giovanni's.

Prior to checking into Aulani we went to Just Tacos.. My family wasn't impressed. I'm not big into Mexican food anyway - but the ones who love it said the red sauce reminded them of Taco Bell .. I know everyone has different tastes - but this didn't get onto our "go back" list.

We did not eat out a LOT during out two weeks .. mostly due to having kitchens readily available...

Did try Leonard's Malasada's .. just ok .. I was prepared to LOVE them.

Did the dinner buffet at Aulani .. the food was quite good and the service was terrific. I have a sensitivity to Balsamic Vinegar and Mango .. One of the chefs walked me through and pointed out what to avoid! I was grateful for that..

My son loved the shrimp down at the little food place by the pool .. he got it quite often.. laugh..

For our "obligatory" luau we went to Paradise Cove - I had Entertainment Book coupons.. The pre dinner stuff and show were great - the food was "meh" .. nothing to write home about .. not TERRIBLE - just not wonderful. The experience was more what we were going for, and that was worth it!

Other than that ...

Shakey's Pizza (more for nostalgia than anything ..) We had gone to the Swap Meet at Aloha Stadium and passed Shakey's on the way. We decided to stop there for a late lunch/early supper (LUPPER) .. The pizza wasn't like I remembered - but it was pretty good!

And Outback .. It was my older son's birthday and he stuck with "tradition" of Outback. It was as expected .. decent food - great service.

The one thing we got addicted to was POG .. laugh .. went through gallons of it! When we got home, my DIL played with the ingredients .. basically water down some orange juice .. then equal parts watered down OJ, Passion Fruit and Guava .. We've been drinking it at home ever since!

Was it worth getting the entertainment book for paradise cove? What was the deal?

Thank you!

Was it worth getting the entertainment book for paradise cove? What was the deal? Thank you!

The books are only $15 right now. Just ordered mine a couple of days ago. Just the coupon for the Polynesian Cultural Center is worth it. Buy one get one...$45 savings. Not sure if the Paradise Cove has a coupon. I just checked my online deals and it only shows Germaine's Luau.

Was it worth getting the entertainment book for paradise cove? What was the deal?

Thank you!

It was defiinately for whatever luau we decided to go with.. In fact we purchased 2 because both coupons for either Paradise Cove or Germaine's were for a party of 4 only. We decided on Paradise Cove - they allowed me to use the two coupons .. We also went with the most expensive package - which was nice because we had a choice of right down front - or the raised seats towards the back (which we chose ... we ended up with our own table. There were 5 in our party..

To be honest I don't remember if we used the book for much else .. I left them in the room at Aulani - hoping the mousekeepers could use them / keep them.

It was defiinately for whatever luau we decided to go with.. In fact we purchased 2 because both coupons for either Paradise Cove or Germaine's were for a party of 4 only. We decided on Paradise Cove - they allowed me to use the two coupons .. We also went with the most expensive package - which was nice because we had a choice of right down front - or the raised seats towards the back (which we chose ... we ended up with our own table. There were 5 in our party..

To be honest I don't remember if we used the book for much else .. I left them in the room at Aulani - hoping the mousekeepers could use them / keep them.

Thank you!

Is the deluxe package worth the extra money??

Thank you!

Laugh.. probably not .. Food's the same .. but they bring it to you instead of buffet .. for us it was nice because we had our own table - but they don't guarantee it .. and we were out of the crowd being on the raised seating. We were further back, but still had a great view.

You got extra drinks too if that's a factor (not so much for us.. laugh).. I looked at it as if we were paying for the lowest tier, but with the coupon got the deluxe package. We were treated "special" which I was NOT expecting... a girl walked us through, showed us to our table and explained everything.. not cattle call.. (tho' maybe everyone was like that? not sure) ..

Overall it was a fun evening .. The other thing that sort of surprised me (it shouldn't have) was the craft demonstrations and games seemed like tips were expected. Thankfully I had a bunch of singles.

They also have a gift shop and a little table that you can pay to make Kukui nut leis, bracelets and KEY CHAINS.... it may not seem like a big deal BUT prior to our going a coworker of my son and husband asked them to pick up a kukui nut key chain. Over the two weeks we were there we looked in every gift shop we were in .. including the swap meet and they were NOT to be found.. I was thinking about dismantling one of the leis we had and making one.. well lo and behold at the Paradise Cove gift shop I was able to make one.. hahaha.. was under 5.00 if I remember correctly. We were joking that we should move to Hawaii and start a kukui nut key chain business since they are not to be found anywhere!!

Thanks! I want to book in advance and use a gift card so probably can't use the discount too. Or do you just call in the discount code and show the coupon when you arrive??

Thanks! I want to book in advance and use a gift card so probably can't use the discount too. Or do you just call in the discount code and show the coupon when you arrive??

I was able to just bring the coupon.. I'd give them a call - they were VERY nice and helpful .. and it seemed they dealt with the coupons all the time. Now that I'm thinking about it they may not have even charged my card until we got there to will call .. ( I may be wrong on that tho'). Whatever it was I was impressed with their process .. laugh.. it was very smooth..

I admit that I've only skimmed this thread here & there and didn't see this place mentioned - I was wondering if anybody has tried the Cattle Company Steakhouse in Pearl City (not tooooo far from Pearl Harbor I don't think)? I have an opportunity to buy a gift card thru my sons swim team scrip card orders and just wondered if it was worth going out of the way for?? :confused3
TIA

There is a Chilies in kapolei. Across from Disney is a great sushi place. Highly recommend. Also at marriott next door there is Azul. Excellent food. Someone mentioned Assagios. Have been to one in kapolei and one in Honolulu. Always liked the good. Good wine list. Don't give coke refills which drives my husband crazy!

I admit that I've only skimmed this thread here & there and didn't see this place mentioned - I was wondering if anybody has tried the Cattle Company Steakhouse in Pearl City (not tooooo far from Pearl Harbor I don't think)? I have an opportunity to buy a gift card thru my sons swim team scrip card orders and just wondered if it was worth going out of the way for?? :confused3
TIA

we like this restaurant...but then again it is 5 minutes from where we live. it is kinda of like any other steakhouse...it's not too fancy but their food is ok. hope this helps a little.

we like this restaurant...but then again it is 5 minutes from where we live. it is kinda of like any other steakhouse...it's not too fancy but their food is ok. hope this helps a little.

Thanks - after looking over the menu I sort of figured it would be just like any other steakhouse - except I was wondering if the beef might be better?! Anyway, I passed on ordering it because we were thinking of going into Waikiki after our Pearl Harbor tour to go to the Hard Rock Cafe (my DS collects their t-shirts so I ordered Hard Rock gift cards instead). I decided we probably wouldn't want to make another trip to that area of the island.

Just make sure the cattle company gift card can be used in Hawaii. We've found a few mainland gift cards not accepted here on Oahu.

This particular Cattle Company card said it was specifically ONLY for Hawaii and Alaska. That's why it caught my eye. Curious which gift cards from the mainland that you have you found that aren't good on Oahu??:confused3 I have started a stash of Roy's (Outback) cards but those are the only ones I have been collecting besides the 2 Hard Rock ones I just ordered. I am curious to see if the Hard Rock t-shirts are specific to Honolulu and Maui or if they're just generically "Hawaii". If they are specific then we'll probably hit the one on Maui too when we get there. The other thing my DS likes to do when we go to a Hard Rock is to always try their "local ledgendary burger". That is just "his thing" to do. The local burger in Orlando was about 5" tall and must've been about 2500 calories but he got her down even tho he looked like a deer tick that was about to explode when he finished. :rotfl:

I was able to use both Roy's and Outback gift cards with no issues at Roy's.

We did go to Hard Rock Café and DH purchased a Hawaiian style shirt from there that says Hard Rock Café Honolulu. I want to say the tshirts may also say Honolulu or Oahu on them. I know the Harley Davidson tshirts say Waikiki Beach on them because we bought one for my BIL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter