"Going it alone" at Disneyland

Artoo

DIS Veteran
How many of you have ever gone by yourselves to Disneyland? Did you feel strange? Did you like it better without a travel partner/group?
DH and I got annual passports, but since we work on weekdays, the only time we can really get to DLR is Saturday and Sunday. I'd like to go this weekend (if my head cold gets any better), but would be going by myself, since DH will be working overtime this weekend.
Just want to hear your thoughts!

I'm interested to hear a response also..I'm planning on going by myself in feb. before my pass expires because I won't be renewing :( sad..i know..but i wanted to go one last time..I think it would be fun because you can go at your own pace..but you then there isn't the fun of going with someone else and enjoying it together!!

I went to Disneyland by myself in August, 1985. I was in LA for a wedding and I had extra vacation days so I spent one at DL, another at Universal, etc. I remember it being really hot outside and pretty crowded, but that I had fun anyway. Afterall, it's still Disney!

I have never gone entirely by myself, but the few times I've been to the parks with DB's family (he was not there), I've split off from the group for an hour or two to do my own thing. The first time, I was able to wander around with my camera and take pictures of whatever struck my fancy, without worrying about slowing everyone else down! ;) The second time, I caught the fireworks & Fantasmic by myself. For those, it was much easier to get good spots at the last minute just being alone!

So there are benefits :) You can browse gift shops as long as you want, for example. Use the "single rider" line for the rides that allow it! All sorts of stuff.

I love going with DB, but I didn't complain one bit about being on my own for awhile.

I have never been alone - my kids are my tag alongs.... :)
BUT I would love to .... someday... hopefully

Much like Romymichelle21's experience, I have never had a complete and total solo trip to DLR - YET - though I have taken other trips by myself, for a weekend, for a full week, whatever. I've done it. But on this last December 2008 trip to DLR, my friend had to go home one night rather than stay at the PPH with me and I had a few golden hours to roam DLR at night by myself, and then also, the next morning I had a few hours alone before my friend came to pick me up. I also used this time to stroll leisurely and take pictures of all sorts of things, look in a couple of shops I hadn't been able to look in earlier, when my friends were around, and grab a bite to eat at Taste Pilots Grill, which I hadn't been able to do with friends. You know, I plan to eventually make an all-solo trip to DLR. I think I would feel a little weird and lonely if I were alone for a whole weekend or a few days at DLR, but I think I could easily do a full day trip by myself, from early morning to late evening. As fun as it is to spend time with other people at DLR, the bottom line is that sometimes you just can't do everything you might be interested in if you have other people with you. So you would be surprised how satisfying those few golden hours alone can be, once you get into a groove and start accomplishing things without worrying about holding anyone else up or having to do what anyone else wants to do! I kind of think I would prefer riding the rides with friends, but I could easily find things to pack into a full day at DLR by myself that have nothing to do with rides!

I go alone pretty often. I enjoy it. I do what I want to do when I want to do it. Take pics whenever I feel like it. Love using the single rider line. And I can eat my churro without having to share with anyone else. I do enjoy going with others, but its really nice to be able to go alone sometimes. I talk to people in line and cast members and that is always interesting. And I love browsing through the shops without DD telling me to hurry. I say go for it and have a great time.

Can't remember if it was in this board or the WDW one, but there was a similar thread. A lot of people do go solo at DLR. I've never done so, as I live out of state and would rarely be in CA alone. If I ever do business down there alone, I may give it a shot, but I probably wouldn't go solo without an AP. For me, it would be just random weekend visits and such.

I've always feared going alone, because I really like the experience of riding with friends and family. But a lot of people say its relaxing and a lot of fun.

As a local, I go to DL about once a month. About half of my trips are solo trips. I love going solo! But I also enjoy going with others. There are benefits to both kinds of experiences. But no one will think of you differently as a solo guest.

That being said, a solo trip is not for everyone. Someone's personality just might not mesh with a solo experience. So, I don't want to pressure anyone into going solo. Just know that lots of people have done it and had fun. After all, it's the Happiest Place on Earth, right? :)

If anyone is looking for advice about going solo, or even read up on some solo trip reports, check out the "Adults and Solo Travelers" forum here on the DIS. You'll see lots of posts, questions and answers from those who are thinking about going solo and from those who have gone solo. Although many of the posts there are specific to WDW, the general concept of the questions and posts can apply to DLR too.

I go solo pretty often these days and I think its fun. Eating can be odd, since I always do TS, but the CM's are so nice I have never had an issue. And it seems that some one at a nearby table always decided to chat me up and that is always fun, I have chatted with some really nice people this way.

I like that I can take lots of pictures, take my time or race when I want to and using the single rider as a real single rider is easier since you don't have to worry about anyone but yourself.

I was worried my first time, but had a great time so have made more and more solo trips. I hope to go soon for another.

I personally do not have a problem whatsoever in visiting Dl. by myself. I know that some people are really very uncomfortable in doing so. In which case, it may be better for a person in that situation,to not be by themselves.
Otherwise, I believe that you will enjoy your time very much. Give it a try, then see how you it agrees with you. I hope that it will. :)

It's actually quite nice. I thought I would feel awkward and I did for a bit but it's SO awesome!:cool1:

YOU get to decided what to do/see. YOU decided where to eat. YOU decided when to rest and YOU decide when to leave :thumbsup2

It's also really cool because you get to do single rider line or sometimes the ride attendants ask for a party of 1.

Go for it!

I go alone quite a bit. Love it.

- Go at my pace.
- Take pictures when and where I want.
- Eat where I want.
- Stop and watch magic at the magic shop without worrying about others being bored.
- Listen to live music at various places throughout the park (for as long as I like).
- Talk with CMs and learn all sorts of fun things.
The list just goes on and on. And since I enjoy DL more than DH, my little solo getaways keep me Disney fulfilled without him getting burned out.

Enjoy!

I've been to MK once alone and DL once alone as well and personally, I prefer being there with others. This is especially true when in queues. Standing in line is when I tend to get chatty. I have from time to time sparked up a conversation with someone in line that I didn't know but it is usually nicer to have someone I'm familiar with to talk to.

I also prefer a more leisurely pace when in DL and when I was there by myself, I seemed to be rushing more then I would with my family. I went from ride to ride to ride like a machine (Partially because these were both day trips and I was trying to get in as many rides as possible on such short visits) It's easier for me to stop and enjoy the scenery when my DS stops for a snack or to say hi to a passing character. I'm also looking for things to point out to him that are cool and he's pointing out things to me as well. :)

I've done it alone, its really nice to do what you want when you want, you don't have to worry about anyone else's favorite rides its really relaxing to just go it alone.

I was going to go back and edit my original but I see DisneyDreams already mentioned it, I find when I go alone I tend to have the most interesting chats with CM's. Sure I have done it with others, but sometimes being alone has lead me to some great chats!

So, what is the single rider line?
I will be doing a few solo trips during the week days to drop off payments for our wedding and you know that I will be right there, so how could I just jump in my car and turn around with out going into the park?;)
I suppose I could do fast passes too.
Oh, this is really cool. I didnt know this but the other week when it was the first day of AP's being unblocked, we went to DL. The parking structure was full.
So they had us go park at DTD parking. The first 3 hours were free and with validation, the next 2 hours were free. so, if you have an AP with no parking paid on it, but are going to go for 5 or less hours, you can park at DTD parking and with the Validation, its free.
How cool is that?

My teenage DD and friends only meet up with me for lunch, so I have plenty of time to spend alone at Disneyland. I have met the most interesting cms and guests because I talk to everyone (including the male friend of a celebrity who was pushed aside when a group of girls rushed his date for pictures and autographs).

So, what is the single rider line?

Some of the rides (I'm rememberin' Screamin and TSMM) have a single rider line you can get it and if they need to fill a spot (i.e., there's a party of three on TSMM) they fill from the single rider line. It can be less time than the regular stand-by line. It can also be longer--I've heard it both ways. You really need to judge for yourself when you see how long it is compared to the regular line. And I do know that at least on TSMM it's not always available. But it's worth checking out.

Maybe others can chime in on what other rides have single rider.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter