Going in May...have heard mixed reviews?

All of the feedback I’ve gotten about going in May hasn’t been very good. I refuse to go in June, July or August. I’ve done it before; way way too hot and crowded. Our tickets that we bought this year but didn’t get to use expire in August.

I’d rather not go in March or April. So May was my choice. But people are saying it’s insanely hot and really bad love bug issues. I’ve been at the end of April/beginning of May and it wasn’t that bad.

Thoughts?

We’ve done April. We’ve done may. We’ve done June/July and we’ve done august. Honestly, if you’ve done summer months - it’s not going to seem THAT different temp wise. It’s not AS hot - but yes it’s still warm. We’ve never encountered any issues with love bugs either and have probably heard some of the same horror stories as you. If May is when you can go, go and enjoy! And this is coming from someone who makes the choice to go in the August heat :)

In terms of weather - I like May. It's not as hot June, July, and August, though you can have hot days (upper 80's/low 90's). I don't think the humidity is as bad in May and I think you have a decent change of have multiple days in the low/mid 80's. And depending WHEN you go - it may drop into the 70's, especially in the morning or after sunset. I'd pick May over June/July/August in terms of weather for sure! Love bugs, once you get over the initial shock of them if they are new to you, are tolerable. They aren't really in the parks, just around the resorts. Disney does "some" treating of them - but a few still might sneak into your resort room on occasion. May is one of my favorite months at Disney because I like to be in shorts/T-shirt all day and not worrying about getting cold; and it's great for visiting the pool (when March can be a little cool for my preferred weather for pool time).

We've been there in almost every month of the year and they all have their pros and cons. May could have cooler days and it could be scorching hot. "Insanely" hot also depends on perspective. May is typically not as hot as August. You're not going to have the same crowds as Summer though. I agree that if May is the month you can go, then go then and don't worry about the negatives. You can find a negative with any time you'd go.

Compared to the summer months, May is not bad at all. Weather is still pretty decent in terms of rain and humidity. Never had an issue with love bugs either when we went in May. My favorite time is going in late April for sure. Perfect weather all around.

All of the feedback I’ve gotten about going in May hasn’t been very good. I refuse to go in June, July or August. I’ve done it before; way way too hot and crowded. Our tickets that we bought this year but didn’t get to use expire in August.

I’d rather not go in March or April. So May was my choice. But people are saying it’s insanely hot and really bad love bug issues. I’ve been at the end of April/beginning of May and it wasn’t that bad.

Thoughts?
If you have a choice and weathers a big concern; I'd go 1st week of May.

I've been in early May, it was hot but the humidity hadn't yet caught up to the heat. So while not dry, the dew points were manageable....if that makes any sense.

Before moving to FL we visited the parks just about every month of the year. Can't say that any were worse than others. Just different.

Before moving to FL we visited the parks just about every month of the year. Can't say that any were worse than others. Just different.
We had the exact experience..
In the summer or at school breaks the parks are open late, so we would take a break mid day have some lunch etc.
We love all the months for different reasons...
Spring has nice weather but we have delt with rain..
Summer days are hot but the nights are amazing fun.
Fall is still hot and can bring Hurricanes but we absolutely love MNSSHP
Winter is a very busy season with lots of people in the parks Christmas decorations are nice and the Christmas party is fun.

Last edited:
I've been almost every month and beginning of May would certainly be your best bet weather wise.

I didn't notice an inordinate amount of any kind of bug.

Go and enjoy!

We've been there in almost every month of the year and they all have their pros and cons. May could have cooler days and it could be scorching hot. "Insanely" hot also depends on perspective. May is typically not as hot as August. You're not going to have the same crowds as Summer though. I agree that if May is the month you can go, then go then and don't worry about the negatives. You can find a negative with any time you'd go.
These last two sentences are spot on.

We've been early to mid-may and also at the end of May. The early to mid-may was better weather wise. Our end of May trip ended up being "unusually hot" for that time of year. It was mid to high 90's for most of our trip. Early to mid-May would be my recommendation. We actually have a trip planned for that time frame in 2021, so I guess we will see!

The crowds were pretty tolerable in May regardless of when we went. In our experience, early May was better than the end of May. But who knows what it will look like in 2021. :confused3

Happy planning!

We have been the first two weeks in May many times. It is one of my favorite times to go. I have a trip scheduled in April but I am looking at my calendar now to see if I can do a long weekend in May. Yes you might see love bugs and it might get over 90 a few days but go with those expectations so you won't be disappointed when it happens. My experiences has been no temperatures over 92 and very few love bugs.

I loved going in May. I went from 1st weekend to second weekend (Mother's Day) and crowds were great as was weather. Love bugs were there but I grew up in Louisiana so they dont bother me and they weren't bad anyway. Take the May trip

We have plans to go in early May...hoping that things will be back close to normal...if not, will try again early December.

If you're going in May, go as early in the month as possible. The longer the wait, the hotter it gets. Fall is best (Oct/Nov/Dec/Jan)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter