• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Going in alone 9/26-30th

4EverFigment

I-M-A-G-I-N-A-T-I-O-N
Hello all, this will be my first solo Disney adventure. I need a re-set. I've had a terrible, horrible, awful, very-bad-no-good last nine months and it seems like running away for a weekend may be a great treatment. I'll fly down on Friday and back on Monday, so literally only doing two days at "home." I'm thinking Saturday, HS for RnR & TSM, perhaps Muppets & Indy, then E/WS for the F & W and IlluniNations; Sunday will be rope drop to MNSSHP close.

I haven't seen MNSSHP or those special characters (Jack & Sally, Maleficient are my top picks) so that will be a lot of fun.

I am a DVC owner and have more trips than I can count, so I can high-grade the attractions I care about and simply enjoy being in the parks.

I figure I'll do one special meal. Trying to decide if that should be a character breakfast to see Eeyore, or if it should be fireworks viewing at Epcot.

Anyone with suggestions, advice on solo Disney'ing, experience with F & W and MNSSHP?

Anyone going to be there that weekend?

You will love MNSSHP and F&W! Those are 2 of my most favorite WDW events. I also just took my first solo trip there last month.

Unless money isn't a factor for you, I would check out the F&W menu's ahead of time and try to plan out what looks good and how much you want to spend. They will be posted around the time the festival begins. The DIS usually has pics of every single food item, prices and reviews. Doing that helped a lot. That way you don't try something you are kind of interested in, not like it, and then realize a few kiosks later that you missed out on something you would have loved to try, but you don't want to spent more $ at that point. It can get pricey very quick, especially if you try the beer and wine selections.

The character lines for MNSSHP can be crazy long. Just something to keep in mind. Obviously if that is super important to you then by all means go for it! The parade is an absolute must. I think they do the parade twice, so that's nice. It's a truly awesome parade. And the fireworks rock too. When I did it (it was early September) it was a very light crowd and we were able to do lots of rides. And the trick or treating is a lot of fun too! Oh and dress up! I didn't but wished I had!

Solo Disney is so much fun! You will have a blast. If you have any specific questions in that regard, feel free to ask! :)

So wonderful you're able to get away for a re-set! Doing that myself, but earlier in the month.

In your shoes, I would make the "special meal" be unlimited F&W selections. As a frequent visitor, you probably already know how quickly those "snacks" and drinks can add up. That's where my splurge money would go, if F&W were during my solo trip! If that doesn't fit the vibe you're going for, I would do breakfast with Eeyore over a meal/IllumiNations viewing - I'd focus my E/WS eating on F&W kiosks.

4Ever, I will be there that weekend as well. This is my second solo trip (I stayed a few days in May after a business trip), but my first for F&W as well as MNSSHP!

I brought my Kindle with me to meals in case I felt 'conspicuous', but I really didn't use it. It was more fun to people watch. I was really hesitant about being by myself, but it was fantastic to do what I wanted, eat what I wanted and go at my own pace.

Have fun!!!!

Update: made my lodgings plans, bought my plane tickets and my MNSSHP ticket today. Decided to make it a longer trip too, down on Friday back on Wednesday. Four days "home" in the parks.

Now I'll plan a costume/outfit for the party. My mom has always said I'd make a great Alice, so am thinking about that. Or Rapunzel. I can do that without a wig.

I am an annual F&W/MNSSHP/Solo traveler (although I am missing this year-boo! but just booked my trip for next year! yay!) If you are an Eeyore fan-the Crystal Palace has a fabulous breakfast for that special meal. I also really like Coral Reef, though the food can be hit or miss. . As a solo, Coral Reef is great as there is so much to look at. I get the dining plan as I love the Disney restaurants so I have a sit down meal every day solo. Never received anything less than star treatment from the staff-they go out of your way if you are solo to make sure you enjoy your experience. If you have a favorite restaurant-book it! Also, being solo does not mean walk up reservations are available-go in with reservations or you may be disappointed. Advice for MNSSHP-check the websites for a list of all the special treats and where they are so you have a plan before you go. Kenny the Pirate is great for character recommendations. If you want Jack & Sally-get in line before the party starts-yes, you will wait in line a long time, but the line stays long all night so it is better to wait before the party than after. For the castle show-solos can usually make their way to the front a little easier than groups. Same for the Parade and do not miss the parade-it is the best. F&W-get passport and try to decide ahead of time what you want to decide-there will always be a list of the best and worst items on the websites...Check out the Eat to the Beat concerts-they are usually fun. Have a great trip!

I will be there solo from Mon. the 29th thru Sat the 3rd. Staying at ASSp Monday night since I won't be there until around 2 or 3 and don't want to spend a lot for that night then moving over to YC for the rest of the trip. This is my 2nd F&W solo and I'm really looking forward to it, not doing MNSSHP since my focus is on F&W. I have a wine deminar booked for Tues and well as afternoon tea at the GF, then food and wine pairing on Wen. at Spice Roads, Thurs is a Food deminar and a wine deminar, same on Friday. I'm really focusing on the F&W while I have made FP for each of the parks for the mornings. I plan on going to the deminars then just sampling the booths and maybe spending time doing a little resort hopping. No ADRs except for tea since I know I will get plenty to eat between the booths and the deminars.

I will be at WDW at the end of September as well...2nd visit to F&W. As my trip gets closer I find lots of really great info comes off the regular WDW visitors who use Twitter...they show and highlight all the F&W menus with photos and the new merchandise too...by the time I arrive I know what soveneirs I'm looking out for and where theyre going to fit in my kitchen..and what changes have been made since my last visit...like no hat at HS

I will be at WDW at the end of September as well...2nd visit to F&W. As my trip gets closer I find lots of really great info comes off the regular WDW visitors who use Twitter...they show and highlight all the F&W menus with photos and the new merchandise too...by the time I arrive I know what soveneirs I'm looking out for and where theyre going to fit in my kitchen..and what changes have been made since my last visit...like no hat at HS

What do you mean "no hat at HS"? This is new....is Yensid's hat gone?? Hmmm.

Everyone is really offering some great tips, thank you. I'm twenty days out and so excited. Having this happy trip to look forward to has changed everything right now for the better. I knew I needed the re-set and it's already working to help!

I like the Twitter idea. I'll start searching hashtags.

I started second guessing my daily plans on Thursday and thought about shifting my days around, actually went so far as to start cancelling Monday FP's and then I realized why I'd done that in the first place. Of course I'm going to be just exhausted from MNSSHP the night before, so going to a low impact (for me) park the following day when I can miss rope drop and not feel like I've lost the best part of things, is why I made the plans that I did! I'm so silly. Lucky for me it's still a low volume enough day that I got my same FP's back and even improved the time of one of them.

My family is getting a bit tired of the endless Disney talk because they're not coming, of course, so they're not at all interested in the minutia like I am. They're not jealous (they've both been more than I have, actually, because my mom takes my son on special trips all the time).

I'm not going to dress up for the party. It's simply more than I can do. Possibly, if I had planned this out a few months in advance, I could do a Halloween costume too, but not on such short notice. But that's okay.

If you do Twitter I find ' inside the magic ' good to follow and disneyfoodblog....regarding the other I meant the big blue hat at Hollywood Studios...I never liked that...now you can see the theatre.
You'll have a great time solo...and I bet you'll get the bug and be back for longer...I've booked ten days this next trip...I just see WDW as a holiday resort destination like any other... but just the size of San Francisco..with lots to do...and coming from the U.k sun and pool time is still important

The big blue hat, for many years, has been the 'icon' for HS. Like the castle for MK, the tree for AK, and Spaceship Earth for Epcot. I refer to it as Yensid's as that's the name of the wizard in Mickey's Fantasia segment that made him the Sorcerer's Apprentice; I don't know if anyone else would call it that.

My mom has started making her solo trips longer and longer too. It may have been two years ago, she went to Florida for nearly a month and spent almost all of that based out of Disney properties and her other time share, using DVC points and exchanges. So she had the flower & garden festival full on experience.

When my son is launched I'll hopefully be able to do more solo trips (he's sixteen). I cannot imagine not including Disney in my life as a main vacation destination!

I'm back on having a costume for MNSSHP. Was able to find a skirt & shirt combo that works for my Alice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter