Going in a day early-more reasons, inspired by lsteadman

CRB#33

<font color=red>Completing His Good Work!<br><font
We travelled from Philly to Orlando with 7 bags.

FOUR of them did not make it onto the plane. FOUR! One of my bags was picked for TSA screening (you can tell by the blackened in number on your baggage claim tickets), and this evidently held up some of the others.

I was a mess in Orlando. We were told that 9 times out of 10, the bags come in on the next flight. They took the name of our hotel (Ron Jons), and told us they would deliver them that evening if they came in.

Fortunately they did, but they were not delivered until 7:45 p.m. We would have been well out in to the Atlantic one day later.

I've absolutely had it with Philly International.

We are flying out of Philly for our cruise on Halloween. We also will be flying out a day ahead to play it safe. May I ask what airline are you flying? We are planning on using AirTran.

We used USAir, but I have to tell you, it's across the board in Philly. The workers there that load the baggage and the TSA workers are some of the worst.

The people in Orlando said it happens constantly with Philadelphia.

Caused a few hours of major stress, but it worked out.

Another reason, which has nothing to do with missed flights and missed cruises.....

Gives your kids a day to soak in a big pool - whether you stay at the Radisson or Ron Jon's or stay for a day at VB or a WDW hotel.

Travel light and get there a day early - good motto!!!

Michael's bag was on a different plane than ours when we travelled in Europe last month - we have NO idea where it went but eventually it was returned to us, in tact!

Rae

Not a cruise trip but....

We were to fly out of Albany NY, one December. We did not have a snowstorm, but they did in Baltimore.

We were flying Southwest, hub in Baltimore.

We had a plane, but no crew. Then we had a crew but no pilot.

Our 7 am flight left at 2 and we were heavy, so bags were bumped.

Our bags did not arrive at the Wilderness Lodge until 11;30 pm.

We fly down the day before the cruise. I would be a nervous wreck if we flew down the same day as the cruise. :hyper:

We changed our morning of the cruise flight, to the day before our cruise last year after reading the many tips on this board. I am so glad we did that, made for a less stressful beginning to our trip. Plus, with staying at the Radisson the night before, we got to meet some fellow DIS'ers!!!

It was very nice meeting you and your family last year. A very pleasant surprise. Your tee shirts made it possible.

verandahman does rock, doesn't he?!

Don't think I'd ever cruise again without being there at least a day early to meet and greet (rest and relax, huh~!) with other DISers.

Rae

I think VM said it best when he said: I am so glad we did that, made for a less stressful beginning to our trip. I would have to totally agree.

You can never predict what is going to happen....missed luggage (sorry this happened to you CRB), mechanical trouble (I had a friend once who was stuck at an airport in Denver for over 8 hours in the middle of the summer because of this), or weather. Having some extra time (an entire evening) is such a good thing in the long run. Peace of mind. I hate being stressed out and that is definitely no way to start a vacation!

In three cruises I've only met one DIS friend onboard. I am so excited for this next cruise because we have such a fun group going together! Can't wait to meet everyone! :wave2:

Just a quick note, I don't fly out of Philly, I use Spirit Air outf Atlantic City, of course it is closer for me, but other than some weather or technical delays I have never had a problem... parking is relatively inexpensive too!

Also on the note of the airlines losing your luggage....always pack some clothes for everyone in EACH bag you take that way if a few of your bags get delayed you do still have clothes to wear until they catch up with you. We always pack at least 3 days clothing for everyone in each bag that way the chances of finally getting our luggage even on a cruise on the 3rd day is pretty good and we have clothes to wear until we do. We "have" to fly in a day early to the E. Coast coming from Utah and I'm so glad that we do.... I can't imagine the stress of flying in the same day no matter where I lived or how close of a flight it was.

Heidi

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter