Going Deluxe - am I crazy?

why would anyone pay for a room instead of renting points for a DVC? I will stay at Poly eventually, but use points, and it is WAY cheaper than 600+ a night.

Honestly because that sounds like a huge pain. Having never done it and not knowing really anything about DVC I wouldn't have any clue how many points I'd need to rent, who to rent from, how to do it, if I'm getting a good deal or not, or how to protect my trip in the event that I need to cancel. I'm sure someone could explain but reserving a room directly with whatever deal Disney has going on is easier and more secure.

Is it really $600+ a night just for the room? or does that include your dining or ticket cost too as in the whole vacation package deal? Back when we paid cash for deluxe rooms I'd sometimes get them for about $240-250 a night, granted that was prior to 2012.

Just the room (depending on time of year too, I'm paying less per night in Sept). You answered your own question though, rates have gone up significantly in the past 8 years :)

why would anyone pay for a room instead of renting points for a DVC? I will stay at Poly eventually, but use points, and it is WAY cheaper than 600+ a night.

Because theres a lot of risk involved renting points. I was looking into doing it, but decided not to. I don't want to pay for it all upfront once the reservation is made, and not being able to cancel , especially during these times, is a deal breaker. I'll gladly pay more for the flexibility

Too much risk. I've looked into it extensively, but I don't ever book anything nonrefundable or at least not changeable (like airfare) for vacations, as a rule. We're on the west coast, and the distance makes me even more certain I don't want to take the risk.

Is it really $600+ a night just for the room? or does that include your dining or ticket cost too as in the whole vacation package deal? Back when we paid cash for deluxe rooms I'd sometimes get them for about $240-250 a night, granted that was prior to 2012. I have to say I do really enjoy deluxe compared to the value resorts. Moderates are also good, some are quite nice. If you want to splurge then Deluxe is the way to go. As previous posters mentioned, renting DVC points is an option for saving money on deluxe room costs.

We got YC garden view for a little less than $340/night last July. It's one of the reasons we like going in the summer despite the weather - the room discounts bring the prices down a lot. I'm a teacher, so other less expensive times aren't options for us. That said, even with the summer discount, the monorail resorts seem to be regularly $500+ for a standard room. Good thing we like the Epcot resort area so much...

Too much risk. I've looked into it extensively, but I don't ever book anything nonrefundable or at least not changeable (like airfare) for vacations, as a rule. We're on the west coast, and the distance makes me even more certain I don't want to take the risk.

We got YC garden view for a little less than $340/night last July. It's one of the reasons we like going in the summer despite the weather - the room discounts bring the prices down a lot. I'm a teacher, so other less expensive times aren't options for us. That said, even with the summer discount, the monorail resorts seem to be regularly $500+ for a standard room. Good thing we like the Epcot resort area so much...

Wow. I just booked a BC room in Feb and came out to roughly 750/night

Going deluxe has one possible drawback. Getting spoiled. We normally stay at French Quarter but last trip I surprised the girls with Animal Kingdom Lodge. Since then I have been informed that they are "deluxe" girls. They cant decide between The Poly and the Western Lodge for the next trip. I always thought deluxe was over rated. I was seriously wrong about that.

I always stay deluxe never stayed value.. we spend a lot of time in resort and to us thats part of the vacation too..

See we never spent time at the resorts because we've always done short trips (2-3 nights) and in parks open to close, but the last time we stayed at CBR and I was like this resort is so cute, it's a shame we didn't spend more time at the pool or the bar - next time for sure. Hence why I insisted on 5 nights for our next trip and planning to take advantage of the hotel ammenities/not rush so much!

Wow. I just booked a BC room in Feb and came out to roughly 750/night
BC was actually what we had originally booked, but then YC had a bigger discount in the summer (I think it was 25% at least), so we switched. The rack rate was higher, but also the room rates have gone up quite a bit even since 2019, I’ve noticed.

There’s an entire thread on the DVC board right now full of reasons why.

Besides that, I actually don’t like the DVC rooms at the Poly and prefer the resort side. The double shower isn’t worth losing the storage space (we’re not light packers) and not having daily mousekeeping is a dealbreaker for me.

The only time I’ve ever spent this $600/nt figure people keep throwing around in this thread was for the Club Level we never got to do because of COVID. You don’t have to rent points to stay Deluxe at a discount.

Since you plan to spend time at the pool, I would highly recommend YC/BC - Stormalong Bay is amazing!!!

We also really enjoyed staying at CR because it was like having your own personal bus depot - just walk to MK (which is great too) and you can resort hop as much as you want!
Do you know what type of coffee pods they use at deluxe or DVC thank you

Do you know what type of coffee pods they use at deluxe or DVC thank you

We had Joffrey's pods at YC, didn't look at anything else in the stash :)

Since our stay has been moved a couple of times, we've ended up with Sept (I hope). Given the stress and the wait, we added 2 more days and changed it to our first split stay. BC & Poly. You're not crazy! We love the deluxe resorts. I'm sure whichever you pick will be great!

Before DVC, we use to do the WL, I might be nuts but I thought it was more like $450/N. There's also the Swan and Dolphin, which are more like $310/N (King is $360), including the $30 resort fee - they'll book at $289/300 - and the inner transpo is included. The beds at the Dolphin are incredible - we haven't tried the Swan cause my husband loves a balcony and the Dolphin has with great views.

Exciting update: Managed to convince DH to book a week stay at Yacht Club in September. It took many, many hours before I got him to cave and it hurt a little to see the price tag but he just asked what would make me happy and went with my decision (because he's the best :love:). Despite all of the current uncertainty around park visits I'm so excited! It'll be my first time staying at a Deluxe (minus that weirdly unmemorable stay at Poly as a preteen) and I feel like I have so much to look forward to - we even planned a rest day so we can enjoy the pool, the property, and take a stroll over to the Boardwalk. Thank you all for your input and encouragement! Wish me luck that my trip holds now :clown:
We prefer the YC over BC. Not as many little kids, quieter, and same great access to everything!

They are all so different it can be hard to choose. Think about which parks you want best access to, what you want in your resort...we generally do a split stay and plan accordingly.

We absolutely love the deluxe resorts. I think the best deal, all around, is the Wilderness Lodge and next up would be the Beach Club. Another great option is AKL but, it is far from the parks and other places. I think splurging on Deluxe would be a great way to vacation after this whole thing ends!

Be prepared - once you go Deluxe you won't want to stay Moderate again. Or at least that's what happened when I introduced my husband to Animal Kingdom Lodge. Now he only wants to stay deluxe so he can use the microwave. :rotfl2:

We loved AKL because it's off the beaten path and is nice and quiet. ( At least it was when we were there ). The resort has a ton to do ( paint and sip, activities by the pool, good dining options ) and the lobby at Jambo House is stunning. This resort has a laid back feel and the buses ran well while we were there.

YC/BC/BWI are all also wonderful but I find they have a bit more of a quick pace. It has pockets of quiet at each but they get more foot traffic ( especially BWI ). Storm a long at BC/YC is the best pool on property so that's a big plus there. It's also nice that you walk between all of these ( plus the Swan/Dolphin ) so the dining options seem endless.

Be prepared - once you go Deluxe you won't want to stay Moderate again. Or at least that's what happened when I introduced my husband to Animal Kingdom Lodge. Now he only wants to stay deluxe so he can use the microwave. :rotfl2:

We loved AKL because it's off the beaten path and is nice and quiet. ( At least it was when we were there ). The resort has a ton to do ( paint and sip, activities by the pool, good dining options ) and the lobby at Jambo House is stunning. This resort has a laid back feel and the buses ran well while we were there.

YC/BC/BWI are all also wonderful but I find they have a bit more of a quick pace. It has pockets of quiet at each but they get more foot traffic ( especially BWI ). Storm a long at BC/YC is the best pool on property so that's a big plus there. It's also nice that you walk between all of these ( plus the Swan/Dolphin ) so the dining options seem endless.
Are you saying the hotel rooms in AKL have microwaves? I thought only DVC rooms have microwaves, plus some suites.
Denise

We usually stayed at Port Orleans, but on our Honeymoon we stayed at AKL. It was OK, but probably not worth the extra money. This time around we are staying at Beach Club. We have a resort day there, and it is close to 2 of the parks. The animals were not a big draw for me AKL, but storm along bay looks awesome and I want to check that out. Also I justify it because of free dining. Moderates are nice, but than you have to either eat all counter service or upgrade to the regular dining plan. Economically you still come out ahead after upgrading to the regular dining plan if you stay at a moderate, but than you are still just staying at a moderate. We also splurged and got the deluxe dining so we are going to eat like pigs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter