• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Go to park on first day or stay at Resort adn relax?

zomama

Mouseketeer
I am pretty much done booking ADR for our May trip but I ams till not sure what to do on first day. FWIW, traveling with my DH, my mom, DD5 & DS2
Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!:thumbsup2

right now I have:

sun- 2 hour flight arrives at 11AM, ADR at HS for Fantasmic Dining @ 5:05
mon- Epcot ADR Akershus
tues-(DS bday) MK ADR Ohana 9:20am
wed- AK, ADR Ohana dinner 6:45
thurs- MK ADR 1900 Park Fare 6:35 Cinderella and stepsisters
Fri- HS ADR Whispering Canyon 6:45

OR ALTERNATE (would save a whopping $40 but maybe some relaxation first day would be good?)

sun- flight arrives at 11AM, hang out at resort, ADR 1900 Park Fare Cinderella
mon- Epcot ADR Akershus
tues-(DS bday) MK ADR Ohana 9:20am
wed- AK, ADR Ohana dinner 6:45
thurs- MK ADR Whispering Canyon 6:45
Fri- HS ADR Fantasmic Dining @ 5:05

Our flight time is around the same for us, I like to go to the parks first day but do it leisurely. No rushing around, just checking a few things out and then having dinner at Garden Grill (a tradition). To me, Epcot is the best park to start off at because you can spend more of the time walking around World Showcase and not going on a bunch of rides immediately.

If my flight was longer I don't think I'd be up for going to the parks immediately but when you only have a 2-3 hour flight, you're not as worn out afterwards.

no real advise on what to do regarding the first day but just some comments on your ADR's.

On your MK you have an ADR at 9:20 at Poly. Not sure where you are staying (if its poly maybe this would be ok) and not sure if you are using disney transportation or if you have a car (car would be easier) and I assume that MK opens at 9...with an ADR at 9:20 you are wasting valuable park time. Especially in fantacy land. If you kept the 9:20 ADR you probably wont be getting to MK till 11...when everyone else is there...you will encounter lines at the bigger attractions. Could you get a later (or earlier) ADR so you could make rope drop...or possible do a breakfast ADR in MK before ropedrop...or breakfast in MK at say 10:45...

What resort are you staying at?

In my opinion, I would take that first day and check out the pool! I don't know what resort you are staying at, but by the time you get from the airport and checkin to your room and all that, I would rather just hit the pool for a little while and relax that day

We had almost the same first day a few years ago. Flight arrives at 11 - which means you really get to your resort around 12:30, depending on how things go. Your room may or may not be ready..ours always has been. It also means you probably had to get up early to get to an airport, maybe around 7ish?

For us, we did the exact same thing with the Fantasmic dinner package. We went to HS a bit early to poke around. It was very fun, but it did make for a long day. Basically 15 hours with no nap or break. We were pooped, and we were two adults.....no two year old to contend with :)

Now, we leave our first day open. No ADRs, and we just judge the weather, how we feel, etc. It's vacation, after all.

I like the second option better. In May the weather will be gorgeous and you can spend that first day enjoying the pool and exploring the resort. It would also allow some time to visit DTD if you felt like it.

My alternate option would be to go to a park immediately after arrival and put in a resort day in the middle of the trip.

I think you can still have resort downtime whichever ADR you decide to keep for your arrival day. If you keep your F!/dinner plans, just hang out and explore the resort until time to leave for dinner. F! sounds like a fun way to kick off your trip :) On the other hand, you could choose to spend the $40 saved on a nice souvenir. But I think as long as you don't rush straight to DHS upon arrival, keeping your original plans will be fine.

I am wondering what to do that day as well. We are going in Oct and our flight arrives at 9:40 am. My kids regularly wake up at 5am, so getting up early isn't a big deal to us.

I would LOVE for the boys to be able to nap when we get there, but I doubt our room will be ready. If it isn't ready we plan on going to a resort restaurant and then checking out the pool.

If the weather isn't nice we might just ride the monorail until our room is ready.

Or we might go to a park.......

no real advise on what to do regarding the first day but just some comments on your ADR's.

On your MK you have an ADR at 9:20 at Poly. Not sure where you are staying (if its poly maybe this would be ok) and not sure if you are using disney transportation or if you have a car (car would be easier) and I assume that MK opens at 9...with an ADR at 9:20 you are wasting valuable park time. Especially in fantacy land. If you kept the 9:20 ADR you probably wont be getting to MK till 11...when everyone else is there...you will encounter lines at the bigger attractions. Could you get a later (or earlier) ADR so you could make rope drop...or possible do a breakfast ADR in MK before ropedrop...or breakfast in MK at say 10:45...

I was thinking the same thing. Going to Ohana at 9:20 will waste a lot of very valuable morning park time. With young kids you will want to be in Fantasy land for rope drop.

I was wondering about this also. First thing in the morning, the lines are shorter and you can get more done in less time.

About the first day - we always go to a park, but I don't think we would be up for F! on the first day. Our flights are pretty early (10-11 am arrival). We head to a park for a few hours and then an early dinner and early to bed. My plan is not start the trip being overly tired.

On our first few trips our frist day was MK and then an early ADR at Chef Mickey to see Mickey and the gang.

Emily

We never go to the parks on arrival day. We drive, so usually get to Orlando around 3 p.m. on arrival day. We swim, have downtime, and either stay in and order pizza or head to DTD for dinner and shopping.

We are staying at POR. Here's my thoughts on this day -- it's my DS's birthday so I wanted the breakfast to "kick off" the day, my kids are late sleepers so it really isnt realistic for us to get in the park early. DS especially is not a morning person, he needs his breakfast and milk before you'll see a smile! our second MK day has AM EMH and I am planning on getting there at 8AM that day.

We are staying at POR. Here's my thoughts on this day -- it's my DS's birthday so I wanted the breakfast to "kick off" the day, my kids are late sleepers so it really isnt realistic for us to get in the park early. DS especially is not a morning person, he needs his breakfast and milk before you'll see a smile! our second MK day has AM EMH and I am planning on getting there at 8AM that day.

If that's what works for you then that's what you should do. The thing to do then is prepare yourself and kids that by the time you get to MK the lines will be long and you will have to do a lot of waiting. It might have to be a day that you skip quite a few things and just take it at leisure. I think the mental preparing is the key to dealing with the crowds.

When my kids were small they loved playgrounds and pools as much or more than parks. I would check those out and give them room time so that they will be familiar with it and be more likely to sleep the first night.

zomama said:
If you do t have a car you will have to get up very early for this ADR. Resort to resort travel takes a long time.

If you do t have a car you will have to get up very early for this ADR. Resort to resort travel takes a long time.

Thanks for the advice! I ended up changing to an 8:40 ADR at Crystal Palace. Will still have to be up early for this but at least we'll only have to go to the park and not 2 different places!

I think the CP rezzie is the right move for DS birthday. It seems you have most of your other ADRs at resorts rather than in the parks, interesting.

For arrival day we love to head to MK. No eal plan in place, just soak in the magic, be happy we are finally there and do what parades, shows or rides we can. Then retire early.

Fantasmic on arrival day seems like a very long first day. Also, my DD2 was terrified of Fantasmic when we brought her. We actually had to leave. YMMV.

I'd take a taxi for your 9:05am breakfast. You will save time this way

Thanks for the advice! I ended up changing to an 8:40 ADR at Crystal Palace. Will still have to be up early for this but at least we'll only have to go to the park and not 2 different places!

I think switching to Crystal Palace was a wise move. The extra 30 min. and already being in the park will be a benefit. Plus, if the park opens at 9:00 that day, you can enter the park slightly ahead of your reservation time and get great pics of your family by the castle without hoards of people in the background.

As far as your original question goes, I would go with your second option. I wouldn't start the first day out with staying out that late for Fantasmic. For us, my kids are always dieing to swim in the resort pool the first day. They can't wait to check it out. Not being able to do it at all that day would be a bummer for them. I've done it both ways where we've headed straight to the park, and the other way of staying at the resort. We've had a much better experience staying at the resort. I've never had a flight arrive as early as you though. At least with your second option it gives you the opportunity to check out the resort, swim, and then you're still breaking things up by leaving the resort to eat at 1900 PF.

We're in a different time zone (only an hour difference, but still...), so staying out late and then getting up early the next day for park time (which would be an hour earlier to my kids' little systems) wouldn't make for a great start to the next day (the first full day of the trip). I'm afraid it would set the course for them being overly tired for the rest of the trip. There's enough excitement just with arriving, that making the day extra long just sets up a disaster with my crew.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter