gluten free question

anniemae

Either she is eating a delicious
Anyone go gluten free but not because of celiacs disease? I have an AI disorder and some folks say eating gluten free helps this condition. I am trying it out, but it is hard! There are a bunch of gluten free products, but some taste awful.

I was wondering how strict you are with your gf diet. I know that people with celiacs have to be super strict and can't even eat a few bread crumbs. Will you still get good results if you have a bit of gluten in your diet, but cut down considerably? I'm just wondering how strict I have to be. I cut out bagels and bought GF bread and crackers. But still will use regular bread crumbs if I need them.

will cutting down the gluten but not cutting it out totally be similar to cutting it out totally?

I've consistently tested negative for celiac, but I feel so much better when I don't eat gluten. Since maltodextrin doesn't bother me I'm thinking wheat might be the issue. I feel so much lighter, energetic, and happy when I don't eat it. It just weighs me down and inflames me. I just started reading Wheat Belly, and there is a lot of science to support the theory that modern wheat is unhealthy.

I'm gluten, dairy, soy, sugar, and legume free by choice. I have no allergies.

Now that I've gone this route, I know that gluten does not sit well with me. To the point that there is no reason for me to ever have it, it just makes me feel horrible. I do have an AI disorder and I've noticed a significant decrease in my symptoms and issues - but I've taken a multi-faceted approach towards treatment that included diet, exercise, supplements, and a cocktail of medications. I cannot pinpoint any one particular thing that has made me feel so good, but I do know that if I stray from the diet I don't feel good, so I'm really strict.

Soy and sugar are the two hardest to avoid. I don't want anything with gluten... in fact that is the easiest to avoid.

will cutting down the gluten but not cutting it out totally be similar to cutting it out totally?

I would suggest going strict for the first month to see how you feel....then go for small doses when you need to and see how that works. I will say that it is harder to start something with a grey area, it can be difficult to stay to the course.

For my daughter (who is gluten intollerent) we found it easier to find food items naturally gluten free instead of manufactured to be gluten free. They cost less and taste better.

Good Luck!

Our boys our gluten free (and dairy, egg, soy, and more) because they have autism which I belive may be AI in nature. To me, it's something to do all or nothing. I also don't think you get results overnight. If my children have even a small amount of gluten I know and then we must wait a few days for it to clear from their body.

Like a PP said, try to stick with naturally GF foods. I buy some cookies and other convenience products but mostly, I make my own from GF flours. Also, as far as bread crumbs, to me that is the easiest thing to substitute GF. Grind up some stale GF bread and freeze it. Then when you need bread crumbs you have them. Probably the least painful thing to switch over. Good luck.

Personally I'd stay away from proceeded gluten free food like crackers and bread. Most are really nutritionally poor. Try sticking with whole foods that are gluton free.

You really have to watch any make sure you are getting enough Iron, Fiber and folic acid if you decide to give up Gluten. Be sure to do your research.

thanks everyone. I really want to try this but man is it difficult. Especially when the rest of the family can eat anything. I am such a carb lover! I will see how it goes and I imagine if it makes me feel better, I will be more motivated to stick to it.

thanks everyone. I really want to try this but man is it difficult. Especially when the rest of the family can eat anything. I am such a carb lover! I will see how it goes and I imagine if it makes me feel better, I will be more motivated to stick to it.

For me personally, going gluten free was not a big deal. I personally don't think it's really that different and I'm a carb lover. If gluten is the only thing you can't eat it should be fairly easy.

For me I'm gluten free, egg free, soy free, dairy free, nut free, shellfish free, sesame free, coconut free and oat free all because of allergies. I also can't eat raw fruits and vegetables.

Honestly, if you're really willing to make the commitment, it's fairly easy to do especially these days when there's so much GF foods out there.

Udis breads are really good (from what I hear....they have eggs, can't have them)
Stick to meats, proteins, fruits, veggies, beans, nuts, etc. the less processed the better.
Potatoes, rice (rice pasta is great...makes a great lasgana and baked ziti)

I mean they now have GF soy sauce and so many GF condiments. Cornstarch and brown rice flour make great substitutes for thickening foods that usually call for regular flour.

Everything I bake is free of the top 8 allergens and everything always gets devoured and no one else in my family is GF (or allergic to anything I am )

It might seem overwhelming at first, but honestly, it's fairly easy in the long run

But I personally think GF is an all or nothing thing for health issues. I don't think you can really see improvemens if you are still consuming any gluten.

But IME, going gluten free only kept me from having allergic reactions to wheat. Otherwise, it did not help any of my GI, skin, neuro or joint pain symptoms.

I really should go completely gluten free as I have a sensitivity to wheat, but I have never been able to do that, or maybe I should say I have never been willing to do that.

For the most part I do try to stay gluten free, especially when I have to be out of the house, and even moreso when we're on vacation.

I have had issues for years, and those issues are much better when I am gluten free so I know it's the wheat. A PP mentioned the "Wheat Belly" book and I, too, am reading that. I feel guilty thinking the genetically altered wheat is the cause of my problems, when DH is a farmer and grows some wheat. :( But I do believe wheat is bad for some people, so as I said most of the time I do avoid it.

But. If I'm at home and know I'm not planning on going anywhere the next day I will sometimes indulge myself. I know I will "pay for it" the next morning. :( But I will occasionally have a slice of "real" bread, or a roll. Bread has been the hardest thing for me to give up. I've tried several gluten free breads and they just don't do it for me.

I made pizza at home a few days ago, and used an Udi's gluten free crust for mine. It was barely edible. :(

I am also diabetic, so between trying to avoid foods with gluten and trying to avoid too much sugar, pasta, etc. it's difficult.

I basically try to stick to whole foods, lean meats, vegetables, fruits and grains other than wheat. Trying to find new and interesting things to cook is difficult, it seems like I make the same things over and over. As far as snacks in the evening, it's usually popcorn, baby carrots and fat free Ranch, fruits, sugar free jello and a dollop of whipped topping, raisins.

I've consistently tested negative for celiac, but I feel so much better when I don't eat gluten. Since maltodextrin doesn't bother me I'm thinking wheat might be the issue. I feel so much lighter, energetic, and happy when I don't eat it. It just weighs me down and inflames me. I just started reading Wheat Belly, and there is a lot of science to support the theory that modern wheat is unhealthy.

Maltodextrin is gluten free.

http://www.glutenfreeliving.com/ingredient.php#maltodextrin

Cutting down the gluten is almost no different than doing nothing at all, at least for me. Trace amounts over time is the same darn thing as eating a bagel. It takes very little to make you sick, depending on how sensitive you might be.

First, I would go to the doc and get tested. Test results can be skewed significantly if you try it on your own first (I know that firsthand :( ). They can let you know if you have any other things to watch out for, so you don't have to figure it out on your own. Be prepared, the doc might not be so keen on gluten free diets as a medical remedy, but my doc was supportive and guided me through the tests. There is a DNA test, an allergy/antibody test, and a GI scope (expensive) - any others, guys?

Then, when you've got a good baseline, go whole hog off the gluten. Be very strict - the hardest part is dealing with other people and explaining why you can't have the "gluten free" cookies that they baked for you on their gluten-laden cookie sheet, or why you can't have the omelette that they cooked for you on their non-stick pan that they made stir-fry in last night (soy sauce has wheat in it). Explain that your sensitivity is like a peanut allergy - even very trace amounts can be harmful.

If this is for your health and well-being, let that be your encouragement to speak up and lovingly explain everything - many more times than you may care to. Some will be awesomely supportive - others will be offended and selfishly upset that you refused their food. Forgive them and move on. The burden to explain well is on you, but the burden of a good response is all on them. But enjoy your supportive friends and family; they're wonderful.

Eating out is very difficult at first, so I would save navigating that until you feel confident at home and at the grocery store.

Another vote for avoiding the processed "GF" stuff - just because it's "gluten free" bread doesn't mean that it will help you feel better. Sometimes the facility has gluten products in it. Oats can also be harvested with some wheat/barley growing in the field, so avoid oats for a while too. I would just stick to whole foods - veggies, fruit, meat, and rice. Dairy might bother you a little bit at first but you can get over that with time. So your dietary habits might change too - instead of an english muffin you may eat a corn tortilla, etc.

It's tough to change your diet!!! But it gets a lot easier once you start feeling better. There's little to no temptation left when you realize, "oh, I will feel super crappy if I eat that." :) I really missed a lot of things, but then I had to go on a gluten challenge for two weeks. I thought it would be great to eat oreos, bagels, etc. again - but honestly, I felt awful and they didn't taste nearly as good as I remembered. I'm very happy without them now.

Good luck!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter