• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Gluten-free Kitchen Sinks at Beaches & Cream

squirk

Saw what you did and knows who you are.
My wife does not have Celiac's, but she does have a gluten intolerance which amounts to the same avoidance of gluteny foods.

I just made an ADR for Beaches & Cream a few months down the road, and listed "No Wheat/Gluten" as a special dietary request.

In terms of the Kitchen Sink, what's the current way that B&C is addressing gluten-sensitive issues?

I did a search and found some threads several years old stating that you have two options:

1.) the chef will come out and talk to you, as they usually do for special dietary needs, and then omit the gluteny parts of the KS, replacing them with extra servings of the non-gluteny ingredients; or

2.) you order the KS "deconstructed", whereby the sink contains just the ice cream and whipped cream, but everything else (cookies, angel food, turtles, etc.) comes in its own separate bowl, almost mise-en-place, so each person can add only the ingredients they want.

Is that pretty much still how it's handled? With all of the many new types of gluten-free foods on the market over the past few years, I was wondering if B&C could now serve a more-or-less complete and fully-assembled KS with GF versions of all ingredients.

Thanks much.

Gluten-free foods are expensive (as you know). It would surprise me if they did make a version containing GF replacements - partly based on cost, but also on the chance that if itlooks like the original, but there's a mixup over which party gets which order...

I'm sure they could do the entire thing gluten free for you.

When we've gone we have 4 people who will eat it. (youngest doesn't like ice cream)
So they bring us a kitchen sink minus 2-3 scoops of ice cream, then bring my son with all the allergies his own bowl of ice cream with his toppings. He is much more restricted than just gluten, but as a PP said with the mix ups it might be safer just to ask for a split version so she can have a bowl everybody knows is completely safe. Depending on your group size, it may make more sense to give the rest of you the regular kitchen sink for safety, cost and because the alternatives aren't the same as the original.

Good points, on the costs of GF substitutes and the chance of a mix-up. Thank you.

I guess I was hoping for a way that my wife could just "dig in" along with the rest of us. Parsing out some components in a separate bowl, while practical, is almost anticlimactic and kind of excludes her from the KS experience, y'know?

Hardly a major problem, I admit, but I know how good it makes her feel to not have to be "singled out" at dining events like this.

Good points, on the costs of GF substitutes and the chance of a mix-up. Thank you.

I guess I was hoping for a way that my wife could just "dig in" along with the rest of us. Parsing out some components in a separate bowl, while practical, is almost anticlimactic and kind of excludes her from the KS experience, y'know?

Hardly a major problem, I admit, but I know how good it makes her feel to not have to be "singled out" at dining events like this.

Then it's worth asking if it is going to make a huge difference for her. I've never had to watch for gluten alone, so if we got a KS that was safe for my son it would be very disappointing for the rest of us. (think huge bowl of rice dream, chocolate sauce and maybe one cookie) Because of that, I am not sure how many things have to come out to be GF. It could just be an issue of most of it being there (ice cream, sauces, candy bars), then maybe two little bowls, one with some cookies and a brownie for her, and the other with a couple little pastries for everybody else. It may not effect the look of the whole thing because they cover it in whipped cream and you sort of can't tell what's in there.
The logistics of eating the thing as a group are sort of awkward even with nothing special because you end up with bowls and scooping out clumps of stuff- it may end up being preferable to be able to get baked items from the side so they aren't soggy and lost at the bottom.

It would upset me if they were unable to provide an entirely gluten free version. Because of the cost of the GF items I would expect a higher price for it but I would think that they should be able to make it. As long as they make the price clear before preparing it, why wouldn't they?

That being said, make sure you speak directly with a manager or chef when ordering and make sure that one of them will personally prepare your order. We had a really bad experience there and I won't set foot in there ever again. I partly blame myself because I didn't insist on a manager or chef so that's why the recommendation.

I think I know the answer to this question, but perhaps someone can confirm:

Would the folks at B&C make a GF Kitchen Sink if I supplied the GF ingredients (brownie, angel food cake, Oreos, etc.) and still agreed to pay full price?

My guess is "no", for a number of reasons, but perhaps I am wrong?

While you might find somebody to do it, I would not expect them to at all. (and whoever agreed might get themself in trouble!)
You could always bring your extras, have them make it GF and then throw even more stuff on it yourself.

Hey there!!

I saw this thread and jumped in, because Moonie #1 and I (#2) are both Gluten Intollerant (not Celiac) and one of our MUST DOs for my first trip to WDW was to conquer the Kitchen Sink.

You are correct in your assumption that it comes 'de-constructed' It's almost more intimidating this way, you just have to tell them (or if you're on Special Diets they should be asking you anyway) to do it this way and why. There's no extra charge to have it done this way. The other 3 in our group actually ended up boxing up the cake and brownies to take them back to the room to snack on later.

Cheers
Moonie #2

I think I know the answer to this question, but perhaps someone can confirm:

Would the folks at B&C make a GF Kitchen Sink if I supplied the GF ingredients (brownie, angel food cake, Oreos, etc.) and still agreed to pay full price?

My guess is "no", for a number of reasons, but perhaps I am wrong?

I can't imagine that they would since no Disney restaurant will bring outside food into their kitchen. I would think that they would agree to leave off all the baked goods and then you could add them yourself at the table but personally I wouldn't want to pay the full price for that and I doubt you'd get a discount for it.

Any update on how they made your kitchen sink? I am going in a couple weeks and wondered if my daughter and I could share one with the two gluten eaters in our house...so if they could just make them whole thing gf.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter