Gluten Free Eating on Disney Cruise

Ufgrad98- I have no idea. But since many chocolates contain wheat, I just bring a safe alternative..

I just recently sailed on the Magic and here are my thoughts:

I want to start off by saying that my overall experience was good and I would definitely sail with Disney again. I want to give you a balanced review, so I will also include some of my negative experiences.

Palo brunch was so worth the extra cost! The chef was amazing, I got the best gluten free pizza, pasta, and yummy desserts. I did not do the Palo dinner, so I can't comment on that.

I did not like the GF pizza at Pinocchio's: the crust was soft/doughy underneath, yet burnt at the edges. I'm not sure if it just wasn't cooked properly or if it was the actual crust that made it awful. It was a different crust that the one I had at Palo.

I ordered GF pasta one night in the MDR because there just wasn't anything offered that appealed to me, it looked ok, but ended up tasting mushy, so I was disappointed.

In the MDR, there were GF options on the menu most nights.
Some of the GF vegetarian 'Main courses' were identical to the appetizer dishes, probably just a larger portion. I found the regular 'main course' GF options to mostly be meat/seafood focused dishes. I did wish there were more GF main course options that were not mainly a roasted chicken or some other meat/seafood. I did enjoy my meals and always felt 'safe' eating them. The GF desserts I had were all good and you can request a crème brule the night before any dinner you don't find something on the menu that appeals to you. I had to check the Navigator App to see the next days dessert menus because the advance menus shown to me by my servers never had desserts on them.

I have to admit that I don't eat a lot of meat, so I requested a lot of GF veggies at dinner, much to the surprise of my server. He did seem a bit confused that I didn't want any chicken/meat/seafood some nights, and since the 'Vegetarian' options weren't GF or not appealing to me, I had to get creative with my requests. I never had a chef come out to my table in the MDR.

I had breakfast and lunch at Cabanas. I mostly ate the roasted potatoes, eggs and fried veggie for breakfast. One of the days I requested GF waffles and they brought them out to me. They were good.
For lunch, there was always the salad bar, and various items. One day I requested GF mac'n'chz and they brought some out to me. It was good.
The disappointing thing for me was there were days that a 'Fruit cup' was the only GF dessert offered in the dessert case. I wish they had a second option every day, something more dessert like. I did enjoy the few I had. There is always the soft serve machine by the pool.

For an afternoon snack I would frequently have the coleslaw and tomato salad at Boiler Bites. The French fries there are also GF as they have dedicated fryers. I had a burger once, but the GF bun was stone cold and I had to ask them to heat it up. I think they needed a bit more training on what you do with a GF bun since it appears to come out of a freezer.

Again, I had a good experience overall. I did not go hungry and always found something to eat. The cast members do seem to try their best. :)

We have one GF member in our party and have had a wonderful experience with the gluten free options on board the Dream and Fantasy. During our last sailing on the Dream, we were back to back and had the same staff for both legs in the MDR. They seemed to make it a personal challenge, including the Chef, to bring new and exciting dishes. Several nights the Chef personally took the time to visit our table and inquire as to the satisfaction of the meal.

We do not eat MDR each night, we also enjoy steak at Cabanas, but on the MDR nights, it was exceptional. I should also add, they brought excellent breakfast meals on the couple times we chose MDR for breakfast. Gluten free waffles were a favorite!

The gluten free dining is yet another of the MANY reasons we keep coming back!

I took pictures of the breakfast and the pizza which I could post. :)

Do a google search for Mickey bar ingredients. There are many pictures of the wrappers with the ingredients list.

"natural flavors" can be problematic.

No where on the package does it say gluten free, so that means it's not produced in a dedicated facility and there is a chance of cross contamination.

So it depends on how sensitive you are...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter