Gluten free at DL

dizlover21

Mouseketeer
I have been to DL countless times but this is the first time I’m having to go as gluten free 😭😩 I am having a lot of difficulty doing research, I have already joined a group on FB but it does not have much. I have tried googling menus and looking at the app but hardly anything shows gluten free. Does anyone have pictures of menus or suggestions? Thank you

I don't have pics , but, I can tell you not to worry. DLR has so many options for GF food. I am GF, and so is my husband. Chef's come out and take your order. They have solid protocols in place. We've never gotten sick or had cross contamination. You will have lots to choose from. Have a great time!

A friend of ours has celiac disease and she used this list when figuring out where to eat --> http://disney-eats.blogspot.com/p/disneyland-parks-gluten-free-list.html

At the quick service locations, she usually had to wait a little longer than we did for her food to come out, but it was worth the wait.

** edited to add **
Our friend has eaten at:
Blue Bayou - they prepared a special gluten free meal, she was really happy with how everything tasted
Dole Whips near the Tiki Room
ice cream sundae from Gibson Girl on Main Street
cheeseburger & fries from Hungry Bear - they have a special fryer that isn't used for any breaded foods
Rancho del Zocalo - can't remember what she had here, but her meal was gluten free
Flo's V-8 Cafe

Last edited:
My kids have gotten meals at award wieners, carnation cafe, jolly holiday, French market, boardwalk pizza and pasta.

The last several times we were there, most recent spring 2018, we used a very helpful app. This app was for all US Disney Parks. It went restaurant by restaurant. We are going to DL in 2 months and I can't seem to find the app. Does anyone know about it? Is it gone?

The last several times we were there, most recent spring 2018, we used a very helpful app. This app was for all US Disney Parks. It went restaurant by restaurant. We are going to DL in 2 months and I can't seem to find the app. Does anyone know about it? Is it gone?
Do you remember the app name at all? That might help someone find it.

Relax. You'll be fine. I've been GF since 2004 and never been glutened at either WDW or DL. LuckyRabbit linked to the GF Superthread, it's a great resource.

Some things to remember:

It will generally take 10-20 minutes longer to prepare your GF food. At a TS place, this isn't a problem, they coordinate serving all meals at the same time. But at some QS and CS places others in your party may get their food before you do. Sometimes it's just a few minutes, other times my friends have been pretty much done eating when I sit down with my tray. Be aware, and build in a little 'extra time' for eating. We've started having me go first and my friends usually getting one or two behind me in line, it seems to help.

There are little to no 'fresh baked' treats in the Parks that are GF. So no GF cakes, cookies, rice krispie treats, etc. There are some prepackaged treats and pre bagged candy that is OK. Sprinkles in DTD has a good GF cupcake. There are also things that would 'read' GF that actually aren't due to cross-contamination, so when it comes to Matterhorn Macaroons, Tigger Tails, and other 'dipped' treats that don't contain gluten ingredients, make your own judgement call. I've been told multiple times by CMs that the pots they dip in are also used to dip gluten-filled items. Other GF people have said they eat them with no problem. The decision is yours. I've chosen to avoid.

Most eateries have an allergy menu, but will also call up a chef/manager to talk with you about options if you feel safer that way. Disney takes food allergies extremely seriously. But you still have to do your 'due diligence' and NEVER be afraid to ask questions OR to question someone if you feel something just isn't right.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

I don't remember the name of the app. It included WDW and DL and you could click on each park and then each food place in that park. It was very helpful. It would tell you things to stay away from, etc. I feel like maybe it is gone. But we used it for both WDW and DL for many years. I don't know why I deleted it:headache:

There’s a couple blogs that do gluten free reviews: Fairy Tale Foodie, Alexis’s Gluten Free Adventures, and Gluten Free/Dairy Free at Wdw (which has DL reviews too). If it comes down to it, I’ve also looked at restaurants on Tripadvisor and searched “gluten free”.

I would also try googling reviews of specific restaurants you want like “gluten free review for carnation cafe dinner” or something like that. You generally can’t go wrong with Disney restaurants, but some do have less options & some in Downtown Disney aren’t Disney owned so it’s good to double check.

Disunplugged used to have a team member who was GF that lived in California. They have some gluten free video reviews.

I also wrote a dining report on our trip to DL, and my boyfriend is gluten free. Here’s the link: DL Dining Report

Out of the restaurants we went to he enjoyed his meals most at Carnation Cafe, Cafe Orleans, Steakhouse 55, and Storyteller’s. At Storyteller’s brunch the chef came out and walked him around, and then made him a few dishes of his own. They also have GF grilled cheese and tomato soup at Jolly Holiday Bakery.

The ones we probably wouldn’t go back to were: Uva Bar (they had some gluten free options but not as many as I’d thought. He couldn’t have the fries, and they put croutons on his side salad even though they were aware of the allergy) & Goofy’s Kitchen (didn’t have as many choices for him as Storyteller’s and the food overall wasn’t as good).

There’s a couple blogs that do gluten free reviews: Fairy Tale Foodie, Alexis’s Gluten Free Adventures, and Gluten Free/Dairy Free at Wdw (which has DL reviews too). If it comes down to it, I’ve also looked at restaurants on Tripadvisor and searched “gluten free”.

I would also try googling reviews of specific restaurants you want like “gluten free review for carnation cafe dinner” or something like that. You generally can’t go wrong with Disney restaurants, but some do have less options & some in Downtown Disney aren’t Disney owned so it’s good to double check.

Disunplugged used to have a team member who was GF that lived in California. They have some gluten free video reviews.

I also wrote a dining report on our trip to DL, and my boyfriend is gluten free. Here’s the link: DL Dining Report

Out of the restaurants we went to he enjoyed his meals most at Carnation Cafe, Cafe Orleans, Steakhouse 55, and Storyteller’s. At Storyteller’s brunch the chef came out and walked him around, and then made him a few dishes of his own. They also have GF grilled cheese and tomato soup at Jolly Holiday Bakery.

The ones we probably wouldn’t go back to were: Uva Bar (they had some gluten free options but not as many as I’d thought. He couldn’t have the fries, and they put croutons on his side salad even though they were aware of the allergy) & Goofy’s Kitchen (didn’t have as many choices for him as Storyteller’s and the food overall wasn’t as good).

And it's DELICIOUS!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter