Glow with the Show

shanejoseph

Mardi Gras Mickey
I may be totally out of the loop on this one, but does anybody know what's up with Glow with the Show? Been looking forward to experiencing it for our up coming New Years Trip, but watching YouTube videos of Osborne, etc., I do not see any ears in the crowds! It was launched after our last trip, hope it didn't go away already! Can anyone advise?

I may be totally out of the loop on this one, but does anybody know what's up with Glow with the Show? Been looking forward to experiencing it for our up coming New Years Trip, but watching YouTube videos of Osborne, etc., I do not see any ears in the crowds! It was launched after our last trip, hope it didn't go away already! Can anyone advise?

They were/are pretty much of a flop on both coasts.

Three major negatives:

1. The cost is high ($25, plus tax) for the ears.

2. They can be distracting for those in the crowd right behind the ears (and who don't want to see the extra lights.)

And the BIG one...
3. You can't see your own ears, only those of guests who are wearing them in front of you.

The hat is so heavy. And I you are participating you can't see it; you enjoy other people's hats but not yours. That bummed out my son, who was the driving force behind buying a hat. And the adult hat, which barely fits my son, looks like a beanie on DH's head.

They were/are pretty much of a flop on both coasts.

Three major negatives:

1. The cost is high ($25, plus tax) for the ears.

2. They can be distracting for those in the crowd right behind the ears (and who don't want to see the extra lights.)

And the BIG one...
3. You can't see your own ears, only those of guests who are wearing them in front of you.

So, they're discontinued?

Aren't there new products coming out this month? A headband, wand and hat? They look like they will work better!

No they are not discontinued... just not very popular. But Disney seems committed to trying to make this work as they just announced a new line of products like glowing mickey gloves, minnie bow, and magic wand in addition to the ears.

I thought it was such a cool concept, and I had really been looking forward to it. But when we went to World of Color in Disneyland last summer hardly anyone had one on, so it really had no impact. Disappointing :(

I may be an old fuddy duddy, but I really hate this entire idea. Isn't the point of fireworks to see the pretty lights in the sky? Why would I want to be distracted by a bunch of blinking hats and stuff. I feel we should try to minimize the ambient light in order to enjoy the fireworks more, not ADD TO IT! Isn't that why they dim the lights in World Showcase?

They just started selling a Minnie headband and the bow lights up. Unfortunately it's a little too small for my giant head. I much prefer the headband though because there isn't a huge battery pack making your head look oddly shaped.

I may be an old fuddy duddy, but I really hate this entire idea. Isn't the point of fireworks to see the pretty lights in the sky? Why would I want to be distracted by a bunch of blinking hats and stuff. I feel we should try to minimize the ambient light in order to enjoy the fireworks more, not ADD TO IT! Isn't that why they dim the lights in World Showcase?
I fully agree. It's bad enough trying to view a fireworks show with a bunch of tablet people in front of you, much less a lot of blinking hats, headbands and whatever else.

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201410/4264/

We bought the glowing ears in Disneyland as a splurge in August 2013, as this was our first (and most likely only for a LONG time) trip to Disneyland. All 3 of my kids plus my nephew had the ears and I will say that during World of Color it was very cool to watch them. However agreed on the front that they are heavy and the kids definitely didn't want to wear them for very long, even during the show.

We are still debating taking them with us next week to WDW to see how they work out there. :confused3

We bought the glowing ears in Disneyland as a splurge in August 2013...
We are still debating taking them with us next week to WDW to see how they work out there. :confused3

There are multiple opportunities the use them at WDW.

But, getting back to "the big problem..."
If you WEAR them, you CAN'T SEE them.

I think that the best idea they have with the new merchandise is the "Mickey Wand."
At least you can hold it up and watch the colors, yourself.

Now, if they'd just drop the price to about $15, (which they could easily do, knowing what kind of "technology" is involved)
they'd likely have more takers.

We were there last week and they were heavily pumping them up during the wait for Fantasmic at HS. But I didn't see very many people with them on, and I didn't think the effect was that great. I do think it's pretty much a flop.

I think I recently saw a promo (don't remember where) for Osborne lights that gave the illusion of almost everyone in the crowd wearing Glow With the Show. I assume it was for this year, so I doubt the ears are getting discontinued.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter