Glory to you, and your MOUSE- 9 days of Disney Dining

On our last day, it was wicked hot in the MK and we decided to return to the resort. DD wanted to swim as did DH, but I didn't feel up to it- and I did have ONE more thing on my mental 'to do' list yet to be done. We took the small boat from MK on our way back to Poly and I asked my husband if he'd be okay taking DD back to swim if I took dad to tea, and he smiled.

I grabbed Dad's arm and said, "So, Dad, how about tea?"

He grinned.

We went to the GF tea for the first time on our last trip- dad was not with us and boy did we miss him at the time because I knew how much he'd love it. Strawberries with whipped cream are his favorite thing ever and boy do they have them at GF. So being it was now 2:30, even though we didn't have an ADR I knew crowds were pretty low so we decided to chance a walk-up.

The place was pretty deserted, and after asking very nicely if they perhaps could please fit us in, if we waited, they seated us right away :)

We had two servers, Patricia and Lauren and both were wonderful, attentive and sweet. Dad immediately settled into his chair, took in the wonderful piano music and sighed contentedly. Yes, I thought, this was a good decision.

He and I settled in- something I never would have imagined us doing ten years ago as my relationship with my father from childhood was what you could call. . .troubled. But people change, and things change, and as we've both survived strokes by this point in our lives (his much more serious than mine- he just barely survived) we appreciate each other now in a way we never did years ago. We've also discovered that at the end of the day, we're a heck of a lot alike.

So we settled in and ordered, I recommended the Buckingham knowing that he's not much for pate (and I don't eat duck!) and that we were dining at Narcoosees in five hours LOL. For my dessert option I chose the strawberries and cream which was more than enough for us both and he picked two pastries from the tower- I know both things had berries on them as he loves them so.

He couldn't stop raving about the Sally Lund bread, which I ordered on the side knowing that it tastes a lot like a special dessert my grandmother used to make called keeflies. We shared a huge pot of Darjeeling, talked about our trip so far, and then he said something really sweet to me- he said that my planning to the letter on this trip had made it go off without a hitch and I was the 'hero of the trip' :) i get misty just thinking about it!

The sandwiches were delicious as ever (love the egg salad particularly and the cucumbers though I do take the watercress off! LOL) the tea was perfect- the service wonderful- and Dad stole the check even though I had insisted going in that I was getting this one.

He asked me to wrap up his little jar of raspberry jam as 'his remembrance' of our tea. He especially enjoyed the rendition of Claire de Lune that the pianist performed.

A wonderful memory for us both- and all the food was delicious. One of my favorite unwinding activities now at WDW- will definitely do again.

Cost- OOP for two; 43.00 not including tip. I tipped VERY well LOL They forgot to add our Sally Lund bread to the check and when I pointed it out, she told me it was on them. But it would only have added 3.50 to the bill and was WELL worth it.

Laren

What an incredible day for you and your Dad! I got very teary-eyed reading it as I miss my Dad soooooo very much.:sad1:

Wow, Laren - what a lovely review! GF tea is on my wish list for when I can park DS somewhere and take my little princess.

Sounds like you made a special memory for you and your dad - tears came to my eyes as I read your post - I took my Mom to her first and last WDW trip back in '02, and years before I never could have imagined taking a swim with her in the WL pool or sharing a Cobb at Brown Derby.

Thanks so much for sharing....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter