Glennbo’s City, Sand, and Savanna PTR - TR Link (pg 73)

Hi Jen! Are you moving within Florida or further away from WDW?

We are moving to Huntsville, AL. I have hated living in FL ever since I moved here in 2000. I strongly believe that I will be able to provide Creighton with more opportunities by moving away from S. FL. The cost of living is steadily increasing while our jobs are making paycuts. I just graduated with my Bachelors degree so we are ready for a fresh start someplace else. Also, Creighton is still young enough (not in school) that if we don't like it in AL we can move somewhere else. The reason that we chose Huntsville is because my BF's mom lives about 1.5 hrs from there (far enough away that she will not pop over unexpected....hopefully :rotfl:). Since Creighton was born (2009) she has had colon cancer and a year later liver cancer and so we feel as though we need to be closer to her and let her have a better relationship with Creighton in case something does happen to her.

More info that you wanted to know, i'm sure....sorry. Haha.

Thanks for thinking of me! I followed a link that was on the main page of the DIS (I think) and watched it a week or so ago, but I just watched the one you linked also. I wish we could see it this year, but we'll miss it by 2 weekends. I still think the one we saw in 2010 was the best -- I liked the music in it better than this years or last.

I'd like to be in "Figrin D'an and the Modal Nodes". I think I could learn their dance moves. Wouldn't that be awesome?!

I don't think I can blame them for their choice of music and it's not their fault that the music today is....not like it used to be. :rotfl:

Your posts about SWW was the reason I took my nephews last year so if I found out that you were in Figrin D'an and Modal Nodes I would be there EVERY.SINGLE.WEEKEND to see you bust a move!! :rotfl2:

I know! And there is so much going on, time is going to fly. We're trying to get through with the end of school, then we'll have a graduation and a party, and work is very busy as well. People are trying to schedule things with me and when I say "I'll be on vacation the last 2 weeks of June", I get a look...so I'm glad that you guys are happy for me!

Don't you get tired of people being put out because you actually use your vacation time? Drives me crazy.

Just checking in to see if I missed anything! Can you believe it's almost June!!!!!!!! :banana::banana::banana: I am SO ready and we even have a pre Disney heat wave going on here right now so we can get even more ready! :rotfl: Nothing like realistic weather to get you really pumped up for Florida!

Hi Glenn Happy Memorial Day to you and the family!! I am working, but we had a great picnic and are all stuffed !!!!!!

We cleaned the house, what fun! (We have company coming for Lauren's graduation.) And then grilled a PChef recipe: Mexican Burger Bar. So good!

I'm also typing my updates more slowly Rosie........just for you!!! :lmao:

I thought about going with a "slow" joke, but decided to go easy on her. ;) :laughing:

We are moving to Huntsville, AL. I have hated living in FL ever since I moved here in 2000. I strongly believe that I will be able to provide Creighton with more opportunities by moving away from S. FL. The cost of living is steadily increasing while our jobs are making paycuts. I just graduated with my Bachelors degree so we are ready for a fresh start someplace else. Also, Creighton is still young enough (not in school) that if we don't like it in AL we can move somewhere else. The reason that we chose Huntsville is because my BF's mom lives about 1.5 hrs from there (far enough away that she will not pop over unexpected....hopefully :rotfl:). Since Creighton was born (2009) she has had colon cancer and a year later liver cancer and so we feel as though we need to be closer to her and let her have a better relationship with Creighton in case something does happen to her.

I wish you the best in your move and getting settled-in to jobs and the community, and prayers for your BF's mom. :goodvibes There's definitely something to be said for small-town life and raising kids. And congrats on your degree! :woohoo:

More info that you wanted to know, i'm sure....sorry. Haha.

Not at all, thanks for sharing.

I don't think I can blame them for their choice of music and it's not their fault that the music today is....not like it used to be. :rotfl:

Now if we could only get an all-Beatles Hyperspace Hoopla....:scratchin

Your posts about SWW was the reason I took my nephews last year so if I found out that you were in Figrin D'an and Modal Nodes I would be there EVERY.SINGLE.WEEKEND to see you bust a move!! :rotfl2:

Wow, thanks for the support! A grass-roots movement to get me in the Modal Nodes.

ETA: If I ever make it to the Modal Nodes you'll be able to tell who I am -- I'll be in a big alien head and wearing a dark shirt. ;)

Don't you get tired of people being put out because you actually use your vacation time? Drives me crazy.

Yes, yes I do. I had a worse occasion a few years ago when a VP was trying to arrange a meeting when I was on vacation. When I told them, they paused like they were waiting for me to say I'd cancel or call-in or something. Fortunately, a manager piped-up that they could handle it for me while I was gone. :sad2:

Just checking in to see if I missed anything! Can you believe it's almost June!!!!!!!! :banana::banana::banana: I am SO ready and we even have a pre Disney heat wave going on here right now so we can get even more ready! :rotfl: Nothing like realistic weather to get you really pumped up for Florida!

It's weird for us though...we have so much going on that I don't think we'll feel like it's real until we're on Interstate 95 and have cleared D.C.!

The heat and humidity was pretty nasty this weekend (and now). I checked the weather app on Judy's phone yesterday and it looked like WDW wasn't much different than what we had, temperature-wise.

Hey...just saying hi! Twenty-one days, huh? They'll probably fly right by now, with the graduation and all, too!

Whoa!!! I can't just look away for a second and a Pre-trip report 60 pages long appears! Well.. I'm up to date (but I had to skip all the chit-chat, sorry! Hehehehe!)

:cool1::cool1::cool1:

Hey...just saying hi! Twenty-one days, huh? They'll probably fly right by now, with the graduation and all, too!

Hi Tina. :wave: Thanks for checking in.

Yes, they'll fly by...kinda like "ready or not, here I come!"

Tribilín;45035726 said:
Whoa!!! I can't just look away for a second and a Pre-trip report 60 pages long appears! Well.. I'm up to date (but I had to skip all the chit-chat, sorry! Hehehehe!)

:cool1::cool1::cool1:

¡Tribilín! I was beginning to think you'd quit the Disboards! :welcome:

I slowed down recently with the updates just for you...and Rosie....and Marv. :rolleyes1

Do you have any trips planned? When will you be heading back?

We’re under 3 weeks until we arrive in Vero Beach, and even less than that for the lucky two who are going on the NYC leg of this whirlwind tour. If you’ve followed along with my replies over the last few pages you’ve already read that we have a lot going on and it seems like we can’t really focus on getting excited for the trip yet. There are lots of hurdles to um, hurdle, before we get there.

Nevertheless, some planning has been planned and some purchases have been purch’d.

Naturally, you want the run-down, so here’s what I can come up with since last time:

• Top of the Rock Tour. I purchased tickets for Judy and Lauren to tour Rockefeller Center and go to the Observation Deck. www.topoftherocknyc.com I was putting it off because there was no discount to purchase them ahead of time, but then I realized that I should get them to ensure that they can go at a time that fits their schedule, since I’ve booked other tours and things. So, they’re all set.

• Microfiber towels. I was Auto Zone and made an impulse buy at the checkout, which is something I almost never do. They were only a dollar for a package of 2. And since they’re only washcloth-size, I may carry one in my camera bag. They’re useful for cleaning off grody (80’s flashback! definition link) benches or for attempting to dry yourself off after a trip down the Kali River Rapids.

• Beach toys. We were at a discount/overstock store, “Ollie’s Outlet”, and bought a set of Wham-o brand beach toys for $14.99. The set has a volleyball, football, Frisbee, and paddles and balls that are made of fabric and suitable for use at the pool or the beach. It also has an inflation pump. With this stuff, along with our kite-in-a-bag from Kitty Hawk Kites that we’ve had for years, we ought to have plenty to keep us occupied on the beach.

• Disney Visa upgrade. I went ahead and upgraded to the premium Disney Visa card. I figure that the extra reward dollars will pay for the annual fee and then some.

• Sirius Radio. I ran the satellite-antenna cable through the van so that it’s hidden under all of the upholstery and comes out under the passenger side floor mats. Since I couldn’t find an FM transmitter/booster, I got an FM extender from Amazon for just a few bucks. You’re supposed to place it near the radio antenna, but in all honesty I’m not sure where it is – there’s no obvious metal antenna anywhere. Oh well. Just putting the extender on the dash helps to get rid of the static, so I guess that’s how I’ll use it.

• Downloaded the Disney Mobile Magic iPhone app. This was a free download. In 2010 I downloaded it to my not-so-smart phone and it was $5 or $10. So, we’ll have both the Mobile Magic app and the Undercover Tourist app and we can see which one we like better. I like that the Mobile Magic app has transportation help, but I’m going to ignore its suggestions whenever it tells me to go through Downtown Disney…unless I’m trying to get to Downtown Disney! One thing I don’t like is that it won’t give me the ride wait-times unless I’m in the park. The Undercover Tourist app will show me the current wait-times and it’s kind of fun to see what’s happening at the World, while I’m home.

• Parents’ ME tags arrived. Since the reservation is in my name, I had to book my parents’ Magical Express. I’ll give them their luggage tags when they’re here for Lauren’s graduation.

• Looked at our grocery list with Judy. Right now, it’s basically the same as the past couple of trips. We just might need a little more quantity, with the extra bodies. I imagine my parents will bring their own Metamucil :crazy2: and what-not.

• I never told you about a couple of Christmas gifts I got for the trip. With some Christmas money I got an inexpensive monopod. I’m not sure yet if I’ll take it into the parks or not, but it will at least make the trip to Florida.

The second item is what Judy got for me: Night vision goggles.

night_vision_scope.jpg

As you can imagine, there’s quite a range of what you can spend for this kind of thing and these are at the low-end. I’m not sure how well they’ll work to see critters way out on the savanna, but we’ll see…if we can see. It’ll be neat to try them out from our balcony! Oh, and for anyone staying at Jambo House, you might want to remember to close your blinds.
    ashamed0001.gif

• Booked our Sea Turtle Walk. Good thing I looked at the “To Do” list in my last update or I’d have forgotten to include this here. A couple of weeks ago the window opened for when you could begin signing up for June's nightly Sea Turtle Walks at Sebastian Inlet State Park. I began calling right at 10am, when they opened, and it took until nearly 1 o’clock before I could get through. And you thought the Disney Dining phone line was tough! Even though I was in a seminar :rolleyes1, I hit redial every five minutes or so and it took nearly 3 hours to get a ring instead of a busy signal. Once I got through I had no trouble reserving a spot for us on the evening I wanted. :thumbsup2

It may not seem like it day-by-day, but we are getting there!
Link to next chapter

A few things:

1 - No Judys.
2 - Let me know how upgrading to the Premium card goes. I've been debating. I put all my work expenses on that card (that gets reimbursed) so I've been racking up points to support my habit.
3 - If you forget the night vision goggles, there's a spy store here in Melbourne -- no joke.
4 - Thanks for the link to the Sebastian Inlet State Park. I've added it to my "list of things to do within an hours drive." The list is quite long!

ETA: And 5 - I bought Sham-Wows a couple years ago to bring with me to the parks for after a rain shower that I could wipe down benches. I keep bringing them and I've never had to use them! Geoff also has a stock-pile of micro-fiber cloths because they're good for electronics.

Cool update, even cooler gadget. :cool1: I could have all sorts of myrthdom with that one. Targeting water balloon launchers, locating small water foul in the dead of night, finding my change when it falls under the bed...talk about the gift that keeps on giving!

Oh, and I hope all is going well out in Glennboland.

We spent part of Memorial Day weekend helping my mom sort some boxes from the attic. Lo and behold, in the bottom of one, we found an envelope with "Disney 1976" on it. It was photos from my first ever trip to The World. It was pretty cool finding them I have to say.

I went back and added them to Biscuit's Grand Adventure to the chapter my dad wrote about that first trip.

I hope you guys have a fantastic trip. Excited you are counting weeks and not months. And soon it will be days and not weeks! :dance3:

Since we had planned to be there at the same time as your upcoming excursion, I shall endeavor to avoid any fits of jealousy. I plan to have random pizza's delivered to our resort at all hours of the night, but I wouldn't say I'm jealous. After all, who wouldn't be thrilled to give up Disney in exchange for a summer trip to their mother in law's house. :rolleyes:

Yay for your trip coming up so soon!!!! And night vision goggles - how awesome!! Hopefully you'll see lots of animals with them!

Your trip is so close. :cool1:

Lots of good purchases and I am sure all will be used for good and not evil. ;)

No Judys but since I turned in early, It is onelilspark for the win!!!!

[*]Microfiber towels. I was Auto Zone and made an impulse buy at the checkout, which is something I almost never do. They were only a dollar for a package of 2. And since they’re only washcloth-size, I may carry one in my camera bag. They’re useful for cleaning off grody (80’s flashback! definition link) benches or for attempting to dry yourself off after a trip down the Kali River Rapids.
Great idea... the only thing better would have been if you had waited to make that impulse buy at the grocery store so you can get that extra percentage of money back on the Premium Disney Visa.:rolleyes1

With this stuff, along with our kite-in-a-bag from Kitty Hawk Kites that we’ve had for years, we ought to have plenty to keep us occupied on the beach.
Looks like a good purchase.:thumbsup2

[*]Disney Visa upgrade. I went ahead and upgraded to the premium Disney Visa card. I figure that the extra reward dollars will pay for the annual fee and then some.
Interested to see how it works for you. I got a thing in the mail last week and considered it, but never did upgrade yet.

Oh well. Just putting the extender on the dash helps to get rid of the static, so I guess that’s how I’ll use it.
The end result is what's important. I'm glad you found a way to make it work better.

Downloaded the Disney Mobile Magic iPhone app. This was a free download. In 2010 I downloaded it to my not-so-smart phone and it was $5 or $10. So, we’ll have both the Mobile Magic app and the Undercover Tourist app and we can see which one we like better.
I might have to look for the UT app. I have Moble Magic and Lines... Hardly even opened Mobile Magic once we were in the parks, except to look for last minute ADR availabilities.

The Undercover Tourist app will show me the current wait-times and it’s kind of fun to see what’s happening at the World, while I’m home.
::yes::

The second item is what Judy got for me: Night vision goggles.
SWEET! :cool2:

Looks like things are coming together quite nicely. Good luck explaining the ME tags and their proper use to the parents. It's going to be here before you know it!

Great update and purchases. I too am curious about Disney premium upgrade (what is annual fee?). I can't believe New York and trip is so close. Congrats to Lauren in her graduation.

Glennbo..check the windows on your van to see if the antenna is in one. I have a Ford Windstar and the antenna is in the passenger side rear window.

Thanks glennbo123!

Do you have any trips planned? When will you be heading back?
Maybe next year. I went with my parents and a nephew last year (jul-aug 2011). We were there 8 days and my mom fell in love with WDW (note how I didn't say my dad liked it :rotfl:) and she wants to return.

But this year we went to Las Vegas :dance3: and WDW had to be pushed waaaaaay back.

But that's cool, because that means more time to plan and daydream :cloud9:

A few things:

1 - No Judys.

Correct! :cheer2:

Updated Scores:

Dan - 4 Judy-sighting wins, 3 survey game points
Pat - 4 Judy-sighting wins, 2 survey game points, 1 Bonus Point!
Molly - 3 Judy-sighting wins, 2 survey game points, 2 Bonus Points!
Magdalene - 1 Judy-sighting win, 2 survey game points
Rosie - 2 bonus question win
Cynthia - 1 bonus question win, 2 survey game points, 1 match game point, 2 Bonus Points!
Rob - 2 survey game points
Kelly – 1 Judy-sighting win, 2 survey game points
Mark - 3 survey game points, 3 match game points
Katharina - 2 survey game points
MissLiz - 1 Judy-sighting win, 3 survey game points
Marv - 3 survey game points, 1 match game point, 1 Bonus Point!
Tammie - 2 Bonus Points!
Nory - 2 match game points
GreatBiscuit - 1 Judy-sighting win
Winkers - 1 Judy-sighting win

Back to the replies....

2 - Let me know how upgrading to the Premium card goes. I've been debating. I put all my work expenses on that card (that gets reimbursed) so I've been racking up points to support my habit.

I know what you mean...I got the first offer sometime in January or February and it took me until April to finally go ahead and pull the trigger. I guess it boils down to the extra 1% on gas and groceries. If you spend at least $4,900 on those in the year, it'll pay for the annual fee. But right now, during the 3-month introductory period, it's pretty sweet watching the additional 3% (on gas, groceries, restaurants, and Disney) roll in. (Current cardholders who upgrade get that deal, whereas new applicants get $100.)

3 - If you forget the night vision goggles, there's a spy store here in Melbourne -- no joke.

Ooo, that sounds cool. Looks like Melbourne is around half-an-hour to 45 minutes from Vero. What's the name of it?

4 - Thanks for the link to the Sebastian Inlet State Park. I've added it to my "list of things to do within an hours drive." The list is quite long!

You're quite welcome. I think I have a saved favorite on a different computer of their webpage that describes the turtle walks, but I couldn't find it when I was doing the update last night, so just linked to their main page. The number I called to register is (772) 388-2750.

ETA: And 5 - I bought Sham-Wows a couple years ago to bring with me to the parks for after a rain shower that I could wipe down benches. I keep bringing them and I've never had to use them! Geoff also has a stock-pile of micro-fiber cloths because they're good for electronics.

I just remember using one of Judy's PChef microfiber towels to dry off after Kali soaked me. These are smaller, but they might work...although there'd be a whole lot of wringing-out and reusing.

Cool update, even cooler gadget. :cool1: I could have all sorts of myrthdom with that one. Targeting water balloon launchers, locating small water foul in the dead of night, finding my change when it falls under the bed...talk about the gift that keeps on giving!

Oh, I know you could! Back when we first got it I sent the kids way out in the backyard to test whether I could see them, and it worked better than I had hoped. It was winter (right after Christmas) and a very dark night. The distance out on the savanna is what I'm not sure if it'll be up to the task.

Oh, and I hope all is going well out in Glennboland.

Not too bad Biscuit, thanks for asking. 'Course I'm fixin' to go on a trip to Disney, so I can't complain....not on these boards anyway!

We spent part of Memorial Day weekend helping my mom sort some boxes from the attic. Lo and behold, in the bottom of one, we found an envelope with "Disney 1976" on it. It was photos from my first ever trip to The World. It was pretty cool finding them I have to say.

How cool! We ran across some stuff from a trip Judy took back in the 80's a while back also.

I went back and added them to Biscuit's Grand Adventure to the chapter my dad wrote about that first trip.

I'll check it out. Feel free to post a link here so others can find it as well.

I hope you guys have a fantastic trip. Excited you are counting weeks and not months. And soon it will be days and not weeks! :dance3:

Thanks GB!

Since we had planned to be there at the same time as your upcoming excursion, I shall endeavor to avoid any fits of jealousy. I plan to have random pizza's delivered to our resort at all hours of the night, but I wouldn't say I'm jealous. After all, who wouldn't be thrilled to give up Disney in exchange for a summer trip to their mother in law's house. :rolleyes:

You should see me sitting here holding my hands out, making that weighing motion, trying to determine between Disney and MIL's house. :rolleyes:

I'd take the pizzas, but they're not pre-paid are they. Nuts.

Yay for your trip coming up so soon!!!! And night vision goggles - how awesome!! Hopefully you'll see lots of animals with them!

Thanks Sara. I hope so too. We'll have to see if they work well from our balcony or if we'll need to go to some other viewing areas where we can get closer.

Your trip is so close. :cool1:

:woohoo:

Lots of good purchases and I am sure all will be used for good and not evil. ;)

Oh yes, I'm sure! :angel:
smiley-angelic008.gif

No Judys but since I turned in early, It is onelilspark for the win!!!!

Kelly was due for a win!

Grody.....:lmao::lmao::lmao:

I'm not sure when the last time I heard that word was but you've reminded me of a favorite.:thumbsup2

monopod...cool!

night vision goggles....:scared:

Ever since my friends dragged me kicking and screaming to see The Silence of the Lambs night vision goggles remind me of one thing........"put the lotion in the basket".:scared:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter