Glasses and Sensory Integration Disorder

Liberty Belle

<font color=green>I was going to reply, but I see
My son (has ADHD, SID, and Anxiety) was prescribed glasses last fall. After he got them, we noticed his behavior greatly improved. We started jokingly calling them his "magic glasses."

Well, he forgot to wear them to school Tuesday and had a bad day (high frustration level). Now I'm wondering...could they really make that much of a difference? Or was it truly coincidence.

I wear glasses and I know I have to put mine on immediately in the morning. I can't stand not to be able to see well. But he doesn't seem to be that way at home. He can go all day sometimes at home without them.

Just curious.

I think they could definitely make that much of a difference. I don't believe it was a coincidence at all. Think about how frustrating it is to not be able to see clearly. He wouldn't be able to see anything his teachers are writing on the board or overhead.

I needed glasses when I was in 4th grade. My mom didn't believe me. My older brother had just gotten glasses and she thought I just wanted them because he had them. I remember not being able to read the teacher's writing on the chaulkboard. We were doing a unit on Africa and we had to copy an insane amount of facts for each African country from the board onto index cards to study for a test. I was staying in everyday at recess for a couple weeks so I could go up to the board and copy the info since I couldn't see it from where I was sitting. Talk about frustrating! My mom finally got a clue when we were at a high school football game and I asked why they put the scoreboard so far away that no one could read it.

I think they could definitely make that much of a difference. I don't believe it was a coincidence at all. Think about how frustrating it is to not be able to see clearly. He wouldn't be able to see anything his teachers are writing on the board or overhead.

I needed glasses when I was in 4th grade. My mom didn't believe me. My older brother had just gotten glasses and she thought I just wanted them because he had them. I remember not being able to read the teacher's writing on the chaulkboard. We were doing a unit on Africa and we had to copy an insane amount of facts for each African country from the board onto index cards to study for a test. I was staying in everyday at recess for a couple weeks so I could go up to the board and copy the info since I couldn't see it from where I was sitting. Talk about frustrating! My mom finally got a clue when we were at a high school football game and I asked why they put the scoreboard so far away that no one could read it.

The exact same thing happened to me, and I was also in 4th grade, too! Weird. My mom still feels bad about it.

I bet you're right. And if there are other things that are bothering him (sounds, lights, etc) that he is usually able to handle, the glasses thing may just be the straw that broke the camel's back.

I haven't gotten new glasses in a few years, but update my contact prescription regularly purely because I wear them more. I can barely stand to have my glasses on now because the difference in the strength is just enough that I can feel the difference and it drives me insane! I definitely think not having his glasses would be enough to kind of put him on edge early therefore making him that much more sensitive to everything else, and end up having a crappy day.

A friend of my DSs is the same as your little one. At home he is fine unless he is getting sick. When asked by my DS he said "Glasses make other people less annoying, they treat me different like I'm smart".

Yes it can make a major differnce. They also can be a sensory source for sensory seekers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter