Glad to be here...finally!

hurley41

Earning My Ears
I have a confession, I was never a Disney guy, sure I enjoyed the movies, the cartoons, but if I never went to Disney World that would have been ok. But my wife and Kids (2 year old son and 5 year old daughter at the time) convinced me we should go. I reluctantly gave in because as much as I was indifferent towards going to Disney World, I knew my kids and wife would thoroughly enjoy it, so I gave in.

It was a little over a year ago that I discovered these boards and the podcast. They both were immensely helpful in planning our vacation. From the resorts and Art of Animation thread to the Desert Party thread (which was extremely helpful since my daughter has a peanut allergy) and everything in between. As a stay at home Dad I had a little bit of time to immerse myself in the trip planning and all things Disney World.

Quickly it was mid April and we were making the two day trek from Wisconsin to Orlando. We got there and had an amazing time, we toured the parks commando style since we had no intentions of getting back there for a long time if ever. We accomplished all the attractions and such that were most important to us, which turned out to be long and stressful, but well worth it. It really was a great time, from the cast member who saw my kids crying and came over and gave them water and stickers, to wandering around World Showcase during Flower and Garden and taking it all in.

Once we got home something magical happened, I was hooked. From buying Jody Daily and Kevin Kidney tiki mugs to collect, to reading books about the exceptional service at Disney and books about the history of Disney. I finally got it and you know what? I wanted to go back. I thought it wouldn't happen, but Disney impressed me, the extraordinary service, the immaculate look of the parks, the atmosphere and immersion, how nice all the cast members we encountered were and how they seemed to love their jobs. It was truly a magical trip.

So here I am a year later, and I bet you can guess what happened, we are planning our second trip to Disney World for August of this year. It didn't take long for me this time to convince the rest of my family to go again especially since my son, now 3, has been begging to go back ever since we got home from our first trip. It'll be a little different this time planning as we want to do a split stay and we want to take things a lot slower and enjoy having this wonderful opportunity again of just being there.

The magic of Disney is real, and I'm a prime example. Thanks to the Disboards for the wonderful tips, reviews and reading that I have enjoyed. Thanks to the podcast as well, it's always fun and interesting to listen to as this stay at home Dad cleans the house. Both have helped me immensely with planning, what to do, and where to eat. Thanks for reading my obscenely long post. And thanks to Disney for the magic that I never expected. Hopefully occasionally I'll post on here, opinions, questions, etc. but I'll always be reading and enjoying.

What a great post. I am a new father bringing my daughter this year for the first time and can't wait! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I am hoping to convert the in-laws, who last went 25 years ago. I'm trying to explain all the differences from then and how great it is. Your post is definitely going to be shown. Enjoy the trip! (And the planning!)

Thanks! I'm sure you'll love taking your daughter there for the first time! As much as the occasional melt downs suck, it was worth it in the end to be able to give them that experience! Hope the post helps your in-laws understand how awesome the world is! Enjoy your planning and trip as well, it's not quite half the fun, but certainly still is fun and creates so much excitement for us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter