Glad that I can put free dining behind me!

My trip is actually one that embraced the new free dining promotion!

My DD doesn't start back at school until after Labor Day. She & I had a fabulous time over spring break (left DS and DH at home). We stayed at the BWI on the 30% off promotion (plus extra 15% Orbitz) but it was still expensive. We really wanted to go back before school starts. She has been begging to stay at Pop (even though we've never been to a value resort). She thinks it looks cool, and the tie dye cheesecake is somehow enticing. So, we were going to book Aug 29 to Sept 5.

The morning free dining became available, I got it booked. It cost roughly $150 or so more than the room discount would have cost with the free QS dining. And, with the tickets, the whole package is about what we paid (or less) than just our room at the BWI! $150 for a week of QS (and we got BOG lunch booked too) is a deal to us! We don't do sit down meals at all, except have one tradition of Sci Fi (we may book that this trip and pay OOP, it's an inexpensive place anyway).

It worked out so well for us!

Do we have math/accounting/business smarty pants people here?

Why is it that when you are on a cruise, the company has included dining but they can't do the same at the resorts? I don't mean for just Disney. All of the cruise ships do included dining. Why can't that business model apply to hotels as well?

They do - they're called All Inclusives. The rules in the US differ than overseas, so you see VERY FEW of them in the US. I can name two in Florida.

Then you have hybrid ones. We stayed at Peter Island in the BVI once - meals included but not alcohol.

To be honest, we mix it up. While at Bonnet Creek we had breakfast in the room, and we did a combination of pizza at the pool, quick service, and even had Tusker House for lunch one day. We do this crazy family garage sale every year. My neighborhood has one and my mom's does, too. Last year we made $1600 total so we split the money between March and our upcoming trip. Believe it or not $800 just about paid for food for everyone for our 6 day trip. We were on our own for snacks and mainly drank water. We had sodas at the condo.

We are taking the other $800 to Disneyland in June and paying for all park food. In all fairness, my two kids are girls and are 10 and 13. I swear the 13 year old eats less than the 10 year old. They will split a burger and fries and be completely full knowing that they are getting a kitchen sink right before fireworks or something like that. So, we basically have 2 girls, 3 ladies, and my husband who eats like a horse.

Next summer we will either do Bonnet Creek or I am kicking around two rooms at Carribean Beach if I can get a good deal like everyone was getting with the Expedia UK deal.

We are hoping we make that much money next year since we only have one trip. We better - my mom is demanding Biergarten!

If that style of eating is what you are planning for this trip then even TIW will not help much. It mostly only helps with table service meals and alcohol. To break even you need to spend at least about $470 plus tax at participating restaurants/lounges. We have done the dessert for dinner thing with our family, the kids love it, not only does it save money, it's also nice to be able to enjoy the good stuff without getting over stuffed. Happy Plannning.
Donna

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter