• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Glad I found this out about restaurants

Duvdar

Earning My Ears
I thought I would post this for anyone who might be going to disney like me for the first time in a long time and might not know this.

All the restaurants in downtown disney area now require reservations in order to get a table anytime without waiting for hours and hours on end.

Wife and I planned on eating at 5 different places downtown and thank god I noticed and called and made reservations for each day we want to go.

While I am not a big fan of this new method because you have to plan your day around dinner it needed to be done so we did it.

Just a heads up in case you plan on going soon and did not know.

All the resturants in downtown disney area now require reservations in order to get a table anytime without waiting for hours and hours on end.

Thanks for the info.

Sounds just like how it is all REST of the restaurants at WDW. :goodvibes

I walked right into Raglan Road three nights ago -- no reservations, party of four. We waited 15 minutes before being seated. Two nights before that, 30 min wait at House of Blues. Maybe we were just lucky? Or do those not count as "DTD Restaurants"? :confused:

:earsboy:

Did this become a rule recently? Because we were there in February and we got into T-Rex with a wait of...20 minutes? Maybe 30? Definitely not hours and hours.

I'm not saying that it isn't a good idea to make reservations for the restaurants you really want to eat at anyways, DTD or otherwise. But I think that other factors, such as time of year, time of day you decide to eat, and just plain luck, that play a role as well.

Last January (ok, it was January, but still) we went to Portobello's with no wait at all. The restaurant was practically empty.

I think it's a good policy to make reservations anyway, but I'm sure if you go at an off time you won't have to wait "hours upon hours." That's a bit excessive. ;)

Dh and I went to T-Rex (spur of the moment trip) the last weekend in April and had maybe a 10 minute wait.

Maybe that is just what I was told. Not sure what advantage they have by telling me this but oh well I made reservations at 5 places.

Duvdar-do you have #'s or do wdw-dine cover it?
I didnt think they took reservations for Wolfgangs ,Rainforest and stuff like that

I didnt think they took reservations for Wolfgangs ,Rainforest and stuff like that

Not sure what you mean numbers but if you go on the main disney website there is a number to call and make reservations. It is one number for all places to eat.

Rainforest did take a reservation.

Other places that did were Portobellos, Fulton Crab House, Planet Hollywood and forget the other one on top of my head.

Much depends upon the time of the year, and the number in your party. The DTD restaurants can be very busy and you can be turned away.

If you have your heart set on dining in a given full service restaurant, the best bet is to make a reservation or ADR as the case may be.

DS made ressies for House of Blues for the same night and they said there were also people just walking in. This was 2 nights ago.

Maybe that is just what I was told. Not sure what advantage they have by telling me this but oh well I made reservations at 5 places.

What you heard isn't necessarily "wrong," maybe just a worst case scenario. Make reservations just means you're playing it safe. If you get reservations for a restaurant and then see people walking right in when you get there, you haven't really lost anything for making reservations. It doesn't cost anything and you're covered in case there is a huge line.

We walked into Wolfgang pucks in April with no wait at all. I think it depends on time of year and such. Not a bad idea to make a ressie though. But for me the DTD is not a day I plan as well it is more like a "wing it " day. Though my hubby is really wanting to try Raglan Road, so maybe we will make a ressie for our upcoming trip. :thumbsup2

That's why I make them everywhere b 4 I go. I don't leave no resturants to chance to :scared1:

Not sure about Wolfgangs, but Rainforest takes reservations. We have one for our upcoming trip. We are a party of 11, and the last time we went they were able to get us in on very short notice with really no wait during April but we didn't get a very nice seat. So we are hoping this will enable us a better chance at that.

1) You can walk-up to any DTD restaurant and ask for a table.
2) Of course, you might have a wait.
3) But, most are not Disney-owned.
4) For their own business, they would not halt walk-ups.

I've never had a problem walking into a DTD restaurant and getting seated. Even during busy times the most I've had to wait is 20 minutes. that being said, any restaurant that takes DDP during Free dining might be crowded at night. I do recommend getting ressies for Planet Hollywood and T-Rex as they do seem very popular. But I don't think it's necessary to have one to get seated.

Can't speak for all restaurants, but I made reservations at Planet Hollywood last year and this year (this year PH is on the DDP, although I don't think they were last year) and also for Rainforest Cafe this year at AK (not on DDP, but Disney is still taking reservations).

If they just started taking adr's, then most just don't know about it yet. Once people start realizing that, I imagine it will be harder to get.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter