GKTW BUTTON USAGE questions

is a visibility "enhancement" for the button needed?

• YES, if so what (GKTW Shirt / Special made Shirt / something else...)

• NO, in 90% of the time a cast member will see you just fine without the need to say anything

Results are only viewable after voting.

alexwick

Earning My Ears
Hello folks,
We are staying in May at Give kids the world and visiting Universal Sea World and WDW. (more in my Signature)

Now I am just wondering how the Give kids the world button actually works, because generally to simplify it it should give us front of line access for what I understand for all rides.

Now I believe its a "normal size" button... I don't know how many cast members work on each attraction, and how obvious that button is? Do people notice that button? Or are enhancements necessary?

I mean generally it should provide FOL access without having the bad "taste in my mouth" of feeling like your cutting in someones line, and getting reactions as such. I mean that IS what you are doing essentially: "cutting in line "with permission"...."

But it would make a much better experience if that first step of getting to the front of the line is initiated by a cast member and not by us... So is that usually the case? Or do you guys suggestion a additional T-Shirt etc? or is this not necessary? OR how are you experiences with the button?

Please vote and explain in the thread.... :)

THANKS to all who can chimp in on that!

I have NOT personally gone as a WISH family, but it seems like as soon as a CM sees the button they grab you and direct you. If they don't see you, it is almost always very easy to approach the first CM you see and simply ask them where you should go. There is generally a CM stationed at the entrance to all lines. It is a slightly larger button IIRC,and CMs are great at noticing buttons of all sorts. For example, I was wearing a birthday button last year, and nearly every CM we encountered wished me a happy birthday.

I'm not speaking from experience, so I could be wrong... but based on several posts I've read over time, while most believe WISH kids *should* get FOTL, it doesn't always happen exactly like that. I believe what I've read is that it more likely will get you into the FP line; *possibly* pulled ahead of others or taken to a back entrance/exit.

Personally, I would have no problem if a WISH family were brought to the front, and that seems to be the general consensus on the boards here. While there may be some at the park who disagree, I think you need to set your mind not to let them worry you. I know as the parent of a child with significant enough needs to qualify for a WISH, you are well-familiar with shutting out closed-minded individuals and their comments.

Enjoy your vacation!

Unless things have changed, during orientation you'll be told to approach the CM at the ride and tell him or her you have a wish child. You'll then be directed to the FP line. It was really hard to get used to. I have heard that at Universal, you'll be taken out of line and through a back door, but we never made it there, so I can't speak from personal experience.

having been on MAW trips with 2 adopted grandsons, the GKTW button is size of birthday button. CMs look for them and point it out if it is missed. we had magical times on both trips. you did not ask but allow time to do some of the activities at GKTW. have a great trip and make lots of momories

Hello folks,
We are staying in May at Give kids the world and visiting Universal Sea World and WDW. (more in my Signature)

Now I am just wondering how the Give kids the world button actually works, because generally to simplify it it should give us front of line access for what I understand for all rides.

Now I believe its a "normal size" button... I don't know how many cast members work on each attraction, and how obvious that button is? Do people notice that button? Or are enhancements necessary?

I mean generally it should provide FOL access without having the bad "taste in my mouth" of feeling like your cutting in someones line, and getting reactions as such. I mean that IS what you are doing essentially: "cutting in line "with permission"...."

But it would make a much better experience if that first step of getting to the front of the line is initiated by a cast member and not by us... So is that usually the case? Or do you guys suggestion a additional T-Shirt etc? or is this not necessary? OR how are you experiences with the button?

Please vote and explain in the thread.... :)

THANKS to all who can chimp in on that!

To the best of my knowledge, I never missed a group when I worked at Universal. Even if I'd had to duck into the queue for something, I'd see them on my way back out front. Most of them were also wearing MAW or GKTW T-shirts, and a group in matching T-shirts is a real attention-getter. :)

That being said, if you want to "embellish" the button, why not? Find some blinky lights for it, put curly ribbons on it, whatever your kid wants. Heck, even get him/her a goofy hat if they want one. After all, it's his/her trip, live it up! :banana:

If having a t-shirt will make your trip more special, then do that. But don't do it for other people's benefit. You could have a blinking neon sign that says wish trip and there will still be self-absorbed jerks who will think they should be the ones "cutting" the line. Give them exactly the amount of consideration they deserve, which is zero.

Unless the have changed things in the last 4 months, it is no longer a button.
In a October 2013, they changed to a laminated cutout of the Genie from Aladdin that can be worn on a lanyard.
If you choose also to wear some kind of special shirt is up to you. Some people use their Wish shirts as kind of a celebration, others don't enjoy the extra attention that special shirts might bring over and above the Genie.
So, it's up to you. As someone else said, don't wear special shirts for others, wear them for you.

As was mentioned, you will be told to approach a CM at each attraction, let them know that you are on a Wish trip, and ask how to access the attraction. In most cases, there is a Fastpass line and you will be directed to go into that line.
There may be some attractions with different access, but the CM will tell you what to do.

Most people are not going to notice you are entering the Fastpass line without using Fastpasses (unless you are wearing Wish shirts), so don't worry about that.
You may run into some meanspirited people, but the majority are either not going to notice your group out of all the other people in the parks or will be very nice.

If you have not seen it, there is a thread near the top of this board specifically for Wish trippers. There is general information in the first post and you can ask questions there too.

Personally, I would have no problem if a WISH family were brought to the front, and that seems to be the general consensus on the boards here. While there may be some at the park who disagree, I think you need to set your mind not to let them worry you. I know as the parent of a child with significant enough needs to qualify for a WISH, you are well-familiar with shutting out closed-minded individuals and their comments.

Enjoy your vacation!

:thumbsup2

Thank you guys!
I really appreciate everyones time...

We originally thought to make shirts... but havnt really given it to much thought... so i was just looking for some feedback...

I also post in the wishtrippers "thread" ... it just sometimes doesnt seem to busy... so i wasnt sure where i will get more feedback... I might throw the question in there too... but your answers help already a lot!

I really wonder if it is still the button?!

Thank you guys!
I really appreciate everyones time...

We originally thought to make shirts... but havnt really given it to much thought... so i was just looking for some feedback...

I also post in the wishtrippers "thread" ... it just sometimes doesnt seem to busy... so i wasnt sure where i will get more feedback... I might throw the question in there too... but your answers help already a lot!

I really wonder if it is still the button?!
I can confirm that it is NOT a button.
It is a laminated cutout of the genie from Aladdin on a cord lanyard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter