Giving tickets (i.e., concerts, sporting events) as gifts

What got me thinking about this is that my sister called me and said she was given 4 tickets to a concert for her birthday. The gift giver told her that while all 4 tickets were her birthday gift, only 1 was actually for her. One was for the gift giver and the other two she was supposed to find somebody who wanted them. But, they had to buy them for at least face value, reimbursing the gift giver.

I just wonder how other people think or feel when giving or receiving tickets as gifts. popcorn::

I don't think you can relate this scenario to any gift giving 'rules'.

This is so far out there that it doesn't even qualify as being a 'gift.'

never like that. I have been given 1 ticket to something before, that my sister took me to (so she bought 2 tix, but only gifted the 1). I would never give someone 2 or 4 or whatever tickets and expect to be taken.

my mil gifts us tix from time to time. dh and I just saw jersey boys and book of Mormon thanks to her. and we got her tix to see the four seasons this summer, she is taking her bf.

I don't find it strange to gift one ticket, but don't gift them both if it isn't meant for the recipient to do the choosing.

I've given hockey, basketball and baseball tickets to my brother for various holidays and I give him one ticket and I keep mine. It's understood that we will go together and he has never complained. He's the only one I gift tickets to though. I think if you give more than one ticket, it shouldn't be expected that the giver gets one.

I find this really odd. I also think it's distasteful to give self-serving presents or presents that appear to be more generous than they really are.

There's nothing wrong with giving one ticket as a present, but I would definitely discuss it with the recipient first (e.g., "Do you want to go to see X with me? Would you like me to get your ticket as your birthday present?").

If the gift giver expects to be invited than they need to be specific - I'm taking you to see ____________ for your birthday. Preferably including dinner.

That's how I would think it would be done if the giver wanted to go see/do the activity too vs. giving them tickets to something.

In the OP situations, that is completely bizarre and NO all 4 tickets were not for your sister's birthday...only 1 was and the others were for her to be the selling agent for. Basically the giver could have just put it on StubHub at that point but didn't want to do the work. Crazy.

I think no gift at all would have been better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter