Giving pop to very young children

My husband's a physician too and doesn't make perfect choices either, who does? But he is very conscious of what is good for your body and if he gives the kids "bad" stuff, he tells them at the time why it is bad and why we don't eat/drink a lot of it. We both agree that eating/drinking anything once or twice isn't harmful, so if they were at a venue that served only sprite, we wouldn't make them go thirsty, we just choose not to provide it to them whoever there is another option.

Lol....that must be fun to hear right before they get to have a cup cake.

Lol....that must be fun to hear right before they get to have a cup cake.

They also get to hear about the surgeries that result purely from poor diet and lack of exercise. And throw in the various health issues in family history that can be lessened through eating/not eating certain foods. We're killjoys, what can I say!

The thing is that now they're aware, so it doesn't have to be said everytime they open their mouths. And they learn moderation. Like my son just got Easter candy from his grandma and asked if he could eat his jellybeans and I said "sure, just don't eat the whole bag in one sitting" (though it is what I assume to be a single serving bag). He opened them, ate maybe 4, put the rest in a ziploc. He could have had many more than that for all I cared but he's heard before that candy is an occasional item because it isn't good for you so he is learning to ration. I'm sure he'll eat more later, but so far no binging or hoarding when they see junk.

So hopefully the ideas sticks and while they are bound to eat more junk than they should during certain years of their lives, at least their early years will be primarily healthy. And healthier in not just their consumption, but things like getting fewer x-rays at the dentist because they are "low risk", according to their ped dentist, because they don't regularly drink juice, soda, or eat a lot of candy or soft, sticky foods.

And again, maybe we're just lucky, but we don't see soda offered to kids in our regular activities. My 7yo was at a birthday party today and when I picked him up I checked the beverages offered solely because of this thread: lemonade, water, apple juice, and grape juice. My oldest was camping with her Girl Scout troop all weekend and the troop leader brought up individual waters, a large water "keg" and a 2nd keg for lemonade. No sodas at either event.

I have to add, what I find confusing, is that like I said in my initial post, I couldn't care less what others do and was only responding to the question in the OP which was "what age did you start giving your kids pop?" Or something like that. Never once have I put down anyone who gives their kids soda nor said anything along those lines. I don't say those things because I don't think my way is superior to those who choose to give their kids soda. It's different but doesn't make one right or wrong.

Yet every comment I get back is how much kids miss out, my kids can't possibly be in normal activities, my kids must be homeschooled, they must be miserable, they sneak soda behind my back, I'm a dictator, my kids don't have any fun, they'll grow up and binge eat junk, etc. Just don't get why anyone cares so much about what my kids eat and drink.

I'm thinking now, I would be considered the worlds worst mother by today's standards. My now X was a manager for the major soft drink company and we had one of those dispensers in our house with the Co2. We were the soda house. However, my kids were outside playing all day when not in school. Played touch football, basketball, built forts, made roads in the dirt for their little cars, etc.

My dil was not brought up this way and bringing my grandkids up with no soda, two pieces of their candy at Halloween and then the rest goes into a jar that they can have one a week. Last night grandson was at friends for 4 hours playing XBox (or whatever the new one is now).

I don't know what's worse, a little bit of soda or little exercise. I agree with a PP about heavy kids in school. We had a couple but that was it. I just tend not to think it's the fault of the soda/fastfood places as they were around years ago.

They also get to hear about the surgeries that result purely from poor diet and lack of exercise. And throw in the various health issues in family history that can be lessened through eating/not eating certain foods. We're killjoys, what can I say!

The thing is that now they're aware, so it doesn't have to be said everytime they open their mouths. And they learn moderation. Like my son just got Easter candy from his grandma and asked if he could eat his jellybeans and I said "sure, just don't eat the whole bag in one sitting" (though it is what I assume to be a single serving bag). He opened them, ate maybe 4, put the rest in a ziploc. He could have had many more than that for all I cared but he's heard before that candy is an occasional item because it isn't good for you so he is learning to ration. I'm sure he'll eat more later, but so far no binging or hoarding when they see junk.

So hopefully the ideas sticks and while they are bound to eat more junk than they should during certain years of their lives, at least their early years will be primarily healthy. And healthier in not just their consumption, but things like getting fewer x-rays at the dentist because they are "low risk", according to their ped dentist, because they don't regularly drink juice, soda, or eat a lot of candy or soft, sticky foods.

And again, maybe we're just lucky, but we don't see soda offered to kids in our regular activities. My 7yo was at a birthday party today and when I picked him up I checked the beverages offered solely because of this thread: lemonade, water, apple juice, and grape juice. My oldest was camping with her Girl Scout troop all weekend and the troop leader brought up individual waters, a large water "keg" and a 2nd keg for lemonade. No sodas at either event.

Maybe I'm just lucky because without horror stories my girls grew up to healthy adults that really aren't into soda, anywhere near overweight and don't have issues with eating sweets until they throw up lol. I just don't think all the doom and gloom and horror stories of sweets etc is really necessary for little kids but to each their own.

Our kids are 7 and 9 (will be 10 this month) and we have just started allowing them to drink soda once in awhile....like at a restaurant or special occasion. Even then, it's usually a sprite or ginger ale versus coke, which is very rare.

Well I think obesity is from a variety of causes. But regarding fast food and soda, I don't think people in my parents' generation consumed them in the same extent that people do today, and from childhood like people do now. Also, portion sizes have exploded and desserts are surging in popularity. Combine that with how sedentary people have become just from so many advances in technology. Like mowing the lawn, for example, now can be accomplished sitting down, or by a service, but years ago people used push mowers. Just so many conveniences now that didn't exist years ago that make it easy to be less active.

My dil was not brought up this way and bringing my grandkids up with no soda, two pieces of their candy at Halloween and then the rest goes into a jar that they can have one a week. Last night grandson was at friends for 4 hours playing XBox (or whatever the new one is now).

I came on to see how this thread could possibly still be going. I'm glad I did. Sasywtch, this paragraph was well worth it. Hysterical to think about your thoughts and her words. The sitting with the xbox with all the limitations. :lmao:

And only two pieces of Halloween candy. Blasphemy.

Maybe I'm just lucky because without horror stories my girls grew up to healthy adults that really aren't into soda, anywhere near overweight and don't have issues with eating sweets until they throw up lol. I just don't think all the doom and gloom and horror stories of sweets etc is really necessary for little kids but to each their own.

But see, we see it as reality, not doom and gloom. Not like we preach this constantly, but we do make them aware.

I don't either. I let my kids have things in moderation. They were never overweight and were always very active. There wasn't a particular food or drink that they were not allowed to have. We didn't keep a lot of junk food in the house, but they ate at McDonald's a couple of times a month and had soda now and then. Things like that.

My daughter has a family now and is very health conscious. My youngest son wants to stay in shape, so he eats a healthy diet the majority of the time. Occasionally they will have a soda, candy, or maybe some fries. It's not a big deal if it's in moderation.

Now if a parent just feeds their kid crap all of the time and the child is suffering health-wise because of it, then that's a different story. Other than that, it doesn't make any difference to me what another parent feeds their kids.

I'm thinking now, I would be considered the worlds worst mother by today's standards. My now X was a manager for the major soft drink company and we had one of those dispensers in our house with the Co2. We were the soda house. However, my kids were outside playing all day when not in school. Played touch football, basketball, built forts, made roads in the dirt for their little cars, etc.

I don't know what's worse, a little bit of soda or little exercise. I agree with a PP about heavy kids in school. We had a couple but that was it. I just tend not to think it's the fault of the soda/fastfood places as they were around years ago.

I used to drink 6 cans of Sundrop (200 calories a can) a night at work, plus some Pepsi before & after work. And I had almost dangerously low body fat. I worked HARD at my job in those days. Granted, I do think that's too much and I backed WAY down after just a couple years of that. But, being chained to a desk most of the time has done more harm to me than "bad" foods ever did.

But see, we see it as reality, not doom and gloom. Not like we preach this constantly, but we do make them aware.

Exactly!! It's our job to teach our children and make them aware.

FWIW - my boys are twins...one will choose rootbeer sometimes (then he mixes it with water [blech!]), the other gets mad when parties don't have at least a water fountain....Neither like the carbonation....I'm fine with that.

I'm also upset when I see babies/toddler drinking soda in any way shape or form. The straw thing would annoy me, but the filling a baby bottle up with big red or carbonated orange drink from a soda fountain just sends me over the edge.

I came on to see how this thread could possibly still be going. I'm glad I did. Sasywtch, this paragraph was well worth it. Hysterical to think about your thoughts and her words. The sitting with the xbox with all the limitations. :lmao:

And only two pieces of Halloween candy. Blasphemy.

Shoot,I think after I checked my kid's candy, I never saw it again. I always love these threads. Makes me think I was a terrible mother but nah, they are 36-25 and all ok.

Shoot,I think after I checked my kid's candy, I never saw it again.

Oh I did, when I threw it out at Easter!! Candy was always available at our house all the time. so Halloween was no big deal to have the candy so they would eat what they really liked the first week then it would just sit there and sit there till I would finally toss it like I said at Easter.

Easter bunny from last year anyone? found one sitting in my DS room.

Exactly. So while they are young and things like their health can be influenced by my husband and I, why not? Like I've said, we know they'll get older and do what they want, eating/drinking/activities, so we'd like to give them the best start possible.

That is where we started teaching moderation. :) we usually have cookies in the jar, and candy in the candy jar. It was no big deal. We cooked with whole grains because I liked to. But we didn't ban white bread. Etc

Oh I did, when I threw it out at Easter!! Candy was always available at our house all the time. so Halloween was no big deal to have the candy so they would eat what they really liked the first week then it would just sit there and sit there till I would finally toss it like I said at Easter.

Easter bunny from last year anyone? found one sitting in my DS room.

That was exactly how it was always here. Halloween candy thrown out when they started bringing home bags of candy from school from the Christmas parties and most of that at Easter.

None of them EVER finished all the candy from anything. Just wasn't that big of a deal to them.

They just didn't care that much about the candy. I think if I had kept it in a jar, doling out so many pieces a day, they would have actually eaten more than they ever did with the bags in their rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter