Giving candy when getting signatures

aaklang

Mouseketeer
I bought cute aprons for my kids to get signed by all the characters on board. I've seen several threads that suggest putting candy in with them as a treat for the CMs. My question is, do they REALLY want all that candy? It is too much and they end up throwing half of it away, or does it truly make them happy? I am more than happy to include it if it's really a welcome gift. I just don't want to if they're going to toss it. I remember my days working in an office and, while I loved free desserts that were left around, there were definitely times that I thought "STOP! No more junk. You're making me fat!!" :)

Am I going to get fewer autographs if I skip the candy?

Like I said, if the candy is really appreciated, I'm happy to give it. Just want to make sure!

You should know that the amount if items left for signatures is very small, therefore the amount of candy they get per sailing is nothing... And they have a lot of folks they can share with...

you could always give gum instead.Also with the candy dont give any that has nuts or chocolate cause chocolate.I gave with my matting 2 bags lifesavers and some gum.With my vinylmation I gave lifesavers

I bought cute aprons for my kids to get signed by all the characters on board. I've seen several threads that suggest putting candy in with them as a treat for the CMs. My question is, do they REALLY want all that candy? It is too much and they end up throwing half of it away, or does it truly make them happy? I am more than happy to include it if it's really a welcome gift. I just don't want to if they're going to toss it. I remember my days working in an office and, while I loved free desserts that were left around, there were definitely times that I thought "STOP! No more junk. You're making me fat!!" :)

Am I going to get fewer autographs if I skip the candy?

Like I said, if the candy is really appreciated, I'm happy to give it. Just want to make sure!

There have been many CMs that say they end of throwing most of the candy away.

Things to consider.......Signing items for passengers is done by CMs on their own time, outside the already long hours that they work. They are definately going above and beyond. A token gift is customary.

Also due to the long hours and rare days off in port it is hard for cast members to get out and get things that they need (toiletries etc) so they really have little time to shop for snacks etc.

There are a lot of CMs on the ship to share with if the treat is unwanted. It won't go to waste.

I've read posts here saying that they throw away a lot of candy, but this has not been confirmed by any CM.

As far as I know, the idea of submitting items for signatures is not posted anywhere official. Thus, relatively few guests know about it and even fewer submit items. While there is not a lot of interaction between departments, there are about 1000 CMs on the Magic at any given time. It seems to me that unopened packages of wrapped candy would be shared with the crew--maybe placed in the crew mess--before being thrown out.

You are certainly not required to give anything with your signature item. Whether or not you send a gift will not affect the signatures you do or don't get.

When I submitted our two Vinylmations to be signed, the woman at Guest Services listed on the form every single character on the ship who could possibly sign it. She even went into the back to check her memory against a list that they had. Sure enough, each of our Vinylmations came back with all of those signatures. They each have twenty autographs on them and are adorable. My children love them and so do I.

I did put candy in the bag with them, but she didn't comment on that at all.

Do you think there is something they might appreciate more than candy? Travel sized toiletries, granola bars, snack food, etc?

I definitely want to show our appreciation somehow, just want to make sure I'm giving them something they'd actually like to have.

Thanks for all the answers so far!

I'm not sure what to think about this whole candy situation... Being from the Hershey, PA area, we always take Hershey candy to give as 'extras' on top of our tips. On one of our cruises, we gave a bucket of Hershey miniatures to our server and assistant server early in the week, just to get them (the candy buckets) out of our room. Our server was a great guy whom we have had as a server on several of our cruises and with whom we keep in touch... Anyway, the next night at dinner, he said that word had spread about his bucket of Hershey chocolate, and he barely made it down the hallway to his room before most of the candy was 'shared' with other CMs popping out of their rooms to take a couple of pieces.

DisSarahK said:
When I submitted our two Vinylmations to be signed, the woman at Guest Services listed on the form every single character on the ship who could possibly sign it. She even went into the back to check her memory against a list that they had. Sure enough, each of our Vinylmations came back with all of those signatures. They each have twenty autographs on them and are adorable. My children love them and so do I.

I did put candy in the bag with them, but she didn't comment on that at all.

For some reason, I picture that there are about five to ten people who sit in assembly line fashion and do all the signatures between them. I highly doubt Cinderella only does the Cinderella signature and Mickey only does Mickey. I'm sure a few people do all of the sigs.

ranidayz said:
For some reason, I picture that there are about five to ten people who sit in assembly line fashion and do all the signatures between them. I highly doubt Cinderella only does the Cinderella signature and Mickey only does Mickey. I'm sure a few people do all of the sigs.

Not sure why I was quoted, but yes, I agree with you.

This is exactly right. Know for a fact.

I have always heard candy was appreciated too. I gave it with our signature packet as well. I also gave some to our stateroom host along with his tip envelope...well we never saw him so I left it out. I suppose if he didn't want it, he would've left it there.

The last couple cruises were the first times I left candy for autographs. I gave tic taks, gum, star-bursts and altoids. The last guest services CM who took our request commented that "they will love this!"

One of the items was a huge X-Mas stocking while we were on a X-Mas cruise. I requested if we could kindly get it back in 5 days by X-Mas eve. I received it the next day! Not sure if it had to do w/ the candy, but I was surprised.
It was only 3 autographs, but I will always give candy now.

I also give our room host any FE candy that is not something I would/could not get at home. They always seem to be happy with that small token.

Jill

Think about Halloween...

When the kids get the tons of candy, they sort it all out. A bunch gets thrown away. The noname candy, the lollipops, the candy corn, etc... The 'brand name' stuff stays.

I imagine here's the same...

We take and give chocolate covered macadamia nuts. Not really available anywhere else but Hawaii so the CMs on the Wonder were very appreciative (especially since many had been to Hawaii previously and remembered how awesome they are). In fact, the fellow that sold my parents DVC (I was in the room at the final signing, because it is really a gift for us), was actually astonished and so happy when I gave him two boxes that I had actually planned to give to someone else and was carrying.

I think bringing something super yummy and specific to where you are from is better than getting something they can get in any port. But that is just my opinion.

On our Dream cruise in May, we brought cans of Pringles chips to give with our photo mats. We had asked last cruise on the Wonder what they would appreciate except candy. The desk said they love chips too. So we thought the pringles would be great and easy to transport. When we gave our bag at Guest Services, the desk CMs all gathered around smiling and gawked at the the chips!! :goodvibes So I'm guessing they were a good change from candy.:thumbsup2. We brought them for the Counselors in the kids club too.

twopeasonepod said:
I think bringing something super yummy and specific to where you are from is better than getting something they can get in any port. But that is just my opinion.

So we are from NH, maybe I should give maple sugar candy? What do you think? I honestly don't know how many people like it, but it is a HUGE seller to the tourist population! I'm getting so excited, I love spreading happiness, I think that is why I am such a Disney addict!!!!

designertravels said:
The last couple cruises were the first times I left candy for autographs. I gave tic taks, gum, star-bursts and altoids. The last guest services CM who took our request commented that "they will love this!"

One of the items was a huge X-Mas stocking while we were on a X-Mas cruise. I requested if we could kindly get it back in 5 days by X-Mas eve. I received it the next day! Not sure if it had to do w/ the candy, but I was surprised.
It was only 3 autographs, but I will always give candy now.

I also give our room host any FE candy that is not something I would/could not get at home. They always seem to be happy with that small token.

Jill

I love the idea of getting a Xmas stocking signed. Did you get a felt one? What kind of pen did you use?

So we are from NH, maybe I should give maple sugar candy? What do you think? I honestly don't know how many people like it, but it is a HUGE seller to the tourist population! I'm getting so excited, I love spreading happiness, I think that is why I am such a Disney addict!!!!

We are also from NH and trying to figure out what to bring! While we're known for maple syrup, pressed apple cider and such, I know there's a kettle potato chip place down in Salem that does chocolate covered chips. I'm thinking about those! YUM... Haven't really decided yet. Considering pumpkin bread too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter