• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Giving away pins in the park?

I'm such a sap. I'm crying now

You're not a sap! I'm in tears and I'm quite "jaded." What a wonderful thing to do! We nor our DD collects pins but if one was given to her in such a way it would be valued magical treasure!

A few years ago we were in line at the dollar store and the woman in front of us noticed DD3 (at the time) was eyeing a big bell necklace right before Christmas. I'd told her no, and given the excuse we had our list and that was all we were getting that day. Not really wanting to say "no I don't want to hear that thing for the next 3 months." The woman grabs one of the necklaces, buys it and then turns around and hand it to my daughter, tell her to have a Merry Christmas. DD's eyes lit up and thanked the woman, along with me thanking her as well. DD is 5, almost 6 now and that necklace is still a part of our Christmas decor. Yes I had to hear it ding and what not for 3 months, but somehow it wasn't annoying at all. Yeah it was just a dollar store necklace, but the kindness behind it is what has made it so special.

I would suggest as others have, if it's an official child ;) talk to the parents first. Maybe find a few happy birthday people to give the pins too, as well as those wearing the 1st visit buttons as well. I have a feeling you'll know who would really treasure this magic. Wonderful idea! :thumbsup2

I suppose that I'd think it was suspect...and weird.

As a DISer, I think it is super-nice!

But as a person going about my life, I wouldn't want strangers offering stuff to my kids. Taking stuff from strangers is something that I would discourage. I'd also wonder what was wrong with someone who was doing such a thing, lol.

Some of the most fun pin gifts have been the ones that I have made to adults. At Epcot a few years ago, there was an middle aged sort of rough looking biker dude. Black t-shirt, leather vest with patches, shorts and boots. He was there with his "old lady" and her "rug rats". He was hanging around Pin Central looking at pins with some level of curiousity. I was there solo and had been observing people giving him some not so nice or approving looks as they passed by. I, having never met a stranger, asked him if he liked to collect or trade pins. He offered up that it was his first trip and a dream come true because he never thought that he would ever get to come to WDW. The little kid in him was just completely giddy. He had some motorcycle related pins on his vest and he was looking for a black and white Mickey pin if they had one, which they didn't, but I did in my traders. I gave it to him along with a "my first visit" pin and a couple for each of the kids. He was floored and introduced me to the family and told me that if nothing else was magical about the rest of his stay, that I had made his first trip to WDW extra special by showing that nice people still exist. I sure wasn't going for the compliment, but I was glad that such a simple gesture could melt away tough biker dude and let that little 8 year old inner child come out to play. :thumbsup2

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

I have done this once. Was at POFQ, went down to the food court after having fallen asleep in my clothes in the room (all that touring, what's a girl to do ;) ). There was a young girl there with her parents. I guess she had just started the whole pin trading thing, and a CM at the front desk had printed out that years hidden mickey pins for her. She's sitting at the table unfolding it and studying it very intently. As my dad and I went passed, I mentioned that I wished I had grabbed my lanyard of traders before we left the room... well pixie dust be as it may, I reached my hand down and noticed I had somehow slept in my jeans with a pin in my pocket! :rotfl: It was one of the hidden mickey pins and we went to her table where I said I saw she was begining her collection and asked her parents if I could give her the pin. They were beyond shocked but she was happily able to have it. I'm not sure if I enjoyed the look on her face or her parents more :goodvibes

Good luck and I think that's an amazing thing to do!

I suppose that I'd think it was suspect...and weird.

As a DISer, I think it is super-nice!

But as a person going about my life, I wouldn't want strangers offering stuff to my kids. Taking stuff from strangers is something that I would discourage. I'd also wonder what was wrong with someone who was doing such a thing, lol.

In real life, I would discourage my (hypothetical-not-yet-conceived) kids from taking gifts from strangers. In Disney, however, I feel like it's a bit of a different culture. I give away pins, glow sticks, stickers, etc. I always ask the parents first if it is ok.

I think it's a great idea. I generosity in the parks not only makes someone else's day but it will make theirs as well.
Me and My fiancee have given away lots from Fast Passes we weren't going to use to quick service meals on our meal plan. One of my favorite Disney memories was on our first trip and we had 5 meals left over on our last day :confused3 so while waiting for the 3:00 parade at MK I ran into Pecos Bill's. I saw a mom standing in front of the menu with her 3 kids. I come to find out it was their first trip to Disney and they weren't really "expecting" the prices so they've been splitting meals. I got them all lunch and the mother was just floored. So I think it's really great when guests make a little magic for each other. :thumbsup2

In real life, I would discourage my (hypothetical-not-yet-conceived) kids from taking gifts from strangers. In Disney, however, I feel like it's a bit of a different culture. I give away pins, glow sticks, stickers, etc. I always ask the parents first if it is ok.

When your hypothetical child falls down in the store or playground and starts screaming because of an owie that you can't even see and someone gives you a Muppets band-aid and some stickers that delights little hypothetical such that the situation is totally diffused . . . well, you get it. There are lots of really nice people in the world. Now I always try to carry cool band-aids and stickers in my purse even though my DD is turning 17 in a couple of weeks.

We were at Disneyquest on the last day of our late August stay. There were 7 in our group (including kids) and 6 of us were pin trading. We got into the elevator with another family and heard their kids whispering among themselves. When they we all got off of the elevator they kept looking at the lanyard of one of the people in our group. The mom asked us where we had gotten our 3D pins. Apparently the kids had seen some other people with some of the 3D vinylmations and were wondering where they could get some. I told her that the Disney outlet by our house had put them on clearance and that we had purchased them as traders. Well it just so happens that we had enough left to give to the kids. They were thrilled!! It felt great. I say go for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter