Give me your best "GF in Disney" tips!

MommyBryn

DIS Veteran
I can't have gluten, but this is the first trip we've taken where I have a child who can't either. Last time I just managed on my own, which isn't a big deal as an adult. It's a little more difficult with a child who can't skip meals as easily or is a bit pickier than me. ;) I understand Disney is great for accommodating to this, but I'd love to hear your simple tips at making eating GF in Disney something that isn't overwhelming!

• Research restaurants ahead of time... I have found this useful http://www.glutenfreedairyfreewdw.com/menus/ (disclaimer: it is not comprehensive and these menus are subject to change, but give you an idea of what might be available and help you choose what looks good to your family)
  • Always mark your allergies/intolerances on your reservations (table service)
  • Ask for an allergen menu (table service or quick service)
  • Ask to speak with a chef if you are uncomfortable or unsure what to order (table service or quick service)
  • There is a kiosk in Animal Kingdom with allergy friendly treats called Terra Treats
  • Erin Mckenna bakery in Disney Springs has all sorts of gluten-free goodies
  • Enjoy the easiest place in the world to enjoy delicious and safe food while on vacation!!!!

Google "Gluten Free at Disney". There are two awesome sites-- one is Alexis' GF Adventures (author used to be in Orlando area, but has moved & continues to review & blog) AND a GF /Dairy Free in WDW site. Both have excellent reviews of nearly every restaurant. The second has posted most of the Disney allergy menus--which really makes planning ahead easy as you can see if there's something you & your kiddo will like or if you'll need to speak to a chef to see what adjustments can be made. I'm not Celiac but have a really nasty gluten intolerance that can ruin the day if I'm not eating clean.
Disney is heaven in that I can have awesome choices there & feel good.

Biggest tip is just be prepared to wait the extra 5-15 min for extra prep time...and then enjoy GF Mickey waffles every day!!! (If on site with food court)...I love POFQ for that reason. This past trip I was in love with Blaze pizza in Dis Springs---legitimately the 1st GF pizza I've had that even was good as COLD leftovers later in the room. How old is your kiddo? I can list my favorites by park if you like.

• Research restaurants ahead of time... I have found this useful http://www.glutenfreedairyfreewdw.com/menus/ (disclaimer: it is not comprehensive and these menus are subject to change, but give you an idea of what might be available and help you choose what looks good to your family)
  • Always mark your allergies/intolerances on your reservations (table service)
  • Ask for an allergen menu (table service or quick service)
  • Ask to speak with a chef if you are uncomfortable or unsure what to order (table service or quick service)
  • There is a kiosk in Animal Kingdom with allergy friendly treats called Terra Treats
  • Erin Mckenna bakery in Disney Springs has all sorts of gluten-free goodies
  • Enjoy the easiest place in the world to enjoy delicious and safe food while on vacation!!!!

Thank you!! We will be eating mostly QS and maybe only one or two reservations the whole trip, so I will remember that when making reservations.

Google "Gluten Free at Disney". There are two awesome sites-- one is Alexis' GF Adventures (author used to be in Orlando area, but has moved & continues to review & blog) AND a GF /Dairy Free in WDW site. Both have excellent reviews of nearly every restaurant. The second has posted most of the Disney allergy menus--which really makes planning ahead easy as you can see if there's something you & your kiddo will like or if you'll need to speak to a chef to see what adjustments can be made. I'm not Celiac but have a really nasty gluten intolerance that can ruin the day if I'm not eating clean.
Disney is heaven in that I can have awesome choices there & feel good.

Biggest tip is just be prepared to wait the extra 5-15 min for extra prep time...and then enjoy GF Mickey waffles every day!!! (If on site with food court)...I love POFQ for that reason. This past trip I was in love with Blaze pizza in Dis Springs---legitimately the 1st GF pizza I've had that even was good as COLD leftovers later in the room. How old is your kiddo? I can list my favorites by park if you like.

Is POFQ the only one that does the GF waffles? We will be at Boardwalk. I didn't eat any breakfasts at the resort last time (we were at Beach Club) and back when we stayed at CBR and POR I didn't have restrictions (well, I didn't KNOW I had restrictions at the time. ;) ).

I'd love QS and snack ideas if you want to throw out some of your favs! My GF is 9. Good to know about the pizza in DS!

The allergy chicken tenders are my go-to for counter service at Columbia Harbor House in MK and at Backlot Express in HS.

And...popcorn is GF and vegan at Disney--so those refillable popcorn buckets are a nice "normal" treat that can be refilled in ALL 4 parks. If I remember correctly the Carmel corn option at HS is also GF

GF waffles are just about everywhere. Some chefs do a better job with them than others & I think there are 2 GF mixes that different restaurants use. I've never had a "bad" Mickey waffle, lol, but some are just better. You should be able to find them lots of places! :)

They had them at Garden Grill in May when we did the character breakfast there. GG is my current favorite TS breakfast (even though the die for cinnamon rolls are not GF). I got a separate plate of everything else and it was ALL delish!

This past trip I was in love with Blaze pizza in Dis Springs---legitimately the 1st GF pizza I've had that even was good as COLD leftovers later in the room. How old is your kiddo? I can list my favorites by park if you like.

Yes!!! I forgot about this - I haven't been to the one in Disney Springs, but tried it in another city while on vacation and I actually cried with joy!

Yes!!! I forgot about this - I haven't been to the one in Disney Springs, but tried it in another city while on vacation and I actually cried with joy!
Nothing like trying to eat your fill before GF pizza cools down, knowing you'll throw the rest away as the texture disinigrates, lol. I know my family thought I was nuts raving about cold pizza at midnight-but I was amazed that it wasn't horrible for once.
I think there's one about an hour from my home, but I haven't made it there yet.

Dole Whips are gluten free & dairy free!

Mickey Waffles: http://www.glutenfreedairyfreewdw.com/allergy-mickey-waffle-locations/ I find that the middles tend to get gummy, so I ask for mine to be cooked "extra-crispy".

Sunshine Seasons in Epcot is a good quick-service for finding gluten-free foods.... and the have the EnjoyLife chocolate chip cookies! Also, Gluten Free Dairy Free WDW site also has come Top Ten Lists to help you narrow down your quick service selections.

And my favorite table service for special gluten-free foods is 50s Prime Time in Hollywood Studios because I can get real southern fried chicken (my favorite food from my gluten filled days) and s'mores for dessert... both gluten free!!!!! (Some people say you need to contact the restaurant ahead of time to order the fried chicken so they can heat up the gf fryers, but last time we were there our server told us that wasn't really necessary since they have the fryers going every day now that they have developed the allergen menus.)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter