Give me internet !

I just thought since it was not only a deluxe resort, but a Villa, that comes complete with a washer/dryer, microwave, refidgerator etc. that they could throw that in. I certainly wouldn't be online all day long, but as others said, just at night or in the morning to check some things (primarily my Farmville and other game addictions :)) But I guess, what's another 100 bucks after I have already spent what I did on the Villa. Dinsey wins every time with me.

This subject always irritates my DH, as he feels the same way as the OP. I, on the other hand, prefer to pay extra for the services I use, and not have to pay for those that I don't. If WDW offered their internet service for "free," it would be included in every room charge for every night. I compare it to the valet parking charge; those that use it, pay - those that don't, don't.

I prefer to pay it separately, as we don't use the internet every single day of our trip.

This is exactly how I feel about Magical Express. The price/cost is built into the room rates but we will never ever use this service.

This is exactly how I feel about Magical Express. The price/cost is built into the room rates but we will never ever use this service.

I see that a bit differently.

I think ME is an expense that Disney wouldn't mind paying, because for about 85 - 90 percent of the time, it keeps you on-site because you haven't rented a car for the entire week.

Offering the car rental on property are for people who only would need it to go off-site for the day to other parks. But they will eventually come back to Disney.

I think it is good insurance for Disney that you won't leave.

Well with the major hoteliers if you are part of the loyalty program you get free internet access and other perks disney does not offer. I know with Hilton I am never charged for the internet since I travel often with them and am gold in their program. They also give me several free nights a year and other perks.

I wonder why disney doesnt have a program like this to fill the rooms other than the mass discounting. It would seem to be better to keep your frequent customers happy instead of just throwing discounts when you want rooms full. Disney hospitality is different than any other hotel chain I have worked for. I have worked for Disney world, Hilton and Marriott.

Disney does have a loyalty program for their cruise line and that was needed to keep people coming back with perks instead of sailing the other lines.

Just some of my thoughts

Yep!! I savor that $10/day when I'm staying DVC..

Do they charge when you trade in. I am coming in December and staying at the beach club using my Hilton points? I have oftened wondered that, when you stay at a hilton club resort weither direct or trading in internet is complimentary.

Well with the major hoteliers if you are part of the loyalty program you get free internet access and other perks disney does not offer. I know with Hilton I am never charged for the internet since I travel often with them and am gold in their program. They also give me several free nights a year and other perks.

I wonder why disney doesnt have a program like this to fill the rooms other than the mass discounting. It would seem to be better to keep your frequent customers happy instead of just throwing discounts when you want rooms full. Disney hospitality is different than any other hotel chain I have worked for. I have worked for Disney world, Hilton and Marriott.

Disney does have a loyalty program for their cruise line and that was needed to keep people coming back with perks instead of sailing the other lines.

Just some of my thoughts

I think WDW hotels aren't really comparable to Hilton/Marriott/Hyatt.

If I travel to, say, Chicago, I have the choice a number of brands in the same general area. The fact that Hilton will give me free internet and an upgrade (since I'm Gold) would sway me to choose the Hilton over the (hypothetically) the Marriott, since the other differences are not huge

However, when I travel to Disney, my decision to stay onsite or off site, would only minimally be swayed by this. Other factors (DME, EMH, proximity to parks, etc.) are far more important.

I could see it working better at DL, where many of the off-site hotels are almost as close as the DL hotels. And, I suspect it works amongst the off-site hotels and the Starwood program likely sways some people to the Swan/Dolphin over the WDW hotels.

I think that the cruise lines are more like DL - the difference between DCL and RCCL (or another line) are not as stark as between on-site/off-site at WDW.

I agree with other that there is a reverse association between the daily hotel rate and the likelihood of free internet. Hilton Garden Inns and Hamptons offer free internet to all, whereas Hiltons and Waldorf-Astorias (for the most part) do not. Same thing within the Marriott family of hotels (and probably others, I'm just most familiar with these two chains).

I see that a bit differently.

I think ME is an expense that Disney wouldn't mind paying, because for about 85 - 90 percent of the time, it keeps you on-site because you haven't rented a car for the entire week.

Offering the car rental on property are for people who only would need it to go off-site for the day to other parks. But they will eventually come back to Disney.

I think it is good insurance for Disney that you won't leave.

Disney doesn't pay that expense. All the guests of Disney resorts pay that fee.

And you are 1000% right - it's an added perk intended to keep guests on Disney property just like the dining plans. It's just when people start talking about not wanting to pay for something they don't want to use such as the internet, this is what pops in my mind. I don't use it, never will, but it's included in my resort rates no matter what. I am not saying the internet charges should be absorbed into everyone's room rate either but it's the same principle.

We just got back from a six night stay at BWV. I took my laptop fully intending to check my email every morning. When I got up the first day I looked out of the window at the lovely view of the pool, the waterway and the TOT in the distance. I looked at the cable in my hand, read the first line of the instructions on the bag and promptly put the cable back into the bag, put the laptop away and never looked at it again! :rotfl:

I agree I wish they would offer WiFi(free or not), If I remember correctly there is no WiFi in the rooms but I know at the BC I could use the WiFi for free in the lobby and at Stormalong bay.

I also wish there was a Starbucks in every lobby:lmao:. Its good to have dreams.

And one final thing to ponder.....just because it says 'free internet' on the sign outside the hotel doesn't mean they haven't bumped their room rates up a bit to cover it. :)

This is exactly what I was thinking. There are some people that do not use their laptop while on vacation and do not want to pay for "free internet"; like me. I also believe that the cost is hidden in the price of the room. I believe people that want to use the internet should be the ones that pay for its use. Instead of spreading it out to everyone that books a room with them, including the ones that are without laptops or other devices that are able to connect to it.

Because our son is a freshman in college this year, this will be the first vacation we are going to bring the laptop along. In order to keep in touch with him if something is needed. I just accept the fact that there will be an additional fee tacked on to our bill at the end of our vacation.

Seriously, while I understand your need to have internet, in Disney, they want you to be out of your room spending money in the parks and in the restaurants. It is not like the standard hotel experience.

They don't want you staying in the room surfing the net all day. If you want to, then you should have to pay for it.

Why would Disney want you in the parks? They are making money on you by staying in your overpriced (by outside WDW rates) room.

get an Android phone and tether for Internet access. That's what I'm doing :)

Same here but with my BlackBerry. I am going down for work training so I need to be online during my work week to check up on things.

This is exactly what I was thinking. There are some people that do not use their laptop while on vacation and do not want to pay for "free internet"; like me. I also believe that the cost is hidden in the price of the room. I believe people that want to use the internet should be the ones that pay for its use. Instead of spreading it out to everyone that books a room with them, including the ones that are without laptops or other devices that are able to connect to it.

Because our son is a freshman in college this year, this will be the first vacation we are going to bring the laptop along. In order to keep in touch with him if something is needed. I just accept the fact that there will be an additional fee tacked on to our bill at the end of our vacation.

We do not use many things in room. I personally never use iron but it is still there. Internet is everyday thing, norm of life. Room price goes up anyway with internet or not, so maybe it is time to put internet there like many other hotels did, or take away iron, fridge, coffe maker and lower room price, let everyone pay for items they need.

Now, I love Disney World and I go every year no matter what. I normally stay in a value or moderate resort. This year, I decided to splurge and booked a stay in a one bedroom villa in Saratoga Springs. I'm giving WDW $3000 to stay and still there needs to be an additional fee for interent? Come on! You'd think that the fact that Im staying in a deluxe resort, they could include interent in that cost. Just my 2 cents, thanks for reading! :flower3:

As others have stated WDW is actually reasonable.
As an example Grand Wailea in Maui Hawaii - you pay a $25 per night resort fee that includes free internet but if you want a super hi speed then they charge you another $20 on top of it. Parking is also $20 per night and this for rooms that START at $500 per night

They aren't the only ones. Stay at a Four Seasons or Ritz - internet isn't free either

I just returned from a trip to california - only 1 out of 4 hotels offered free internet. The other 3 ranged in price from 10 to 15 bucks a day.

It bugs me that McDonalds, Panera Bread, etc offer it for free, but hotels don't!

I find it incredible they don't have free WiFi. When you consider just about every hotel offers free internet these days, it is very surprising. I don't think many people would be staying in their rooms surfing the web. Most people would probably just spend a little time checking their email and such before going to bed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter