Give me all the reasons to cruise in January

acooper

Earning My Ears
Because of work and school, January is the only month that will feasibly work for us to cruise. Does anyone have good experiences with cruising that month? My kids will be 12, 10 and 5 when we go and I want them to experience as much as they possibly can. Please tell me it's not too cold!! Also, is the eastern or western cruise warmer that time of year???

Because of work and school, January is the only month that will feasibly work for us to cruise. Does anyone have good experiences with cruising that month? My kids will be 12, 10 and 5 when we go and I want them to experience as much as they possibly can. Please tell me it's not too cold!! Also, is the eastern or western cruise warmer that time of year???

We personally find the water temps rather cool for our liking,however the air temps are good.

Hi Audra,

This is a common question, and for good reason. It's scary to think of spending all that money on a cruise and then freeze the whole time! Good news, though... January is a fine time to cruise. Many people prefer it to the hotter months, including me. Our first DCL (eastern) was in January, and also my 3rd (4 nighter). On the longer cruises, you go so far south that the weather will usually be warm regardless. On our eastern it was nippy in Port Canaveral, but as we sailed south the weather warmed considerably. St. Thomas hovers around an 80 average in January. St. Martin was warm as well. Castaway Cay was low 70's, too cold to swim for some, but wonderful for being on the island anyway. Not sure of the western weather at that time of year, but I'm guessing it's pretty nice as well. I would not hesitate to book January again. :)

We personally find the water temps rather cool for our liking,however the air temps are good.

Same here, but you could maybe get little shorty wetsuits... that's what I use for winter cruising, when I don't want to let cool water stop me from getting in.

I think the Western (esp Cozumel and Grand Cayman) waters are more likely to be warm.

Thanks for the quick replies! keep them coming! I'm getting more and more excited!! We will be doing the 7 day, just not sure whether to do Eastern or Western.

We're booked for a January cruise. What I found helpful was going and reading the trip reports from this January, particularly the same week we are going next year. Also, we did not get in any of the pools at all when we went in August so I am not to worried about that, though I will be sad if it is too cold at CC. I have hope though because it sounds like water temps at CC are pretty equivalent to Lake Michigan and that I can handle so maybe we will be fine. Here's to awesome cruises for both of us! :wizard:

We're booked for a January cruise. What I found helpful was going and reading the trip reports from this January, particularly the same week we are going next year. Also, we did not get in any of the pools at all when we went in August so I am not to worried about that, though I will be sad if it is too cold at CC. I have hope though because it sounds like water temps at CC are pretty equivalent to Lake Michigan and that I can handle so maybe we will be fine. Here's to awesome cruises for both of us! :wizard:

Um... I'm hoping you are comparing CC in January to Lake Michigan in August. Not you know... speaking generally.

We cruised Jan 24th on the Magic-Western. The weather was beautiful!!!
We spent a few days pre cruise in Florida and the weather was cool. The day we arrived back in Port Canaveral it was nippy. We are planning on doing the Eastern Jan/2010. I truly believe that the weather is always going to be hit and miss. We just never know. However as others have said you are going far enough south that it will get warmer.

do you really NEED a reason to cruise?????

ok - how about - because it's not home:thumbsup2

seriously - we used to go to wdw in january - i know it's now on the water but a cruise goes even further south. we didn't swim because it was too cool and i've never been to the islands but my gf used to go to porta plata and live on the beach. actually come to think of it i dont know if she ever went in the water - she just talked about resting a hangover :scared1: :lmao: :lmao:

Same here, but you could maybe get little shorty wetsuits... that's what I use for winter cruising, when I don't want to let cool water stop me from getting in.

I think the Western (esp Cozumel and Grand Cayman) waters are more likely to be warm.

If I am spending 4-5k on a cruise you can bet it will not be in a 1/2 suit :rotfl2: :rotfl2: I cruise for destination and water (temps):thumbsup2

Rob

Go to weather dot com to see what the fl and Nassau temps were for January and you will have a general idea. However, I feel like this January was unusually cold for here in Orlando. January weather is definitely hit or miss and since CC is right off our coast their weather is pretty similar. If you're not stuck on DCL you could consider another line that leaves out of Miami or San Juan and only goes to Eastern or Southern Caribbean stops.

You can get great deals.
The pools are heated.
My DD and DH thought the water was fine.
Air temp CC was 80 degress Home 25

If I am spending 4-5k on a cruise you can bet it will not be in a 1/2 suit :rotfl2: :rotfl2: I cruise for destination and water (temps):thumbsup2

Rob

Yeah, but if you have no choice when you take the vacation, wearing a shorty wetsuit over your swimsuit is not that big a concession to aid your enjoyment.

Um... I'm hoping you are comparing CC in January to Lake Michigan in August. Not you know... speaking generally.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Yes, exactly CC to MI in August not Jan to Jan.....isn't that the polar plunge??? :laughing: I actually have 2 friends that did that this past weekend. CRAZY!!! :rotfl2:

Done 2 cruises in January, one during a huge Florida Freeze. Water was fine, only got coolish when you got out when the air temperature was close to the water temperature.

We are doing our first Disney cruise Jan 17, 2010. I am hoping for nice weather. Of course, any weather tends to be better than what we are leaving!

We are locked into winter travel due to Dh's job. We usually go in Feb, but the price was nicer in Jan. Pres. week prices were crazy. We picked our week because it has MLK day in there and that's one less day the boy will have to be absent from school. He will also be 12, btw.

We've cruised the first eastern in January for the past six years and every time the weather has been very nice. We've never had a problem with the water. We live in Huntington Beach, Ca so we are experienced witht he ocean--although the Caribbean is much warmer than the Pacific. Go for it--every cruise has been wonderful. ALready booked for next year

We cruised the Eastern this year, leaving PC on 1/17/09. Weather was nippy but remember we were coming from a cold snap in the Northeast so the temps were in the single digits at home.

Weather was about 60 degrees in PC. Didn't stop DD from getting in the pool while we were still in port. Crazy girl!! It was nippy on deck the first full sea day. We wore hoodies but I'm always cold so I may not be the best judge. It was noticeably warmer on the second full sea day and by the time we reached St. Martin it was hot. :cool1: In fact I came home with a nice crispy burn thanks to me soaking up the rays and forgetting the sun block. :sad2:
It was well into the 80s in St. Martin and probably high 70s, low 80s in St. Thomas. We didn't have a sunny day so that probably helped keep the temps low.
CC was absolutely beautiful weather but a bit on the chilly side after the other islands. I would put the temps in the low 70s. Water was on the nippy side and I got in up to mid-thigh. Again, lots of people were swimming and snorkeling including DD.

We had a fabulous time and would do it again in January. And we only picked this date as a birthday present to DD but getting away from single digits was definitely a bonus!! :thumbsup2 Enjoy your trip. :)

We just went in January on the Western and had amazing weather. We snorkeled in the Cayman Islands and it was a little chilly getting out of the water but it's like that sometimes here at home in the summer. Also, our ship was not completely full so that was nice too. I say, definately go in January, we'd go back in a second.:woohoo:

P.S. Our kids are 11, 9, 6 & 2 and there were plenty of other kids on the ships for them to play with.

Our first Disney cruise was mid-January 2005 on a Western. Weather was cloudy, cool, and rainy. The seas were quite rough, causing a number of disappointments, including frequent closing of the ship's pools due to sloshing of the water, cancellation of all water sports at Key West, missing Grand Cayman altogether as it was too rough to tender, and-- worst of all-- missing Castaway Cay after three unsuccessful attempts to dock. Did we have a GREAT time anyway? You bet :thumbsup2 But some other passengers were cranky and screamed at the crew, as if it was their fault. We enjoyed the hot, sunny weather of our Sept. 06 cruise a lot more (but took a big chance there on hurricanes!), but we'd consider January again. Just go knowing that prices are lower because it may not be "ideal" weather and be flexible, roll with the waves! :umbrella: On the other hand, if the possibility of missing a port or CC would leave you forever angry or heartbroken, then do give it careful thought. Happy sailing! pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter