Give Kids The World Advice....

griffwad83

Earning My Ears
...Hi Everyone.

My First Post Here so please gentle :hippie:

in 7 weeks time, thanks to the magical people at Make A Wish , My Wife, 5 yr old son, who has Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia and myself and going to Give Kids the world. Flying from Manchester with Virgin Atlantic.

This will be the first time we have been and to say he's excited is an understatment!!.

The Reason for my post is to see if any other users/posters have been to GKTW, it looks magical and while there website and videos are extremely helpful in regards to planning, i thought i would if any others would like to share there experiences and and any additional advice would be fantastic.

Also, any advice in regards to the general use of the Disney parks would be great, as were just starting our research now, as planning seems to be essential.

It will also his first time flying and he so excitied about that too, and i have told that flying with Virgin is as good as it gets in the air, which is great.

It's going to be an actioned packed 5 days at Disney/Universal & possibly sea world.

Thanks in advance all

Regards

Richard :wizard:

I only have a few minutes right now, but I bet you did not find this thread:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3084932

It is all about Wish trips.
Post one of that thread has a lot of links and information that will be helpful.

You can also find posts from other people who have been there and ask your questions there.

Hi there.

Many thanks for the reply and I will head over there now. Tom has just again (like he does every night!) How many more sleeps until we go :-)

Rich

I am a volunteer coordinator for GKTW.
Maybe I can help here a little.

share their experiences and and any additional advice would be fantastic.
. . . look for the GKTW Greeter in Baggage Claim at the airport
. . . they will be your first experience with GKTW volunteers and staff
. . . first, except some souvenirs, EVERYTHING on-site is FREE, FREE, FREE
. . . this includes activities, restaurant food, pizza delivery, etc
. . . you can even have all the ice cream you want AT BREAKFAST

Also, any advice in regards to the general use of the Disney parks would be great, as were just starting our research now, as planning seems to be essential.
. . . just go to Guest Service at a park and a DAS disabilities card
. . . if you child qualifies, this can help with rise wait times

It will also his first time flying and he so excited about that too, and i have told that flying with Virgin is as good as it gets in the air, which is great.
. . . yep
. . . Virgin (from personal experience) is one of the best airlines

It's going to be an actioned packed 5 days at Disney/Universal & possibly sea world.
. . . I think you got the idea right

There is a special version of the DAS (Disability Service Access) for kids on Wish trips.
You will get it thru your Wish granting organization.

from our trip, you will not be able to do everything on your trip. just enough time for everything. also check out activities at Give Kids The World and plan on the ones you want. if they are still doing Mayor Clayton tucking in kids at night do that one night. do the characters there when you can and there are "angels" who will use your camera and take pics of whole family. if enough time bet your son will enjoy horse rides and Ole Elmer the sleeping tree. we got the pic disk from Disney but also a disk of the pics taken by GKTW. enjoy your trip

Don't try to do too much! Not worth it to kill yourselves.

Once you get 10 posts and can send a private message, message me your mailing address and child's favorite charactor. I'm going to the world next week and I'll send him a card from "fairy grandmother" ;)

You'll learn a ton on the wish thread. Lots of people over there who've "been there done that" . In each park there is a place where your wish child can take a break - locations should be in the packet you will get during your orientation.

Read the wish trip trip reports. There are links to a LOT of them in the first post on the wish thread.

Take an extra, empty suitcase or duffle for the loot you will collect. Even if you don't purchase a thing, you *will* collect stuff!

That's all I can think of at the moment.

The place is AMAZING.. and yes, you get tickets for all the major parks, plus off site activities. There is no way to do everything they give you. Once you get there, you have a meeting of sorts where they give you a packet with all your tickets and the list of things that go on at GKTW.

Also...VERY IMPORTANT!!! Bring an extra suitcase. Everyday that you come back to your room, you will find presents from Mayor Clayton :)

Have an awesome time!!!

as pp said, you will need extra suitcase room for the trip home as you will get a lot to bring home. allow time to do some of the things at GKTW. have a great trip

I am a volunteer coordinator for GKTW.
Maybe I can help here a little.

share their experiences and and any additional advice would be fantastic.
. . . look for the GKTW Greeter in Baggage Claim at the airport
. . . they will be your first experience with GKTW volunteers and staff
. . . first, except some souvenirs, EVERYTHING on-site is FREE, FREE, FREE
. . . this includes activities, restaurant food, pizza delivery, etc
. . . you can even have all the ice cream you want AT BREAKFAST

. . . just go to Guest Service at a park and a DAS disabilities card
. . . if you child qualifies, this can help with rise wait times

It will also his first time flying and he so excited about that too, and i have told that flying with Virgin is as good as it gets in the air, which is great.
. . . yep
. . . Virgin (from personal experience) is one of the best airlines

. . . I think you got the idea right

Hi

Thank you very much for your reply. Lots of great information we shall take on board.

I hope all the "makeover" goes well from next week for you all.

See you soon!

Richard

Hi all

A Big Thank you to all of you who have taken the time to reply.

One common theme, Pack light as we will be coming home with a lot more than we went with :)

I've read some of the post trip reviews, and some said their children got gifts everyday.

It looks such an magical and an inspirational place.

Richard

Hi all

A Big Thank you to all of you who have taken the time to reply.

One common theme, Pack light as we will be coming home with a lot more than we went with :)

I've read some of the post trip reviews, and some said their children got gifts everyday.

It looks such an magical and an inspirational place.

Richard

I know everyone gave you great advice but found this video most if it other poster said but it a nice welcome video made by give kids the world.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OuQO-NAvwSc

Their also other videos about it on you tube

We will be heading to GKTW in 9 weeks!! we are all so excited!!! too bad we won't cross paths :)

we got small gifts each day plus few larger ones and that included all the kids, not just the wish child even though some times they were different gifts but the did not have names on them. this included 3 cowboy hats from horse back riding. have a great time and take lots of pic. allow time to do some things at GKTW around park trips. plan your park time and GKTW times as there will not be enough time to do everything you want. enjoy the meals at GKTW and make sure to have ice cream for breakfast at least once plus order pizza at least once

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter