Give-a-Day, Get-a-day: Is it working for you?

You may want to look for some that have you click for specifics. I found Project Linus that way. They collect handmade blankets for children in hospitals and shelters. This is something that my son (6) will be able to help with and I love the fact that it benefits a child.

I almost skipped over that one since I didn't see dates, but I found out that you make the blanket and bring it to the coordinators office on your "day". She then sends the info to Disney.

OK...I should have read the other posts. I see that someone else mentioned Linus too!!!

http://www.handsonnetwork.org/disney/virtualprojects/domestic

For those who cannot find a project locally, or age appropriate - these are two great options, and we'll be making blankets for the Linus Project!

KC:santa:

Careful with this one!! The blankets must be hand-delivered by everyone in the family who is participating (at least for the one I was hoping to sign up with). So make sure you don't choose a location that's too far away.

I was so excited at first to find this opportunity, since our children (7 and 11)could actually participate. But, since the closest one to us is over three hours away, I'm back to searching for something else we can do.

Everytime I try to log on the Disney site it tells me that it's not recognizing my email and password. When I go to the handson network and have them send me a new password, I go back to the Disney site and it tells me it doesn't recognize the e-mail or password. Guess I'll probably just let this one go.

I had problems getting into the system to register the first day but was able to get in the next day.
Signed my DH and myself up for blanket making on Feb 5.

I was under the impression that we would be making the blankets on that day.
If it snowed then we would have to make the blankets ourselves.

Had problems trying to sign up DS. (he is away at college and has to do his volunteering in Pittsburgh)
When I closed out of the program and went back in I had no problems. DS will work at a food pantry.

Hopefully all will go well.

Denise

I think the project Linus group has lots of local chapters, and the rules/terms may be different for each, so be sure to check the details for the particular group you're looking at.

For the one I signed up with here in NH, I can mail the blankets to them when they are completed, but it sounds like other chapters actually meet in person and make the blankets on a specific day, and some require you to hand deliver. Be sure to clarify before you sign up.

We were able to find a project that our entire family could do...it is convenient because it is a set criteria of what you have to complete, but you can do it any time (within the timeframe set for completion). We will have two weeks so it shouldn't be a problem. That was THE only option in our area for kids, though.

For those who cannot find a project locally, or age appropriate - these are two great options, and we'll be making blankets for the Linus Project!

Can you help me with this? I downloaded the PDF at this link, and my family is very interested in doing the Story Time from the Front Lines project. However, I have read the instructions several times and still can't figure out how to sign up. On page 2 of the PDF, under #1, it says "Follow the instructions in the e-mail you received..." but I didn't get an e-mail, I just followed the link KCMiller posted. How do I get an e-mail or otherwise sign up/register for this project? BTW, when I go to the Disney Give a Day Web site, this project doesn't come up for me when I enter my zip code... so I don't think I can sign up that way? HELP!?!?!?! :confused3

Thank you for sharing that. It will work so much better for us as most everything around here is during school or early Saturday mornings or I cannot do due to medical. I already do a lot of volunteering with youth organizations but wanted to involve my youngest more. The older kids have volunteered for a while as well.

Thank you - exactly what I was looking for! So it looks like if we are signed up through the Disney Program all we have to do is make the blankets and send them. I'd love to do it with my Brownie Troop but I'm afraid the fleece might get too expensive since we have 20 girls who would all want to make their own blanket. But I could do it with my family and find somehting else to do with the troop.

What about doing the book drive with your Brownie troop??

Careful with this one!! The blankets must be hand-delivered by everyone in the family who is participating (at least for the one I was hoping to sign up with). So make sure you don't choose a location that's too far away.

I was so excited at first to find this opportunity, since our children (7 and 11)could actually participate. But, since the closest one to us is over three hours away, I'm back to searching for something else we can do.

This is not true. I think it depends on location but there are several Project Linus Chapters that will accept the blankets mailed to them. I know one in Ill will allow you to mail them in as I emailed and asked her. Their requirement is either 2 blankets per person or 4 preemie blankets per person.

Am I missing something with Project Linus? When I downloaded, it said that all blankets must be mailed to their headquarters. Did I not understand that correctly? Why are so many people hand-delivering?

This is not true. I think it depends on location but there are several Project Linus Chapters that will accept the blankets mailed to them. I know one in Ill will allow you to mail them in as I emailed and asked her. Their requirement is either 2 blankets per person or 4 preemie blankets per person.

This also varies by chapter, so be sure to check. The one here in NH only requires one blanket per volunteer and doesn't specify size, although they currently have a need for larger blankets.

Am I missing something with Project Linus? When I downloaded, it said that all blankets must be mailed to their headquarters. Did I not understand that correctly? Why are so many people hand-delivering?

Each chapter has their own set of requirements - incl. whether they can/must be mailed or hand delivered, how many blankets per volunteer, etc.

I am signed up to help the city's library reorganize and clean. It is just 2 weeks before our trip, I could not find anything sooner. So I figured if I dont get my certificate in time then we will donate the ticket. I'll be using the FP option if I get it.

I would have preferred a more humanitarian or animal charity but it didn't work out. (For the record I already give my time to our neighborhood school and Humane Society)

How do I get an e-mail or otherwise sign up/register for this project? BTW, when I go to the Disney Give a Day Web site, this project doesn't come up for me when I enter my zip code... so I don't think I can sign up that way? HELP!?!?!?! :confused3

I found this in the FAQs

Can I search for and select a volunteer opportunity outside the zip code in which I live?

Yes. When you enter your zip code at the time of your volunteer opportunity search, you will be presented with valid opportunities in and around your community. However, you may volunteer for any of the available opportunities that are listed by HandsOn Network within the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico. Simply enter the zip code around which you would like to see results.

The catch is that the site only accommodates searches by zip/location. My suggestion would be to google Project Linus and find a chapter you want to work with, then enter their zip code into the GADGAD system.

Just to reiterate - each Project Linus chapter has their own specific requirements, so be sure to look into the details thoroughly before you sign up. If you aren't local to any chapters, you may need to check out a few to find one that will allow you to ship your blankets to them. FWIW the NH chapter I signed up with allows you to do this. Their website is HERE

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter