Girls On The Run

teacups

DIS Veteran
Has anyone had any involvement with this after school program for girls? Can you tell me your opinion, and/or your daughters opinion? Did they learn what the program claims to teach? Much Thanks!

Our school participates and it is a very popular program. Our DDs are still too young to participate, but I know some girls who have, and they enjoyed it very much.

Denae

Our school participates and it is a very popular program. Our DDs are still too young to participate, but I know some girls who have, and they enjoyed it very much.

Denae

I'm trying to find out of they actually "teach" what they advertise or does it end up being more of a fun after school "meet". If you happend to ever get feedback from the parents I'd love to hear it. THANKS! :thumbsup2

DD9 started with Girls on the Run this past September and she absolutely loves it!!!!! She ran her first 5k last November and had a ball. The Spring season started a few weeks ago and they will be running another 5k in April.

From what I understand, they gather after school, have a healthy snack and discuss whatever that week's "discussion topic" is. Then they head outside for stretching, team-building and RUNNING. Her coaches send an e-mail each week, outlining the topic for the week and updating us on their mileage goals.

They also do one service project per season. Last season they had a bake sale after school and donated the proceeds to charity.

This program has been really good for DD9. It has been a real self-esteem booster and I can't really say enough good things about it.

Mary

Haven't heard of them before. I think it's good that they are teaching girls healthy habits early on.

DD9 started with Girls on the Run this past September and she absolutely loves it!!!!! She ran her first 5k last November and had a ball. The Spring season started a few weeks ago and they will be running another 5k in April.

From what I understand, they gather after school, have a healthy snack and discuss whatever that week's "discussion topic" is. Then they head outside for stretching, team-building and RUNNING. Her coaches send an e-mail each week, outlining the topic for the week and updating us on their mileage goals.

They also do one service project per season. Last season they had a bake sale after school and donated the proceeds to charity.

This program has been really good for DD9. It has been a real self-esteem booster and I can't really say enough good things about it.

Mary

Thanks for the info. That sounds great!

DD was in Girls on the Run and Girls on Track (Middle School). She really liked it. They did have on topic discussions like body image, etc.

DD8 just brought home information last night about Girls on the Run. She is very interested. I told her I would train for the 5k (which will be in May) along with her. I had better get moving.

DD9 is not interested. Go figure.

Our school's program is being run by two college seniors from our local college.

Denae

Hi there! A friend on the WISHboards led me over here:) . I'm a coach for our local Girls on the Run and I can't say enough about the program. We do have a lesson for each practice session and the girls really do learn what the program promises to teach. I see my "girls" showing support and compassion for each other as well as feeling more comfortable with who they are as a person. The physical activity is just the icing on the cake! The spring and fall sessions have different lessons, so we even have girls coming back for a second session. The feedback from our parents has been very positive. It's a great program.

Hi there! A friend on the WISHboards led me over here:) . I'm a coach for our local Girls on the Run and I can't say enough about the program. We do have a lesson for each practice session and the girls really do learn what the program promises to teach. I see my "girls" showing support and compassion for each other as well as feeling more comfortable with who they are as a person. The physical activity is just the icing on the cake! The spring and fall sessions have different lessons, so we even have girls coming back for a second session. The feedback from our parents has been very positive. It's a great program.

I am so glad you came here! Thank you for the information!! :) It soudns like a great program.

I've heard some really good things about them. I'm hoping that by the time DS is old enough, they have a Boys on the Run program as well.

That sounds like a great program. Is it open for all kids to join? At my daughters school this past week they gave out notices to 20 kids in the 4th and 5th grades "inviting" them to participate in some fab five program. Well turns out they handed out the notices to the kids during class, 4 kids in my daughters class got them and of course all the other kids wanted to know what it was they got. Well it turns out its a fitness/health type class but the children "invited" are all the kids that are bigger than the others- not all are fat but some are just big kids but now some of the other kids are calling it "fat club". It was handeld terribly. They should have mailed the notices home to the parents and let them decide if they even wanted to mention it to the children. Some of these kids already are having body issues since some are starting puberty and are self conscious as it is and now they are classified as needing to lose weight. There are a few of the parents up in arms over it and I honestly don't blame them.

That sounds like a great program. Is it open for all kids to join? At my daughters school this past week they gave out notices to 20 kids in the 4th and 5th grades "inviting" them to participate in some fab five program. Well turns out they handed out the notices to the kids during class, 4 kids in my daughters class got them and of course all the other kids wanted to know what it was they got. Well it turns out its a fitness/health type class but the children "invited" are all the kids that are bigger than the others- not all are fat but some are just big kids but now some of the other kids are calling it "fat club". It was handeld terribly. They should have mailed the notices home to the parents and let them decide if they even wanted to mention it to the children. Some of these kids already are having body issues since some are starting puberty and are self conscious as it is and now they are classified as needing to lose weight. There are a few of the parents up in arms over it and I honestly don't blame them.

I hate to bring negativity to the thread.. but this is an example of why we homeschool. I feel so bad for those kids. That label will stick with them a long time if this isnt handled properly. :sad1:

Oh, wow. I'm think that the school just didn't completely think it through first. In these cases, it's important to bring this to the attention of the school's administration and I'm sure it won't happen again.
aprilgail2 said:
That sounds like a great program. Is it open for all kids to join?
Girls on the Run is open to girls in 3-5 grade. The next step is Girls on Track and it's open to girls in middle school. If you go to the Girls on the Run website you can click on a map to see what cities they are in. If there is one near you, you can take your daughter to that location (they do not have to go to the school).

I have 4 boys, but I remember being a young girl and all the "stuff":confused3 that goes along with it. This program deals with helping girls figure out a way to be a good friend, remain true to themselves, and live a healthy lifestyle. I read somewhere that they looked into a Boys on the Run, but boys do not seem to have the same issues that so many girls have, but I would love to see a program happen just the same.:goodvibes I have moms at school constantly say..."We need a Moms on the Run"....now, that would be awesome!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter